What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

14 hours ago, Jay said:

It's the best MCU film. 

It is until we get a big generic CGI battle in the sky at the end. 

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

It is until we get a big generic CGI battle in the sky at the end. 

Karol

Don’t they all have that though?

Just now, Bilbo said:

Don’t they all have that though?

Not Civil War or Ant-Man. Or Iron Man. Or Thor.

Karol

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Not Civil War or Ant-Man. Or Iron Man. Or Thor.

Karol

Iron Man and Thor. Fair enough. 

Ant-Man never seen. 

Civil War I struggle to remember much of that I’m afraid!

still though, large amount of generic cgi sky battles! 

10 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

I guess it felt more like a really well made action movie than a superhero flick.

Definitely!

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

They are all action movies.

There are all sorts of action films.

They exist on a sliding scale between action-drama and action-comedy, with Marvel tilting very, very heavily towards the latter.

In response to Stefan.

GoG vol 2

I nearly walked out. Absolutely hated it.

Geez. From what I'm reading, I'm glad that I haven't been won over, by the MCU.

9 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

Last movies I’ve watched:

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Star Wars (1977) [Team Negative 1]

Sleeping Beauty (1959)

Cannibal: The Musical (1993)

Fuck's sake! :o

The last time you watched SLEEPING BEAUTY was in 1959???!!!

Romancing the Stone

Seen it once as a kid but didn't remember much of it. It was alright. I wasn't bored or anything but it's nothing great either. There's some great lines as well as horrifically bad ones, at times it could be laugh-out loud funny, but sometimes also disturbing, some of Michael Douglas' deliveries really rubbed me the creepy and predatory way.

Overall, the mood, story/setup, the villains and the main duo dynamic (aside from the boy-girl and romantic aspects) weirdly reminded me of some Bud Spencer-Terrence Hill movies.

Ok...she's not all wrong. ROMANCING THE STONE is easily better than KOTCS.

13 minutes ago, Holko said:

Romancing the Stone...weirdly reminded me of some Bud Spencer-Terrence Hill movies.

THEY CALL ME TRINITY is good 

I didn't remember the ending so I thought it could go two ways: Jack gives up the emerald because he realises love is the real treasure (cliche, I know), or he goes after it and Joan never sees him again, but realises she doesn't need him - she became a better, more confident woman and can come over the endless longing for that hero character she wrote all those books about.

But of course it's the '80s and materialism has to win, even though I think either of the two endings I thought up while watching would work better.

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

THEY CALL ME TRINITY is good 

That's only Terrence Hill. I thought more along the lines of Who Finds a Friend Finds a Treasure.

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

That's only Terrence Hill. I thought more along the lines of Who Finds a Friend Finds a Treasure.

Are you sure? The poster states both names.

6 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

She became a hopeful... hopeful romantic.

She goes her way, he goes his, and De Vito goes his, they never see each other again, and we are spared JEWEL OF THE NILE ;)

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Are you sure? The poster states both names.

Massive facepalm. I confused it with My Name is Nobody. In my defense, the Hungarian titles are much more different.

Except for the song and the setting the clock back so the tavern can stay open scene, I think I prefer the second one in almost every way.

The Adjustment Bureau

What an imaginative premise spoiled by such a mediocre movie. Matt Damon's okay but Emily Blunt really steals it. But it's such a drab experience, and the ending is a bit of a copout. I recall this being a hit when it came out, why I dunno.

Blue Jasmine

A pattern I see in Woody's movies is his exploration of the superiority complex and how it fails a person when they fall under stress of any kind. Cate chews up this movie. Also the first Woody film I've seen shot in Super 35.

14 minutes ago, Richard said:

I've not yet seen BLUE JASMINE. Why do you both think that he shot it in Super 35? What was he trying to say by shooting it, in that format?

No idea, he probably just wanted to try it out. Most of his other films are in 1.85:1 spherical. I've seen two in anamorphic 2.35:1 and those were Manhattan and Irrational Man.

On 5/2/2018 at 10:48 AM, Margo Channing said:

The Adjustment Bureau

What an imaginative premise spoiled by such a mediocre movie. Matt Damon's okay but Emily Blunt really steals it. But it's such a drab experience, and the ending is a bit of a copout. I recall this being a hit when it came out, why I dunno.

There's two categories for Philip K Dick adaptations: ones that do the original concept justice, and those that throw the idea into a lawnmower and paste the shreds with lame-ass studio movies.

I consider the successful ones to be Total Recall, Minority Report, A Scanner Darkly, and Blade Runner.

