What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Just now, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Ocean's Thirteen

Better than Twelve, definitely. Al Pacino and his wig make a great foil for our thieving heroes. What happened to CZJ and that shiela who looks like Julia Roberts?

Well now you're all caught up and ready to see Ocean's Eight when it hits theaters next Summer.

On 25/10/2017 at 4:13 PM, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Ocean's Twelve

What happened to the first ten of these anyway? So this one isn't anywhere near as good as the first. In fact, it's a friggin' disappointment! The one gag I like is setting up Tess as a Julia Roberts doppleganger. That was clever until they decided to drag it out forever. Unlike the first one, I had no idea what they were trying to rob, or what that weirdo Vincent Cassell had to do with anything. I'll persevere with Ocean's Thirteen just because.

See, I've never seen this because I heard about this bit and just knew that if I watched it my brain would go 'Umm ... well if they're going down the road of that in-joke with Roberts, how come nobody has brought up that Clooney's character looks exactly like Clooney, Brad Pitt's looks exactly like Pitt, Damon's looks exactly like Matt Damon etc etc etc' and BOOM ... I'd be 'thrown out' of the film, suspension of disbelief in tatters.     

The Nanny

A near forgotten Hammer flick where an aging Bette Davis fully embraces her status as a psycho-biddy icon and runs barking mad with it. It's not as in-yer-face as her Robert Aldrich pictures, as she almost underplays the role of a deeply disturbed housekeeper, who masquerades her insanity with a calm, pleasant demeanour and orderly conduct. The story slowly reveals her demons through flashbacks, and you're almost shocked by how mad she really is! But it's not so superficial, as she's portrayed in a highly sympathetic manner. Was she capable of a bad performance? So far, I haven't seen one!

Two 30-year old flicks in these last few days - 

The Running Man - enjoyable sci-fi action nonsense with Ahnult, based on one of the novels written by Stephen King under his Richard Bachman pseudonym (but bearing little resemblance to it, if memory serves). The opening of the movie is set in 2017, which must've seemed like the far-flung future then. 

Hellraiser - Hallowe'en screening at Belfast's 'arthouse' cinema. I took one of these themed drinks into the screening with me, very nice it was too - 

Image may contain: screen and indoor

As for the film ... well, some of the more 'rubbery' effects haven't aged well, and England unconvincingly stands in for the US throughout. But the Cenobites remain the stuff of nightmares  ... 'Pinhead' became a horror icon, of course. 

Julia... a psycho biddy goddess of the 80s. She was the real villain of the film. The second film even makes an overt reference to the fairy tale dynamic between her and the stepdaughter.

Ashley Lawrence was a real cutie too.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAerAAAAJDNlYWFkZDg4LWI5YTEt

The Court Jester

Forgot how great this old Danny Kaye spoof actually was (another movie running endlessly on german tv back in the 80's), especially as all supporting players join in on the fun. It's of course too much Technicolor/Vistavision for Monty Python but the seeds were sown here. Besides the famous pellet-with -the-poison number there is also a breathtaking sword fight with Basil Rathbone that still looks stunning.

39 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

We at Disney like to thank crocs . As long as you keep watching them, we keep on making them.

Disney makes shoes now, too? 

<runs to Payless for some Disney crocs>

The Lobster.

Hmm... I really liked the first part, but then all the unexplained things started bothering me, like: how did this society come about, why does everyone absolutely have to have a partner, or more importantly, what is going on with people's feelings in this world? Some of the characters definitely had some emotions, but others clearly didn't. During the second half, I was especially annoyed because of the weird plot twists and it's still not clear to me why the Loners did what they did and what they hoped to achieve or which consequences all their actions had. The ending felt unresolved (for the characters) as well. Having said all that, I really liked Rachel Weisz and Olivia Colman and wouldn't mind having a partner with their kind of voices at all.

The music was effective as well. This was only the second time I've watched a film where the score consisted of strings only and source music, but this time it really worked very well.

14 hours ago, Quintus said:

The Running Man is an endless rewatchable guilty pleasure, I love it. 

eJbnIr1.jpg

Agreed! Faltermeyer really pushes it over the edge, the perfect amount of ridiculous, dramatic earnestness to run with how wacked out everything is. It's one of those movies, along with Demolition Man, that constantly teeters between being masterfully satirical and extremely dumb.

It's unrealistically highly regarded around these parts. It doesn't make any sense, really. It's more of a series for Drax and I, not Alexcremers, Quint, Stevfefe etc. It's a glorified soap opera.

No, no. You see, they "understand" that it's supposed to be that way! It's like how they constantly reference that Starship Troopers is political satire. That's all fine and dandy, but it does nothing to enhance the movie. It's a violent 90210 space movie, not a political statement. It's entertaining one way, not the other.

The witch being killed by a bucket of water is one of the most contrived and ridiculous endings for a character ever. It's what everyone on the internet these days refers to as "deus ex machina". It may be the ultimate example.

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

The witch being killed by a bucket of water is one of the most contrived and ridiculous endings for a character ever. 

No, that title goes to your beloved take off Darth Vader's mask scene.

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

No, that title goes to your beloved take off Darth Vader's mask scene.

That's the Return of the Jedi. I watch the prequels and the Ewok movies.