What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Re-watched Alien last night. This movie really has that science-fictiony-20th-Century-Fox feel to it... you guys probably have no idea what I'm talking about. It's okay, you had to be watching movies on VHS in the early 90s to understand. Even the Howard Hanson music at the end still reminds me of the old MasterCard ad that followed and the episode of Meet the Press that was on afterward with that cheesy bygone early 90s video aesthetic. Yeah that's friggin Alien to me.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Harry Potter 3. I just realised... How did Sirius pay for that Firebolt? I mean, the novel says Crookshanks took an order that Harry's name and Sirius' bank account on it. Shouldn't someone somewhere be alarmed and alert the authorities when an escaped convict starts spending money?

It’s a children’s fantasy story...

Manhunt

Brand spankin’ new John Woo movie on Netflix.  It’s completely fuckin’ nuts!  Bizarre, funny, completely ridiculous and... just bizarre.  Like Hot Fuzz played with a straight face or something.  Acting is completely over the top as you’d expect.  Has a lot of fun trotting out every action thriller cliche it can think of.  Recommended!

On 04/05/2018 at 4:47 PM, bollemanneke said:

Harry Potter 3. I just realised... How did Sirius pay for that Firebolt? I mean, the novel says Crookshanks took an order that Harry's name and Sirius' bank account on it. Shouldn't someone somewhere be alarmed and alert the authorities when an escaped convict starts spending money?

I would say the workaround answer for that would be that she characterized the Gringotts goblins as sort of amoral so I don't think they gave a shit lol. I think there was a lot of "don't ask, don't tell" type stuff going on with how they ran that bank. Dumbledore and Bellatrix both had high security vaults for example. One good, one evil. 

36 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Manhunt

Brand spankin’ new John Woo movie on Netflix.  It’s completely fuckin’ nuts!  Bizarre, funny, completely ridiculous and... just bizarre.  Like Hot Fuzz played with a straight face or something.  Acting is completely over the top as you’d expect.  Has a lot of fun trotting out every action thriller cliche it can think of.  Recommended!

Does it hold up to Woo in his prime? I watched the trailer and it looked like a student film trying to copy John Woo, which was a shame.

4 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Does it hold up to Woo in his prime? I watched the trailer and it looked like a student film trying to copy John Woo, which was a shame.

I’d say no.  Definitely a “so bad it’s fun” situation.  Hard to tell how much is intentional  self-parody though.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself either way.  Definitely not boring.

I'd say all his films are "so bad it's fun," but the production values, particularly the color grading and cinematography, just didn't look up to snuff compared to his popular 90s days. But it makes sense, he just doesn't draw a bigger budget anymore. It did make me smile to see jet skis and doves, though.

Just now, Koray Savas said:

I'd say all his films are "so bad it's fun," but the production values, particularly the color grading and cinematography, just didn't look up to snuff compared to his popular 90s days. But it makes sense, he just doesn't draw a bigger budget anymore. It did make me smile to see jet skis and doves, though.

Oh boy, that dove scene in this one made me laugh it loud.  It was so stupid.

Casablanca

Well, what more can I say. a CLASSIC with all the meaning of the word.

It was the 2nd time I watched this.

The first was 22-23 years ago and i remember thinking, this is what all the fuss is about?

But I didn't think this anymore.

"play it again Sam"

Yeah I don't mind that one. It has that old Warner Bros feel to it where you just watched on TCM on a dull Saturday afternoon and you see a line-up of yet more Jack Warner pictures in the TV guide, which never seems to end. They pumped them put like breakfast cereal.

6 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Re-watched Alien last night. This movie really has that science-fictiony-20th-Century-Fox feel to it... you guys probably have no idea what I'm talking about. It's okay, you had to be watching movies on VHS in the early 90s to understand. Even the Howard Hanson music at the end still reminds me of the old MasterCard ad that followed and the episode of Meet the Press that was on afterward with that cheesy bygone early 90s video aesthetic.

Yeah it's a very dated movie.

Not sure I have a view on how I nostalgically view Aliens. I know I saw it before Alien and had no idea it was a "Part 2". I wondered who this tall short tempered lady with the curly dark hair was. I didn't recognise her from Ghostbusters because her hair was different.

18 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

I know I saw it before Alien and had no idea it was a "Part 2". I wondered who this tall short tempered lady with the curly dark hair was. I didn't recognise her from Ghostbusters because her hair was different.

