What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

No worries, you added a description afterwards.

But in all seriousness, if you find my statements ridiculous, please tell me where I can find music as inspiring and enjoyable as Duel of the Fates, Across The Stars and above all Anakin's Dark Deeds in the OT because I can't.

For starters, in pretty much every movement from the Star Wars suite, except perhaps The Little People (I like it perfectly well, but I wouldn't count it among my standout favourites). And that's only the first film, and it doesn't even include stuff like Binary Sunset.

As romantic themes go, there are no better ones than Princess Leia.

44 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

If it's treason, then, so be it. The prequels are better than the originals.

It's not treason.  It is a bit silly.

9 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Well to each his own, but no cue from the OT sounds equally haunting as the ending of Anakin's Dark Deeds to me.

There's other ways for music to be good than to sound haunting

Friday night we saw the coolest thing at Alamo Drafthouse - a very nice print of Nosferatu with live performed score by the group Invincible Czars.

They have created scores for several silent films and have garnered quite a following in the Austin area, now they are touring across the country as well -

http://invincibleczars.com/silent-film/

4 guys, playing 15 instruments - very creative, super creepy, and impressive score with nods to Bartok and other folk music.

Really, really well done.  Highly recommend if they come to your area!

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Black Narcissus

Once every two years or so i watch this and am still amazed how it oozes cinematic-ness. So many filmmakers saw this and were inspired:

201520114_4_IMG_FIX_700x700.jpg

3fd11a95763e6732fa84f75332e668af.jpg

007-the-black-narcissus-theredlist.jpg

Geez, Louise! Pub, you have fucking excelled yourself!

This is, truly, one of the greatest films ever released! It does ooze cinema-ness. It's also drenched in sexual repression, and longing, with a sharp script, fine performances, and cinematography by Jack Cardiff to absolutely cry over. A diamond of a film.

On 29/09/2017 at 11:55 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Snotty!

Snotty?!

Black Narcissus is amazing.  I’m also partial to A Canterbury Tale which I watched last year.  It’s slow and much stranger than you might expect in a quiet way, but it rewards the patient viewer.

Thank God for Criterion, making sure Powell & Pressburger films stay in print in pristine quality

21 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Black Narcissus is amazing.  I’m also partial to A Canterbury Tale which I watched last year.  It’s slow and much stranger than you might expect in a quiet way, but it rewards the patient viewer.

Thank God for Criterion, making sure Powell & Pressburger films stay in print in pristine quality

Criterion is life!

11 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Huh? I don't love the prequels, I just said they were better than the originals and that's not such a hard accomplishment. Especially music-wise, I'd choose the prequels any time.

So you're not only blind but deaf too! ;)

Watched the Dark Knight Trilogy yesterday for the first time and was impressed. Have to say however that the replacement of Katie Holmes by Maggie Gyllenhaal was a downer..... Very disappointing.

Two things occurred to me: Almost all Gotham scenes in BB are during night. That changes in TDK and in TDKR almost every scene is in daylight. Also, it seems that Gotham in BB is represented more by CGI work (especially around the monorail scenes). In TDK there are more realistic aerial view shots and finally in TDKR one is supposed to recognize Manhattan. Any thoughts? 

22 hours ago, publicist said:

YOU are dull!

Seriously dude, there is no reason for posts like this.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a different opinion on something and stating what it is when others have stated theirs, but do so without insulting others, please.

Harriet Craig

I've seen a few Joan Crawford films now and this is by far her bitchiest role. The way she treats her house servants, her relatives and finally her husband is deplorable. I loved it! Also shows how much range she had as an actress as she couldn't have been more different as a far more sympathetic character in Autumn Leaves or her more deceptively benign persona in Baby Jane.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Seriously dude, there is no reason for posts like this.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a different opinion on something and stating what it is when others have stated theirs, but do so without insulting others, please.

Stop dude-ing me. I have insulted no one. Jeez, don't you ever have something like a relaxed pub sparring with friends or so? Are you a robot? 

No one around here insults other members as often as you do.  Just because has a different opinion than you about a score doesn't mean you have to insult them personally.