Going through my UHD films. Tonight it's Inception. I haven't seen that in many years, don't think I've ever watched the old Blu-ray. I both like this film and dislike it. What it does, it does well. But it's also true it's almost all exposition and characters explaining what's happening at any given moment. On the other hand, this is a bit of a heist film trope so it depends on how you look at it. It's a fun preposterous blockbuster overall and probably a best example of Nolan's obsession with structure. It's both the greatest highlight of this film as well as its greatest flaw, depending on the viewer.

Karol

I rewatched Dunkirk. The father hadn’t seen it before. I really enjoyed it and so did he. I think Zimmer’s score works perfectly within the film. It marries the music and sound design and adds to the tension you’re supposed to be feeling. 

Nolan films usually don’t have great dialogue anyway (see Kroc’s comment above) so the minimal amount here was fine.

I really buy Tom Hardy as a WW2 fighter pilot too. Would like to see him play something similar in a Battle of Britain style film.

also, Spitfires. 

I guess what it comes down to i that after all those 60's war movies we just don't need a straight cinematic narrative of these events anymore, so Nolan's approach was sound (enough). The catch is, though, that after 'Dunkirk' i also believe we do not need more movies like 'Dunkirk', either.

But I would like it if Nolan continues to 'experiment'. It's like both he and Zimmer are tired of the same old, same old and are keen to broaden their horizons. 

12 hours ago, Richard said:

I've not yet seen BLUE JASMINE. Why do you both think that he shot it in Super 35? What was he trying to say by shooting it, in that format?

Holy! Maybe that's why I think Blue Jasmine is Woody Allen's best movie in years! Black bars!

22 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Holy! Maybe that's why I think Blue Jasmine is Woody Allen's best movie in years! Black bars!

You might want to see Irrational Man and Magic in the Moonlight. Those are in actual anamorphic, so none of that fake black bar crap.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

I guess what it comes down to i that after all those 60's war movies we just don't need a straight cinematic narrative of these events anymore, so Nolan's approach was sound (enough). The catch is, though, that after 'Dunkirk' i also believe we do not need more movies like 'Dunkirk', either.

I’m not sure I need to see another film like Dunkirk again, no. 

1 hour ago, Margo Channing said:

You might want to see Irrational Man and Magic in the Moonlight. 

I will! Black bars are black bars!

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I will! Black bars are black bars!

What do you think of the new practice of shooting TV shows in anamorphic but cropping it to fit a 16:9 frame? I noticed Krypton does this.

I read an article about a show doing this that wasn't Krypton. I just can't remember the name of it. The makers just want the cylindrical characteristics of anamorphic like oval bokeh, lens flares and distorted heads, but without the full 2.35:1 frame.

1 hour ago, Margo Channing said:

Especially if they have plasmas or OLEDs because excessive viewing of letterbox films can burn it in.

Nah ...

2 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Especially if they have plasmas or OLEDs because excessive viewing of letterbox films can burn it in.

Thats not how OLED works. 

When you see black on an OLED screen that means the OLED is turned off. I don’t know how letterboxing is going to burn in if the OLEDs are switched off in that area. 

If thats the case your TV will burn in when it’s switched off. 

I thought burn ins was a plasma thing. I’ve never seen it happen on any screen I’ve used.

3 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

When you see black on an OLED screen that means the OLED is turned off. I don’t know how letterboxing is going to burn in if the OLEDs are switched off in that area. 

If thats the case your TV will burn in when it’s switched off. 

I thought burn ins was a plasma thing. I’ve never seen it happen on any screen I’ve used.

I have seen image retention on OLED screens in shops where it's obvious a static image has left an impression.

Although the tech behind the panel is different, the principle is still the same. Pixels that are left on or burning brighter will age faster than those turned off or burning lower, hence retention or burn-in is inevitable.

16 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

I have seen image retention on OLED screens in shops where it's obvious a static image has left an impression.

Although the tech behind the panel is different, the principle is still the same. Pixels that are left on or burning brighter will age faster than those turned off or burning lower, hence retention or burn-in is inevitable.

But you were talking about letterboxing. Letterboxing can’t burn in on OLED is all I said. 

But I have never had burn issues on any screen of any type I’ve had.

7 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

But you were talking about letterboxing. Letterboxing can’t burn in on OLED is all I said. 

But I have never had burn issues on any screen of any type I’ve had.

Lucky you, but many others have.

Regarding letterboxing, think about it - if the pixels displaying the letterbox portion are off, and the pixels emitting light within the image are on, then the on ones are aging faster than the off ones, therefore they will dim quicker and eventually leave a visible impression.

The trick is to change content. Even though I have a 'mattes' fetish, I never had burn in issues on my Plasma screens.

Harry Potter 3. I just realised... How did Sirius pay for that Firebolt? I mean, the novel says Crookshanks took an order that Harry's name and Sirius' bank account on it. Shouldn't someone somewhere be alarmed and alert the authorities when an escaped convict starts spending money?