What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

20 minutes ago, Jerry said:

@Fancyarcher Is that Gus the Hyena from the Lion King?

It's Dante the dog from Coco (I assume you haven't seen the film yet). I was considering changing my profile pic, but I got a bit too lazy, and just decided to keep it as it is right now. 

On 22/02/2018 at 9:36 PM, Fancyarcher said:

It's Dante the dog from Coco (I assume you haven't seen the film yet). I was considering changing my profile pic, but I got a bit too lazy, and just decided to keep it as it is right now. 

Wow, I really thought it was a hyena. Nice avatar in any case!

10 minutes ago, Jerry said:

TBH it looks like Gus the Hyena from The Lion King.

It does look a bit similar in design to the hyenas from The Lion King, though it's based directly off a Mexican Xolo. 

The Terminator.

Pretty good. I usually avoid action movies because they rarely have compelling plots, but this one had a really interesting story. Only the ending bothered me, the entire sequence in the factory just wasn't necessary.

The score was quite original. I didn't like all of it, but it certainly worked.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Only the ending bothered me, the entire sequence in the factory just wasn't necessary.

Interesting, that's just what the studio thought, they wanted Cameron to stop "wasting" money on more expensive effects shots.

Personally, I think it works really well and brings out many of the movie's themes. Instead of being the passive recipient of defense, Sarah loses Reese and has to fight off this machine alone, and she actually manages it, starting to become that legendary future leader of the resistance she was only told to be so far.

Having Arnie simply die in the fire would be anticlimactic, we know there's metal underneath, how hot could those flames be to destroy it? Also, with it having a human appearance, however beat-up he looked and however robotic he acted, we still had some subconscious sympathy for him - humans can possibly be reasoned with, or killed relatively easily. When he's just a menacing-looking frame of shiny metal, he finally truly becomes this terrifying, unstoppable, invincible force of nature, especially with getting up even when blown to pieces.

I also like how the film is a big warning for taking technology too far, but it's still technology that ultimately destroys the Terminator - he's squashed under a hydraulic press.

And it also sets up the sequel, which is not a light point - one can't even say that the main plot point is only retconning and wasn't thought up for the first one, because a scene of finding the pieces and revealing the factory was Cyberdyne was actually shot for it but got cut.

Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Man Tell No Tales - Well it wasn't exactly boring, but this is a franchise that's clearly tired, even Depp is basically going through the motions. How many times are we going to get the same Sparrow revenge plot, and the inclusion of wannabe "Elizabeth", and wannabe "Will", was whatever. Just a mediocre film all-around. - 4.5 / 10

We watched this last week. I disliked the chase sequence at the start of the movie because a chase sequence started the previous movie. I also disliked how the bank stayed together, and all the streets were wide enough for the bank to drive down. The zombie sharks were dumb. And as I recall, Jack lost his compass to Commodore Beckett in the second film, though he did not give it away. That should have been enough to release Salazar. The return of the Black Pearl was cool though. And Kaya S is gorgeous. 

I feel like I've written this post already. 

MV5BNTc0MzRmMTgtMTk4OS00MzdkLWJjNWMtZWJm

Meet Brad Pitt. What an indulgent piece of shit. Obviously made to squeeze as much out of Pitt's then-fabled prettiness as possible, it's fucking three hours long for a wafer-thin story, in which death takes a holiday, naturally in expensive New York penthouses and falls in love with Claire Forlani while looking like a sedated puppy. It's all quite awful but with a wonderful Thomas Newman score. I soldiered on just for that.

No Mercy (1986)

i can't be objective about this film because i saw it in my childhood and love it since then.

It has some beautiful backgrounds to the story, the chemistry between Gere and Basinger is great and i also love the electronic score by Alan Silvestri, and hope it gets released officially some day.

i remember the first time i heard the theme in the opening titles, it sounded so familiar!

i watched it in a great HD digital transfer. Hope the bluray is not far behind.

The Witches.

I have watched this film only once before, when I was 9 years old during the third year of primary school, and because our TV guide didn't offer anything remotely interesting other than this (yet again), I decided to give it another go, purely for nostalgic purposes, and I was surprised to discover I actually remembered some bits and pieces of the dialogue, even though I couldn't speak English back then.

Why is it that everyone always needs to sound so awfully artificial in children's movies? Only Bruno's parents were convincing. And I also hate totally unnecessary lines, like Luke going 'I gotta get out of here.' Then go! The foreign accents were kind of annoying too and why, oh why, did the Grand High Witch have to have a German accent? The film had some pacing problems here and there as well.