May i remind you that you have been called out often on certain unwelcome behavioural patterns that you never would dream of abandoning? I know that you have trouble differentiating certain tones that don't have 15 smileys or harhar's behind them, but then, on the other hand, are gobsmackingly lassez-faire about real nasty comments, be they personal, racist etc. that one finds quite regularly here (apart from my worst offenses).

But ok, since this obviously all is very hard to take, i just make more smiley...:sleepy:

17 hours ago, lemoncurd said:

Watched the Dark Knight Trilogy yesterday for the first time and was impressed. Have to say however that the replacement of Katie Holmes by Maggie Gyllenhaal was a downer..... Very disappointing.

Two things occurred to me: Almost all Gotham scenes in BB are during night. That changes in TDK and in TDKR almost every scene is in daylight. Also, it seems that Gotham in BB is represented more by CGI work (especially around the monorail scenes). In TDK there are more realistic aerial view shots and finally in TDKR one is supposed to recognize Manhattan. Any thoughts? 

The monorail in Begins is a miniature. 

3 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

For a film that people touted as "more realistic", it sure still had a fakey look about it.

When people said that they didn't refer to how fake or real the monorail looks.

Queen Bee

Another 50s flick where Joan Crawford essentially plays herself by being a bitchy matriarch who alienates everyone in her household. Even pushing some poor souls to suicide. Riveting family melodrama with Joan as stunningly wenchy as ever.

7OCAgq8.jpg

Week-End À Zuydcoote (a.k.a. Weekend At Dunkirk) - Henri Verneuil (1964)

To anyone who hasn't watched Dunkirk yet: you'd be better off watching Week-End À Zuydcoote than wasting your time with Nolan's latest flick. It's a superior film in every way: technically and visually more impressive (if you thought Dunkirk made the whole operation feel too small-scale, this film will leave you much more satisfied), musically much more enjoyable, and storywise more engaging. The film also has more interesting things to say about that particular operation as well as war in general, and it does so via many memorable scenes (with a great balance of seriousness and irony). It comes highly recommended (people like @publicist and @Muad'Dib would probably like it, methinks)!

8/10

chevroletcanadard9.6996.jpg

NEzzxX5.jpg

images-w1400.jpg?1501612427

images-w1400.jpg?1501612477

140504-108.jpg

i042768.jpg

photo-7770-630-0-90.jpg

P.S.: Found this rather funny video, in which a guy recreated the Dunkirk trailer with footage from Week-End À Zuydcoote and which shows how much of an unabashed plagiarist Nolan is!

Ben-Hur - I was expecting a 60 year old film with an almost 4 hour running time to be a bit of a slog to get through. Well I was completely wrong. I didn't immediately delete it from my hard drive, which means it gets the Official Holko Seal of Approval! It grabbed my attention from the start and seemed half as long at the end. The sets are impressive, the acting is good (apart from a few scenes which seem a little soap opera-ish today), Rózsa is fantastic, the atmosphere is immersive. The chariot race with its 30 minute buildup is a jaw-dropping and exciting spectacle. As insensitive as I've become to violent injuries through fake movie effects, murderous video games, and youtube fail compilations, I winced and "OOOOOOHH"-ed at every poor racer breaking half their bones, especially Judah's jump and Messala's fall - maybe because I was so immersed, or my brain subconsciously knew that these must have been actually done by real stuntmen in-camera.  Watching this on the gigantic screens of the time must have been a hell of an experience. I also liked the Jesus aspect of the story more than I expected, it gave me a new perspective on the roots of religion, and fit in very well as a closure to Judah's story - that is, except for the miraculous healng, which I wish would've been left out. The lepers finally awaiting death with peace beause of JC's impact is a great end for them, and Judah finding them dead and NOT throwing a tantrum for once would've shown again how much he's grown. But I guess the folks of the 50's needed a sappy, sugary laugh-it-up enormous hug ending shot to keep them buying the new nuclear blast-resistant fridges. (I guess it's taken from the book, but if that's the case, I wouldn't mind changing it.) The core revenge story may be a bit cliched today, but I didn't mind it as much as in the next exhibit - 

Mad Max - That's quite a change, isn't it? Apart from a few fun stunts, I didn't think it had much to offer. The acting is not spectacular (but neither is it supposed to be), the story and characters are a bit chiched (apart from NIIGHT RIIIDER), and the look and feel of the world is pretty far from what I expected. Guess it's my fault for having watched Fury Road before. Once I started looking at it as a true documentary of Aussie life, it became a bit more fun (sorry!). I wouldn't deem it MEDIOCRE, it has a distinctive style and feel, but ultimately not my cup of tea. The lack of info about the armageddon bothered me at the beginning, but afterwards I realised it just added more to the feeling of chaos and uncertainty in this civilisation just starting to break down. I still look forward to the next installments.

