What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Miss Sloane

By the numbers political thriller, but I enjoyed its good cast and quick dialogue. Felt almost like a Sorkin script. I found it strangely relevant to the current political climate, despite being a year and a half old. But I guess gun reform and violence is always relevant in the land of the free.

The Giver

I knew it would be bad, but my love of the novel prompted me to finally watch this one. It was worse than I expected. Truly terrible film with horrible dialogue, acting, pacing, art direction, cinematography, etc. The only saving grace was a beautiful melody at the core of Beltrami’s score, though I’m unsure of its originality. Could be a traditional piece as it’s used as a diegetic piano piece in the film. 

12 Years a Slave

Steve McQueen is resurrected to direct this depressing flick about a bloke who's kidnapped to work as a slave in the old South. Seriously, Zimmer uses the BRAAAAHM for this? Pipe it down a bit!

Under The Skin.

Quite good. I never really like ambiguous and unclear stories, but regret that this one didn't last at least 30 minutes longer: the main character is so intrigueing, especially in the second half, that more screentime would only have made it more thrilling.

It's been a long time since I've heard such an original score. It won't make for nice listening, but creativity is so rare tin film music these days that I'm already on top of the world if a score isn't in D minor.

I have no idea whether the audio-described track is to blame for this, but the dialogue was really too soft and even unclear at times. I realise that the conversations are utterly unimportant in this film, but if you want to convey the message that they're irrelevant, just take them out, don't let them drown in the score and/or sound effects.

After a few Lewis Gilbert films, to a perennial favourite. The Bridge at Remagen

not the best war movie ever made it made me a fan of George Segal, has enough action and whatnot to keep things bubbling along and furthermore, one of my favourite Bernstein scores (the theme alone). Serves as a belated tribute viewing to the late Bradford Dillman. 

10 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

12 Years a Slave

Steve McQueen is resurrected to direct this depressing flick about a bloke who's kidnapped to work as a slave in the old South. Seriously, Zimmer uses the BRAAAAHM for this? Pipe it down a bit!

There’s maybe 20 minutes of score in that whole film and that’s all you can say about it?

Spotlight

Nice to see some recognition for my profession, but I had to groan a few times because this movie did it a bit too well. Most journalists I've known are a humourless and self-important lot and I've struggled to get along with them because of that. This movie reinforced my cynical view of them.

Patton (1970).

Well, surely an Oscar worthy performance by George C. Scott who holds the film on his shoulders, but i admit I was bored a bit.

Still, nice to know about this controversial historical figure.

10 Cloverfield Lane - tense, claustrophobic thriller that expands into sci-fi towards the end to tie it in with the first Cloverfield flick. Mary Elizabeth Winstead and John Goodman are both excellent, Goodman particularly so.     

58 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Okay, the bullying stuff was somewhat compelling, and the broken relationship with his junkie mother was sad, but it was so BORING!

That's all that modern cinema seems to be: MCU/DCU/SJW/Disney crud, or snowflake, emo, "look at me, I'm so hard done by po' boy/po' girl" insulting "gritty, urban drama". Fuck it, I've seen more drama in a fucking British Rail cheese sarnie.

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

Where does The Phantom Thread fit that? 

Snowflake.

You've ruined my day by eating your breakfast so loud it's like you've ridden a horse across the room.

Oh, the tea is going away but the interruption is staying right here with poor motherless me!

Haven't seen it. I dunno ... Ever since The Master, PTA has gone a little crazy in the head. It happens sometimes to directors.

I still haven't seen The Master or Inherent Vice.  I kind of want to believe he just stopped making films after There Will Be Blood...

Because every film he made up to and including that one is great and the ones he made after don't look as good and I fear I'll be disappointed by?

I like Hard EightBoogie NightsMagnolia and Punch Drunk Love in increasing order. On average, The Master, Inherent Vice and Phantom Thread are even better. I might struggle to choose between Punch Drunk Love and Inherent Vice but, apart from that, I'd take any of the later ones over any of the earlier.

56 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Shit, wish me luck on The English Patient up next.

i love the film.

I hope you like it too.

By the way, i want to buy the bluray and I "can't" because I don't like the cover! :P

33170_large.jpg

17 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I like Hard EightBoogie NightsMagnolia and Punch Drunk Love in increasing order. On average, The Master, Inherent Vice and Phantom Thread are even better. I might struggle to choose between Punch Drunk Love and Inherent Vice but, apart from that, I'd take any of the later ones over any of the earlier.

Lucas, Coppola, Lumet, Spielberg, Scott, Allen, PTA, Cimino, The Coens, ... The early ones are always the best for any director. After a while the well runs dry. Everybody knows that!

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Lucas, Coppola, Lumet, Spielberg, Scott, Allen, PTA, The Coens, ... The early ones are always the best for any director. After a while the well runs dry. Everybody knows that!

I don't think it's that, but that their late films are following the era which is producing bad films anyway..:P

I mean, would you think that the late films of older film directors are bad too?

Yes, it's a law that you can sadly always rely on. There are always 1 or 2 exceptions, of course. Kubrick is one of those exceptions. 

17 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Lucas, Coppola, Lumet, Spielberg, Scott, Allen, PTA, Cimino, The Coens, ... The early ones are always the best for any director. After a while the well runs dry. Everybody knows that!

The Master is a great film, one I've really come to admire over the years. Phantom Thread is quite good too, though of a different breed. I'm still not sure what to make of Inherent Vice, though I never really revisited it after the first time.

28 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

The early ones are always the best for any director.

Usually.

Lucas

Probably. (I've only seen one of his non-early films.)

Coppola...Spielberg, Scott

Agreed.

The Coens

Even though I think their very best work is from the 90s, the Coens have maintained a reasonably consistent standard overall (except possibly for a dodgy patch early in the 2000s - I don't think I ever saw the films between The Man Who Wasn't There and No Country for Old Men).

Lumet... Allen

Dog Day AfternoonNetwork and The Verdict were all made when Lumet was in his 50s and with dozens of earlier films under his belt! The same can be said of Woody Allen and, for instance, Hannah and Her Sisters and Crimes and Misdemeanors.

PTA

No.