What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

11 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Galaxy Quest

Odd that I'd never seen this before, but better late than never!

In my case, I wish it was never!

Valerian and The City of a Thousand Planets - Enjoyed this a lot more then I expected to. It's really creative, and I like the worlds it builds, and there are even some legit funny moments, plus Desplat score is great, and works wonders in the film. Unfortunately the leads chemistry is not particularly good, and it takes the film down a notch or two for me. DeHaan in particular was quite poor, while Delevingne was alright, but still a bit stiff, though I suppose it could be worse. Not bad, but then again I tend to enjoy sci-fi fantasy adventure box office bombs, usually anyway. 6.5 / 10

I liked it a lot too!  I have the same complaint though; The leads . Specifically that they had no chemistry together, and DeHaan was just kind of bad overall.  He was playing the character the opposite of the way he was written, I dunno why Besson didn't have him change his performance!  Delivigne was fine, I thought

Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World

Didn’t expect much from this, but was pleasantly surprised at its execution. Keira Knightley is pretty good in this, as is the rest of the cast. Dark in tone yet still humorous. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I liked it a lot too!  I have the same complaint though; The leads . Specifically that they had no chemistry together, and DeHaan was just kind of bad overall.  He was playing the character the opposite of the way he was written, I dunno why Besson didn't have him change his performance!  Delivigne was fine, I thought

DeHaan is miscast in a lot of the roles I've seen him in. He doesn't work as well as a "heroic lead". He should stick to more supporting roles / smaller films. 

He was fine in that Spider-man film.  I don't think I've seen him in anything else.

He really lacks charisma, though, and the way Valerian is written, he's like the most charismatic guy in the universe.  Really odd casting.

I get the feeling that DeHaan was the best actor that Besson could get for the film, or something. I've liked him in a few films, but most of the time I get the feeling that he's out of his element in these kind of "big budgeted films". A Cure For Wellness was another film where I thought his casting worked against that film. 

The Sting

They could have called this film Twisties and it would have been just as appropriate. Seriously, this movie is so tricky, it even cons the audience with misleads and slight of hand, it's great! A very fun, exciting and entertaining film, even when it slows down, because it never lets up the suspense. You're always guessing what's going to happen next. Ocean's Eleven, you had nothing on this lot.

Great film!  I just saw it for the first time ever a couple years back, and I couldn't believe I had never seen it before.  I loved it and wanted to watch it again not long after it was over

I think its the only other film I've seen with Quint in it too!

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Pretty amazing that it's fifty this year. Most of it holds up extremely well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-Kubrick-Visionary-Filmmaker-Collection/dp/B004MW57KA/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1524769280&sr=1-1&keywords=stanley+kubrick+blu-ray

I just ordered that today. I've seen bits and pieces of 2001 but for the most part the whole boxset is going to be new to me. I'm very excited to watch them all.

It has a lot going for it, it's just...there's always something about watching Tom Cruise in anything that leaves me feeling uncomfortable. The man scares me for some reason. I wouldn't be able to place why. 

Of the three mains, Dakota Fanning was the best actor, but all she gets to do is scream. 

I recall the UFO's first appearance and attack being quite a grand, sublime moment. 

The best stuff in that movie is pretty much limited to the first hour. There are a few great setpieces and then Ray makes his Sophie's Choice which is a good scene but then it just kinda unravels from there.

Thor: Ragnarok. This is much more like it. Great set design and colourful, imaginative effects. Fun characters (The Thor/Hulk bromance) and switches between irreverent humour and seriousness with flawless precision,.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Thor: Ragnarok. This is much more like it. Great set design and colourful, imaginative effects. Fun characters (The Thor/Hulk bromance) and switches between irreverent humour and seriousness with flawless precision,.

I liked Cate Blanchett's back story and her whole look/vibe, but she didn't really go anywhere interesting as a villain.  She just strutted around taunting people...until she didn't anymore.  The end.

But yeah, it's a super entertaining movie.

3 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

I didn't mind it. I was disappointed in GotG2, all jokes, took forever for the actual story to emerge. Real hip and trendy movie.

At least I remember the villain, which is something I can't say about Doctor Strange. I need to connect with the characters. This was an CGI show.

But yeah, GOTG Vol.2 was a disappointment too.

Apparently Thanos is the best character in Infinity War so maybe it's better than Dr. Strange and Vol.2.

On 26/04/2018 at 9:21 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

War of the Worlds

John Williams comes through here, but I don't care for the film. Meh.

The BBC are doing the first-ever WOTW adaptation set in the novel's original time period/location this year. Looking forward to it.    

The Blues Brothers - seeing as I was at a tribute show on Fri night, I stuck the DVD in the player on Thurs night. At 2hrs 20, this isn't short (especially for a comedy) and it isn't the 'tightest' of movies ... but somehow it just breezes by. Bucketloads of charm, chuckles, quality guest appearances/cameos, still-impressive vehicular mayhem and a stack of fabulous tunes all help I guess :) .

Avengers : Age Of Ultron - there was something a little 'off' about this one, it's not as enjoyable as Assemble or Infinity War. I had completely forgotten that it introduces both Wakanda and Andy Serkis' character from Black Panther.      

The Book Thief.

Hmm... Well, it took me 44 minutes to warm up to Liesel. The relationship between her and Rosa isn't really persuasive, though, and she's way too 'grown-up' for her age. And my goodness, what is up with these German accents? Let them speak German or English, but not English with thick, stupid accents and a few German words like 'und, Saumensch, Saukerl, ja' and 'nein'. I think I just wrote down all the German words they used in this movie. This strange speech pattern really put me off because it renders conversations so artificial. I had also expected the ending to be much, much more light-hearted.

And I just got to know a side of John Williams that I had never heard before. It's amazing how he can make mediocre movies better. His score was actually the reason I didn't turn it off. I won't be humming any themes tomorrow, but loved all the piano material.

War for the Planet of the Apes

Poor Caesar, this is a dark, cruel and mean-spirited movie, but it keeps you hooked with a good story, complex character motivations and teases you with a sense of hope. Every so often, 20th Century Fox releases a magnificent movie these days among all the crap it seems to churn out.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2.  What isn't much of a plot is dragged down by endless "bits" which makes this film feel like a 200+ million improv session. It loses its momentum very early and never regains it. Often funny, sometimes preachy, and far far too long.