I didn't remember anything about the score because back in those days, film scores completely passed me by. However problematic this film was, at least I'll have a new score to listen to now. Unsurprisingly, it's an orchestral adventure, like so many other scores written in the 90s. I especially liked the fact that lots of piccolos were used to underscore Luke's first moments as a mouse.

Close Encounters - Theatrical this time.

I may like this more than the Director's Cut. The family scenes help sell Roy sodding off into space like it's nothing, but they're pretty annoying, I like this sequencing better. The movie overall is really starting to grow on me.

13 hours ago, publicist said:

Meet Brad Pitt. What an indulgent piece of shit. Obviously made to squeeze as much out of Pitt's then-fabled prettiness as possible, it's fucking three hours long for a wafer-thin story, in which death takes a holiday, naturally in expensive New York penthouses and falls in love with Claire Forlani while looking like a sedated puppy. It's all quite awful but with a wonderful Thomas Newman score. I soldiered on just for that.

I don't agree at all. Brad Pitt is the only problem of the movie, because he does not really cope with the role. But this is no Brad Pitt promotion like Seven Years in Tibet.

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I don't agree at all. Brad Pitt is the only problem of the movie, because he does not really cope with the role. But this is no Brad Pitt promotion like Seven Years in Tibet.

It's flat-out awful. Comatose. I've never seen it before but what punishment this must have been in 1998 for those poor lads dragged by their girlfriends (the only possible revenge: Armageddon. Also 3 hours long and as sucky). 'Inspirational' movies with dim fortune cookie messages have always been in vogue but things like 'The Green Mile', another 3 hour whopper (man, what was it with these overlong 90's movies?), were at least bad in an entertaining way. 

Kong: Skull Island

The Silence of the Lambs

I've seen these before. I was just casually watching them on tele last night.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

Next stop: 'The Horse Whisperer' or 'The Notebook'

Seen 'em both. They're masterpieces. Can't go wrong with either.

12 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

I had to be removed from the theater when I saw that. It was scarier than everything.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

It was better than everything.

Same here, I was dead scared of the gas sounds you heard when the kids transformed into mice. Now I barely heard them.

On 24/02/2018 at 9:20 AM, publicist said:

Yes.

Claire Forlani looks nice in her sequined swimsuit.

The Allnighter , from 1987, starring Joan Cusack, Deedee Pfeiffer, and singer Susanna Hoffs.  (Directed by her mother Tamar Simon Hoffs).

One of the worst movies ever made.  Enough to make a film connoisseur suicidal.

No redeeming qualities, though Hoffs does have a certain screen presence that a competent director might have exploited.  Her delivery needs work, though.

The plot is non-existent, the screenplay horrific, the direction inept, the characters forgotten the moment they are off-screen, the acting laughable, the score terrible, and the editing a crime against humanity.

The whole travesty is up on YouTube.  I shall not stoop so low as to post the link.

Watch if you dare. 

Gorillas in the mist.

I liked the first half a lot, apart from the fact that Sigourney Weaver sounded bored yet again. She always speaks like she's just delivering all her lines to get that paycheck. That didn't make her interactions with the gorillas any less touching, though, and in the second half, her character became much more interesting and even fascinating and Weaver improved as well: as long as she can act and not just talk, everything is fine. The overall package was very good, but the film does have pacing problems, especially when it comes to Bob and Fossey's relationship.

This was my very first Maurice Jarre score. I'm not a fan of cheap electronic sounds, certainly not after having watched The Terminator only two days ago, but the score had its nice moments, when she had to let Pucker go, for example, and most particularly the final scene. Having said that, the end credits opened in a way too upbeat manner.

On 2/24/2018 at 8:53 PM, Philippe Roaché said:

It's a movie about a bunch of wealthy snobby white people, one of which speaks Jamaican.

Mesa Jar-Jar Binks. Mesa your humble servant!

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

I wasn't onboard with it at first but once the third act kicked in I really enjoyed it, even got a little misty eyed toward the end.

Dead Poets Society

Didn't like it.  It tries too hard to sell its generic message through melodramatic happenings and one-dimmensional villains. 

Argo

Different to what I expected! I didn't know about the Hollywood element that helped get the Americans out of Iran - more evidence that the Academy loves awarding movies about itself. In this case, Hollyweird gets to be all heroic and shit.