What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I don't think so.  I took notice of her in her early film roles (Dark City, The Limey, Sugar and Spice, and Mulholland Dr).  After those, she got a TV show where she co-starred with John Stamos called Thieves in 2001 that I liked a lot, but it got canceled before its first season even finished.   They she showed up as Michael's wife on ALIAS when it did that time-jump at the start of the third season, then was in that Amityville Horror remake with Ryan Reynolds and Derailed with Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston before she disappeared and I hadn't seen her since!

Ah yes, now I remember her. I liked Triangle.

MV5BY2VlODI5ZmMtZDExYS00OWI4LWJiMWItZWZk

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Anyway, it serves as a good reminder to those who accuse Hollywood of running out of ideas that it has been remaking movies from the beginning of film. 

Some of the great classics are remakes. Like The Adventures of Robin Hood. Or Ben-Hur. That one's a remake of a film based on a book.

Yes, a remake or readaptation is certainly not bad by definition.  The Coens' True Grit is a perfect example of a great one that I think betters the original.  They just mostly suck.  Then again, so do most movies!

Jackie.

Yeah, so... This weekend, the TV guide only offered stupid films again, so I thought I'd seek refuge in the movies subscription-based channels were offering and ended up choosing Jackie, thinking an 89% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes meant that it would be worth watching, but I was disappointed nevertheless.

Natalie Portman really is a versatile actress and her performance was great. But assuming her portrayal of the First Lady was accurate, I can't help wondering why people liked such a self-centred and annoying woman who sometimes made a really stupid impression and even though she went to church, she clearly worshipped her husband more than her own God (and if you ask me, she was kind of unhealthily obsessed here). After 50 minutes, I had grown so tired of her that I found myself reading up on conspiracy theories about JFK's death while impatiently waiting for the film to do something interesting. Then, there was a priest who said some extremely sensible things at the end, except that they don't make any sense when they come from a priest, in my opinion.

The score is utterly inappropriate too. Given the fact that Jackie wants to honour her husband and seeing as this film is all about her venerating the presidency, you'd think someone would have have remembered to use some stately brass somewhere, but no. The first cue sounded like something that cinemas play after advertisements to test their surround sound systems. The rest was repetitive, emotionally detached and overall just bad.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Seen it, don't remember a thing. That's the thing with modern horror, they all go for making the viewer jump in his seat with sudden loud sounds. That's why I like It Follows and Funny Games. They do something I like better.

If you don't remember a thing... how do you know you've seen it? *gasp!*

I think I was just pleasantly surprised by Sinister 2 because I was expecting it to be terrible after reading the critical response. And it never had a theatrical or home video release in Australia, so the cable broadcast last night was essentially the premiere here!

Passengers

Yeah it was alright. Perfectly illustrates that no matter how far into the future you go, robots and AI are fucking stupid and only as good as what you put into them. And that JLaw, phwoar... with a silky smooth, athletic bod like hers, she'd give an impotent man a nice, whopping big stiffy. Some of her lines were dumb and wanky though.

There's a theory out there that claims Passengers could have been a much better movie if it was written or edited in such way that we see the movie through Jennifer Lawrence's eyes.

A missed opportunity ...

Barefoot in The Park

I don't have anything against Neil Simon but this one is simply too corny. I couldn't stomach it any longer ...

d21edc56cca86bffc8d52d97c0b7f652--funny-

This one is much better:

4ae70a76cf19d9a27ed71fd5c69e7314--memoir

Or this one:

Biloxi_Blues.jpg

Alex

Allied

Yeah it was alright. Looks like these lavish romantic star vehicles are coming back in vogue, like Passengers. That Marion Courtyard chick has nice tits. She really looks like a woman from the 40s. Not sure who's sexier, her or JLaw?

Kingdom of Heaven

Hey this was alright. Visually breathtaking, Eva Green looks amazing until she gives herself a boyish pixie cut, and I nearly did a double take when I heard some familiar Jerry Goldsmith music show up. I found the internal Jerusalem politics a bit hard to follow at first, but none of that matters when the barbarian hordes come knocking at the door... and at the end the boss Muslim bloke has a heart of gold? Come on!

