What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

He may be the anti-christ. His building is 666, he's been selected to broker a peace deal in the Middle East, as the prophecy says, and he has that stereotypically young and charismatic look and overachiever persona an anti-christ would have. Jared Kushner is the Beast.

1 minute ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

He may be the anti-christ. His building is 666, he's been selected to broker a peace deal in the Middle East, as the prophecy says, and he has that stereotypically young and charismatic look and persona an anti-christ would have. Jared Kushner is the Beast.

I hear he has Goldsmith's brilliant score for Omen III: The Final Conflict on shuffle.

Hunger Games 4.

The first film in this saga made a huge impression on me because it was so raw, brutal and moving. The second film was nearly as good as the first one. But then, they had to make the third film for no other reason than financial greed. And finally, there's this one. I don't really know how to feel about it. I only really started to enjoy this one at the 40-minute mark. It's not a bad film, but it's certainly not good either. It's all doom and gloom. I realise this is not a fairy-tale, but there's just something about these first two films that's absent in the last two, even though I can't say exactly what that is. It's just more of the same. And then, the finale started to unfold and I just found it absurd. But now that it's all over and now that the whole conclusion is slowly sinking in, I must admit the ending probably isn't that bad. It's just not the grand finale I was hoping for. There's no real closure, no relief after this harrowing story, though, and that bothers me.

Like in the previous film, James Newton Howard's score contained lots of nice bits, but overall it's not really a score I like. Obviously, Howard needed to do what he did for the story's purposes, but I know he can write much more interesting, dark music than what he did for this franchise. But as the film drew to a close, the score really started to become noticeable and whatever problems this score has, I'm 100% sure Howard is not to blame for them.

Not sure about that, I feel he composes too much too quickly, and always has.  The scores that stick out are great, but he had a pretty solid period from the late 90s to the mid 2000s.  By numbers, the uninteresting seem to outweigh the interesting.  Thankfully there are enough gems to latch onto.

22 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

The only component of The Neon Demon I liked was its synergy between its stylish high contrast images (unbelievably accomplished anamorphic cinematography) and the Carpenter-like score. I'd like to even buy the soundtrack!

But whatever story they were trying to convey here was weak and I've seen it done better and more engaging elsewhere, like Mulholland Drive for instance.

I also thought Elle Fanning's boyfriend was the most normal character. He seemed to be the only one aware of how ridiculous this industry was that she was becoming absorbed in, and how shallow the culture of the city can be.

I read that the film was simultaneously booed and cheered at Cannes. I wonder if the sharply divided reaction was influenced by the film's condemnation of an industry that many of them are involved in by illustrating its Lolita-obsessed culture through Satanic symbolism, witch covens, pedophelia, necrophelia and cannibalism? Sounds like it touched a little nerve.

The movie isn't complicated at all. Its supremely simplistic message of society defining and consuming beauty standards is boringly portrayed literally.

Movie's trash!

11 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Only Ivanka knows whether there's a special birthmark beneath his hair.

True. The countless women he has 'groped' weren't allowed to touch his hair.

12 hours ago, Richard said:

Kraftwerk :D

Now you're talking!

13 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Are we the last ones left alive?

Are we the only human beings to survive..."

RED SECTOR A! Damn, why didn't I think of that?! Nice.

13 hours ago, Quintus said:

Eh? He was a bit of a bad 'un an all, but come on, you gotta give the man his jew.

I'm liking that, Lee, even though I probably shouldn't.

Café Society

Sort of a quasi reworking of Radio Days, which is a good thing! It has Woody's narration, the dreamy photography, a funny neighbourhood dispute over a loud radio that ends fatally, and concludes with a New Year celebration. Lex Luthor makes an effective Woody stand-in, although sometimes it feels like parody impersonation. Blake Lively and Kristen Stewart are sexy as fuck in this movie, especially the latter who actually smiles in this. I think Justin should watch these movies, they'll reinforce his views on women.

Judge Dredd

This is the third funny book movie I've seen Diane Lane in and it's easily her best appearance. She's hot! Stallone is at his lispiest, with crooked mouth yelling galore. It's so obvious George Lucas must have enjoyed it back when it was released. I noticed several Star Wars connections. The most obvious is that the speeder chase was totally ripped off by Lucas for Attack of the Clones. Basically, the city in this movie became Coruscant. There's a building that looks like the Jedi temple and there's even a thing that looks like the spire they added to Star Tours at Disneyland in the late 90s. It has an 80s Cannon vibe to it, but with perfectly dated stylish 90s CGI.

I never said it was great. There's a time and place for a funny book movie where Sylvester Stallone has a ridiculously enormous silver codpiece and awkwardly rides a fat motorcycle through a fire in the street while Silvestri makes even a John Williams popcorn movie score seem restrained. And a locker room scene where Diane Lane with nice boobies is talking to Dredd and he appears to have bigger tits than she does.

Star Trek 2.

Hmm... I don't really understand why the first film got such negative reviews and found it much better than this one. I'm still feeling uncomfortable in this futuristic world, for want of a better word. Why is it so difficult to explain basic things such as: does everyone travel constantly in the future, why does Kirk explore space, what is warp speed, Starfleet, Klingon etc.? Why do I have to glue all the puzzle pieces together myself? Not that I didn't understand the story, that was simple enough (and for a super-intelligent being, Kahn is pretty uncomplicated if you ask me, and his backstory is superficial at best). I still find Spock the best character because he's the only one who seems to have any emotional depth, ironically.

And why is everyone always praising James Horner's score? Just like the original Star Wars trilogy, this music doesn't affect me in the slightest. Yes, there are some nice moments here and there, but honestly, Spock's death scene couldn't have been scored in a more counter-intuitive way.

We need Alex Kurtzmers and J.J. Abrams to explain it better. How it was Kirk's destiny to go into space and be like his father...

Sounds like nothing I've ever seen before!

52 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Because the Star Trek films were done first and foremost for fans of the show, so they didn't feel the need to explain stuff the fans already knew about.

Not really.  If they were done first and foremost for fans of the show, they wouldn't have half of the typical action blockbuster, crowd pleasing (or so they think) crap that they crammed those films with.

The only film I really think was made for fans of the show was the first one. Which also happens to be the best (flawed as it is).