An Affair to Remember

There's something inherently surreal and dreamlike about those old CinemaScope lenses that Fox used in the 50s. They might have been more cumbersome and distorted than their improved Panavision Anamorphic descendents, but they had a stylised look that was uniquely Hollywood of the period.

Anyhoo, about the movie. Cary Grant wheels out the usual charm at playing himself, but Deborah Kerr steals it with her flaming red Julia Gillard hair that'd get Stevfefe more excited than seeing Kira getting a sensual massage.

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

7OCAgq8.jpg

This looks really good. Will check it out! Thanks for the recommendation BB.

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

7OCAgq8.jpg

To anyone who hasn't watched Dunkirk yet: you'd be better off watching Week-End À Zuydcoote than wasting your time with Nolan's latest flick. It's a superior film in every way: technically and visually more impressive (if you thought Dunkirk made the whole operation feel too small-scale, this film will leave you much more satisfied), musically much more enjoyable, and storywise more engaging. The film also has more interesting things to say about that particular operation as well as war in general, and it does so via many memorable scenes (with a great balance of seriousness and irony). It comes highly recommended (people like @publicist and @Muad'Dib would probably like it, methinks)!

8/10

chevroletcanadard9.6996.jpg

NEzzxX5.jpg

images-w1400.jpg?1501612427

images-w1400.jpg?1501612477

140504-108.jpg

i042768.jpg

photo-7770-630-0-90.jpg

P.S.: Found this rather funny video, in which a guy recreated the Dunkirk trailer with footage from Week-End À Zuydcoote and which shows how much of an unabashed plagiarist Nolan is!

Careful! The Great TGP is ever watchful! He'll see you and tell you why you're wrong!!

2 hours ago, KK said:

This looks really good. Will check it out! Thanks for the recommendation BB.

As far as i remember there is a merry band of french soldiers (led by Bebel, naturally) that have a kind of camping site at the beach and the charming family-by-necessity idea is something Nolan for all his technical wizardry couldn't get into his ultra-solemn storytelling even if it bit him in the ass. But it's a french movie, so there's a gallic savoir vivre that just eludes british or american filmmakers.

12 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I feel ashamed for doubting and mocking our Lord and Saviour Christopher, the son of Nolan. The protector of the celluloid. The breaker of pixels. Father of IMAX. The undigitized.

It was just a matter of time for you to see the light, brother. Others will follow. It is inevitable.

Karol

Army of Shadows (1969; Jean-Pierre Melville)

A movie I came so close to putting on my all-time favorites list, I felt it was only fair to it that I watch it tonight.

It’s pretty much a perfect movie and one of the best examples of Melville’s distinct directorial style.  Most of his films tell their stories so visually there’s hardly any need for dialogue at all.  And yet they never come across as pretentiously minimalist or slow for he has a love of entertaining suspense sequences that reveals his love of Hollywood masters like Hitchcock.

Army of Shadows is an episodic, unromantic portrait of a French Resistance cell in WWII.  Melville’s touch for hiring fascinating character actors is on full display here, as each agent is unique and fascinating to watch, each desperate and sure to die violently but remaining in the fray.  My favorite is the heartbreaking vignette where Jean-Francois fakes leaving the Resistance to try and help rescue his old friend captured by the Gestapo.  This rescue fails and his comrades never even know of his pointless sacrifice.  He never even knows that his brother is the “Big Boss” of the Resistance!!

The firing squad sequence is just classic visual suspense and belongs in any montage of great movie moments.

See this movie of you haven’t!

P.S. The lead actor Lino Ventura looks so much like Roy Scheider it’s uncanny.

P.P.S. The score by Eric de Marsan is great and a good listen