Me too!!

29 minutes ago, crocodile said:

More dated though.

Karol

you mean the effects?

I don't find them dated at all.

These look more realistic to me than the latest CGI!

3 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Me too!!

you mean the effects?

I don't find them dated at all.

These look more realistic to me than the latest CGI!

No not effects... writing and performances have a very distinct 1980's macho vibe. Feels a bit hilarious in modern days.

Karol

Not the effects, but the way the film looks, the lighting, the whole appearance ... Despite Alien being 8 years older, it looks more timeless. Scott had a very good photographic eye ... very artistically sound.

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

Not the effects, but the way the film looks, the lighting, the whole appearance ... 

well, it is tealed to the bone in the bluray so it should look like current movies! :P

Aliens or Alien?

Alien has indeed been newly color graded but it looks amazing. Color grading has an effect on color but not on composition, the way a scene is lit or the mise-en-scène in general.

18 minutes ago, crocodile said:

No not effects... writing and performances have a very distinct 1980's macho vibe. Feels a bit hilarious in modern days.

Karol

Why? It's not like the Marvel films are any less macho.

4 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Why? It's not like the Marvel films are any less macho.

I can see what you're getting at and I'm sure they will also age. But there is a very distinct 1980's vibe to Aliens that really puts in firmly in that period, especially when you compare it to Alien. That is probably because the first film features a bored workmen rather than hyper-masculine marines. It's not really a criticism as much as an observation.

Karol

Why do you think films that exhibit this type of masculine behavior would age so much?

We men aren't planning on going anywhere, as far as I know...

2 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

To be honest, in this case I find the comparison a bit unfair, since Aliens was in a really terrible state before restoration. 

14 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Why do you think films that exhibit this type of masculine behavior would age so much?

We men aren't planning on going anywhere, as far as I know...

1980's had a certain disdain for weakness. You're not a man in the 1980's unless you look like this:

commando-slide.jpg

c7e0e3b6df4dafdfd4061fe0c4b0e733.jpg?ito

Karol

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I’d say no.  Definitely a “so bad it’s fun” situation.  Hard to tell how much is intentional  self-parody though.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself either way.  Definitely not boring.

Ooft, the Travolta/Cage stunt 'doubles' in Face/Off ... I thought I would never see the lead(s) being more noticeably doubled than in a late-period Roger Moore Bond flick, but I was wrong.        

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

1980's had a certain disdain for weakness. You're not a man in the 1980's unless you look like this:

commando-slide.jpg

c7e0e3b6df4dafdfd4061fe0c4b0e733.jpg?ito

Karol

Today every actor looks like this but it was still a rare thing in them '80s.

5 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Casablanca

Well, what more can I say. a CLASSIC with all the meaning of the word.

It was the 2nd time I watched this.

The first was 22-23 years ago and i remember thinking, this is what all the fuss is about?

But I didn't think this anymore.

"play it again Sam"

You only just watched it and you're already mis-quoting it?

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

You only just watched it and you're already mis-quoting it?

ha,,, i should have seen it many times to quote it correctly!

44 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Yeah, every Hollywood male Star is expected to look like this. Most men I know are going to gyms too to build muscle. This isn’t an 80s only thing. 

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

This is true. Male actors are ridiculously ripped these days. Often to the point of distraction for roles that don't really require is. Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese in Terminator Genesys for instance

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Muscles are not the point Alex. It's the exaggeration of certain traits.

Karol

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Which are?

Aggressiveness, certain gun fetish, not much nuance of any kind.

Karol

33 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's true leading men were more manly in the old days. Even leading ladies!

Bette would make short work of Chris Hemsworth!

As that evil boss lady in Thor 3, I'm sure of it!

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Muscles are not the point Alex.

Karol

Your pictures are telling me they are (two muscular barechested half naked men)

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

This is true. Male actors are ridiculously ripped these days. Often to the point of distraction for roles that don't really require is. Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese in Terminator Genesys for instance

Indeed. Even a computer nerd or an office clerk looks like he can outmuscle Schwarzenegger in his heyday. It's male sexual objectification!

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

Ripley in Aliens is essentially Margaret Thatcher with a pulse rifle. A sexless, maternal schoolmarm with a perm. Cameron only appreciates strong women if they're robbed of their sexuality.