Strait-Jacket

Good in a 'so bad, it's good' kind of way. One of Joan Crawford's psycho-biddy renaissance films of the 60s is made with the production value of a tele movie from the time. She performs her character's descent into insanity with finesse and an odd dash of classiness. But it ain't as face value as you might think, there's a twist that makes it feel somewhat anti-climactic. Might not be worth losing your head over unless you're a fan of the actress, or even Diane Baker, who I didn't know was such a cutie.

Dead Ringer

Ah so we get two Bettes for the price of one. Being her professional reunion with Paul Henreid, one major component that stuck out at me was Andre Previn's score, which blatantly rips off Max Steiner's Now, Voyager theme and gives it an appropriately sinister twist. Very icy performance from Davis, even when she's supposed to be all sweet with Karl Malden, which makes his canonising speech about her at the end less believable. High camp value!

The Last Samurai

This was unexpectedly good, with a simple story, decent performances and amazing scenery. A bit slow moving, but the battle scenes are amazing, and that machine gun moment was awesome! Liked the Hans Zimmer score too, and that Japanese chick.

Inception.

This is the third time I've watched it and I still really like it, though there are some minor 'plot holes':
1. How on earth can Arthur forget to check whether Fischer's subconscious has been militarised? That's just not credible.
2. Everyone clearly knows Cobb's having some serious problems, but they follow him blindly nevertheless and only ask questions when it's too late.
3. When Fischer gets killed in level 3, why does Cobb need Ariadne to remind him he can still go after him in Limbo? He's been doing this stuff for years.
4. How is Fischer not going to remember anything from these wild dreams?
5. Finally, it seems absurd that Cobb and Saito will be able to lead normal lives again after having been stuck in Limbo for so long.
Other than that, great film. Tom Hardy is as good as always, the hotel room scene still moved me, but I somehow had the impression that Watanabe's English speaking skills had deteriorated since The Last Samurai.

Hans Zimmer's score is still one of my favourites. Finally, he tried something new. My only problem with the score is that the meaning of the 'totem theme' still isn't clear to me because it's used liberally throughout the entire movie, or maybe that's just Zimmer showing off with his themes (which are great).

The sound mix is too heavily focused on the front speakers and if anyone can help me find a way to remove all that annoying rumbling from today's blockbusters, please come forward. Even if I activate all the 'remove low frequencies' settings, lots of things still sound like earthquakes.

The Queen

Gripping depiction of Her Majesty when she was bullied by an angry mob to make an insincere statement about a bizarrely canonised dead media whore who married into a well-off British family. The Queen should have stood her ground and told her subjects where to shove their Lady Di. Charles seemed like a real drip. Alexandre Desplat's score was a stand-out. Interestingly, the Royals have cheap CRT TV brands like Bush and Daewoo, but everyone else has higher end brands like Sharp, Philips and Sony.

Indiscreet

Cary Grant always seems to be having affairs in these sorts of movies. But of course, here it's all a 'fake' affair with Ingrid Bergman, who looks as good as ever in this late 50s flick. Am I the only one at JWfan routinely watching these antiques?

Bewitched.

Well, that was fun. Ridiculous, of course, but I had a good laugh. Nicole Kidman was kind of cute, Will Ferrell was hilarious at times and Michael Caine is, well, Michael Caine. I had a rather exhausting day today and just wanted to empty the brain. This film did the job, though the scriptwriters could have used some grammar lessons: men cannot be witches.

The songs were nice and the score was at times very playful and appropriate, but I missed celesta and more magic.

Napoleon Dynamite

Easily my favorite comedy. Basically every line is a joke or at least leads into one. I can understand why it's polarizing though.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Pretty good! It's like a mix of the first Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I bought Napoleon Dynamite back in the day, I watched it twice. I tried to force myself into finding it funny, but it just wouldn't happen. No.

I see people say this a lot. So why is it so popular?

Domestic American audiences seem to find this variety of off-beat good humoured quirkiness utterly hilarious. Parks and Recreation, The Last Man on Earth etc etc. Everyone else just stares at it, bemused and resolutely unamused.

Funny Games (remake)

These home invasion movies should be required viewing for everyone, because it could happen to you. It's flicks like this that reinforce my belief that we should all be required to carry a firearm at all times. But I suppose it would be useless in this movie because the home invaders can also control time and reality.