What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Forgot how terrible the ending moments are though. Not the twist itself, but the “where are they now” text and freeze frames, but I guess it was trying to play into the comic book role. 

You guess?! The whole movie is a superhero origin story but  you dislike it when it plays with that? OAJWF!

Review_36_Photo_2_-_Atlantic_City_(1980)

1980 film. 5 Oscar nominations including best picture, direction, screenplay, best actor/actress.

Saw reviews here and there with everyone saying the best.

I don't know what I missed, but I didn't care for it at all!

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

You guess?! The whole movie is a superhero origin story but  you dislike it when it plays with that? OAJWF!

I’ve never read a comic book before, do they always end with a block of text telling you what the characters do in the next issue?

40 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Everyone that has seen the film and heard the score, of course. You guys will not be an exception. The will of the collective is too strong.

...but not for the will of the Valiant Cremers. Unrelated question that just sprang to mind, I saw you watched the new Spider-Man movie, which Marvel movie do you think you'll watch next? ;) 

The first one that is available, of course! Unless it's Doctor Strange 2 or Ant-Man 2, I'm happily skipping those. Black Panther should be fun and colorful, though. And who doesn't want to see Thanos punching through the indestructible shield of the Cap?!

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Everyone that has seen the film and heard the score, of course. You guys will not be an exception. The will of the collective is too strong.

The Collective can go screw itself.

I am not a number, I am a free man!

Divergent.

Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Divergent... What is it that people like about teenagers fighting each other in dystopian societies?

The first half was all right, though I quickly became tired of the countless scenes in which Four stalked Tris. I got bored during the second half, but have to admit that the third act really surprised me pleasantly, though some of it was predictable and I do think that the movie was too fast-paced and that they were trying to put too much into it. Some parts were rather cheesy as well, but I guess that if the boys got Maze Runner, the girls deserved Divergent.

Tom Holkenborg's score was all right and I especially liked the non-action parts. Why can't that guy just use his proper name, though? Does he think Junkie XL sounds so much better or will using nicknames be the next phase in the hype surrounding Hans Zimmer's associates?

Jurassic World.

Jurassic Park was great. The Lost World was boring and I only remember one scene from Jurassic Park III. By that time, my mind was made up: you can only make one good film to prove that mankind should not breed dinosaurs, so I thought this one would be the same all over again... and it was, but this time I enjoyed it. There wasn't a dull moment anywhere, though I'm really starting to wonder how many films they'll still make that contain a scene in which a man holds out his hand to a woman and the woman bravely walks off on her own. Hollywood, I know perfectly well women are equal to men. You clearly don't.

Even Giacchino's score amazed me. This will probably become my favourite Jurassic score after Jurassic Park. I really loved the 'Christmas-y' parts and John Williams' old themes were a joy to hear again as well, though Giacchino's new theme isn't memorable (it does work) and as usual, the lack of reverb reduces the excitement dramatically.

45 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Fantastic Voyage (1966)

Wow, what a thrilling film! I watched with great anxiety some scenes!

I 'm not sure how Innerspace compares to this.

Racquel Welsh in that white wetsuit :thumbup:

INNERSPACE is almost FV played for laughs. The CD booklet notes say that the original premise was "put Dean Martin inside Jerry Lewis".

It's a fun ride, with possibly - no, probably -  the weirdest line of dialog I've ever heard.

I'm watching A Night to Remember. It's on YouTube. I've always enjoyed this one for being reasonably accurate to the history as opposed to Cameron's, which was more the legend of Titanic. It's also fun to track the evolution of shots and lines from the 1997 movie which were copied directly from here. You can never have enough Titanic.

One of these days, I'll have to revisit the 1996 TV movie...

The Big Short

It was okay. Overlong and a bit idiosyncratic with the mockumentary style popping in randomly, but I liked the cast. 

2 hours ago, Hawmy said:

True Grit (1969)

Eh. I'm not sure I'm a fan of westerns in general. It was a fine movie, but I didn't really like it. Not sure why

American westerns are a completely different beast to the Italian westerns. Watch those instead. 

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

No way, on balance there's far more better US ones than there are Spaghetti. Have you seen The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance? The Ballet of Cable Hogue? From Noon Till Three, A Big Hand for the Little Lady, the list covers the whole gamut and is endless. 

"THE BALLET OF CABLE HOGUE"? :lol:

...PALE RIDER, JEREMIAH JOHNSON, TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARAH, THE MISSOURI BREAKS, McKENNA'S GOLD, SHALAKO, plus the daddy of them all, THE SEARCHERS.

2 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Old Westerns are fertile ground for me to further explore. I've seen a few of the big ones like Shane, The Big Country, How the West Was Won, Gunfight at the OK Corral, Bandolero, etc.

These are all good.