What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Coincidentally i just saw Tarantula again, and given its age - and that Universal was a cheapie studio to begin with - the effects are not too shabby and the movie one of the best paranoid bad science movies of the 50's (the similar Them! was good but sagged in the middle). Together with Creature of the Black Lagoon that makes two great creature movies i could rewatch at least once a year.

ccjSeVoh3ZPXoiFSkFmZZM1HmsC.jpg

Terminator 2.

I had misgivings about this sequel before watching it because I found the first story enough. It was good, but the ending ruined it. Unsurprisingly, I didn't enjoy this one as much as I liked part one, though the fact that Schwarzenegger was now the good guy was a really nice and clever twist. Sarah annoyed me throughout the whole thing. I know you're angry and desperate, stop yelling already. Speaking of which, if I hear one kid shout 'Come on!' or 'I got you!' tomorrow, I might throw things at them and I found John 'teaching' the Terminator how to be more human rather idiotic too. This movie did have a much better finale than the first one, though it was rather unfortunate that the ice-cream cart stopped right outside my window during the moment Schwarzenegger was sacrificing himself.

The score was even less interesting than the first one. Great opening and finale, but other than that, nothing remotely engaging.

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

This movie did have a much better finale than the first one, though it was rather unfortunate that the ice-cream cart stopped right outside my window during the moment Schwarzenegger was sacrificing himself.

:lol:

43 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

...it was rather unfortunate that the ice-cream cart stopped right outside my window during the moment Schwarzenegger was sacrificing himself.

So, what did you get? Choc-ice? 99? FAB? Cornetto? What?

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Terminator 2 > The Terminator just as Aliens > Alien 

Terminator 2 might be the best sequel ever made, in terms of just how much it improved on the original.

With Aliens, I dunno.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

The Rocketeer

Holds up.  Still Johnston's best movie.

I hope his Narnia film is good. (and that it gets a good score)

7 hours ago, publicist said:

Coincidentally i just saw Tarantula again, and given its age - and that Universal was a cheapie studio to begin with - the effects are not too shabby and the movie one of the best paranoid bad science movies of the 50's (the similar Them! was good but sagged in the middle). Together with Creature of the Black Lagoon that makes two great creature movies i could rewatch at least once a year.

ccjSeVoh3ZPXoiFSkFmZZM1HmsC.jpg

This is one of the earliest movies I remember watching on tape as an infant. I'd love to revisit it now.

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Terminator 2 > Aliens

True. Then again:

T2 > every other Cameron film

14 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Titanic > everything.

Didn't you say Star Trek is better than everything? 

Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock (35mm film print).

hmm..well.. same sentiments as I had with the previous films.

These are like long TV episodes with somewhat better effects.

2 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Titanic > everything.

Nah, you’re confusing that with another quasi-historical film that came out two years prior...

19 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Terminator 2 might be the best sequel ever made, in terms of just how much it improved on the original.

With Aliens, I dunno.

Now that's an interesting question...what's the best sequel in terms of how much it improved on the original.

T2 is in fact a good choice...though not Aliens. Aliens is an extraordinary sequel, and though I'd disagree, I wouldn't argue with people who think it's superior to the original.  But even allowing that, I don't think the improvement is nearly what it is between T1 & T2 (and T1 is still a good movie).

I'd actually say Wrath of Khan is a really good choice for most improved sequel, except that I'm one of the few people who really likes ST: TMP.

12 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Now that's an interesting question...what's the best sequel in terms of how much it improved on the original.

Although most sequels seem to smack of "let's make more money by remaking the same shit!", some sequels transcend what's gone before in in such a way that they are, eventually, considered superior to the original, in almost every way.

Three examples that come to mind, are:

THE GODFATHER PART II, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and TOY STORY 2.

Whether T2, and ALIENS are "better" films than the originals (whatever the heck, that means) I leave to far more enthusiastic posters.

18 minutes ago, Richard said:

Yeah, but those were sequels to very good films. The original Terminator? Not so much. So, in that sense, Terminator 2 might be an even better example of a sequel because it was such a leap from the original.

25 minutes ago, Richard said:

Although most sequels seem to smack of "let's make more money by remaking the same shit!", some sequels transcend what's gone before in in such a way that they are, eventually, considered superior to the original, in almost every way.

Three examples that come to mind, are:

Whether T2, and ALIENS are "better" films than the originals (whatever the heck, that means) I leave to far more enthusiastic posters.

Yes, but as @Chen G.. said, the originals were already very good films. I also think the original Terminator is a good film, but T2 is a huge leap forward in quality. Whereas TESB, for example, is also a better film than the fist (IMO), but the jump in quality is not nearly what it is for T2.

Hmmmm.  The Road Warrior might be a good candidate for most improved sequel as well. Or even Fury Road for that matter (though the latter's probably more of a soft reboot).

in light of recent news returned to Blue Thunder. Fun movie -I first saw this when I was seven or eight and looking at it have to thank Dad for that but liked it all that time. From that time a fan of Roy Scheider (I read someplace he did this film in order to be unavailable for Jaws 3) and even now, the loss of Daniel Stern's Lymangood ("JAFO") has some impact. The music and him getting ran down. Indeed, I'd say the music makes the film -settles it firmly in the eighties on one hand but just adds to it immensely. 

thunder.jpg

On 5/8/2018 at 1:33 PM, JoeinAR said:

What an irrelevant review of a classic 50's horror.

Help him. Help heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeem. 

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Terminator 2 might be an even better example of a sequel because it was such a leap from the original.

T2 is only a notch up in terms of special effects. Otherwise it's the same story as the original, which I steadfastly prefer. 

5 hours ago, Woj said:

T2 is only a notch up in terms of special effects. 

Eh, the reason why I prefer T2 is because it's many notches up in terms of cinematic language. Yes, it's more or less the same story, but the way it's told make all the difference to me.

Magic Mike - Liked this a lot more on rewatch then I expected to. Still need to see the sequel, which I've heard good things about, but haven't seen - 7 / 10

10 hours ago, Woj said:

T2 is only a notch up in terms of special effects. Otherwise it's the same story as the original, which I steadfastly prefer. 

I've never liked T2, but I do like T1.

I enjoy movies 1-6 on both your lists.  Never seen Piranha 2, and Avatar is completely forgettable.  I've seen it twice and there is nothing that sticks out in my mind as being special (well, Horner's score of course, but I don't need to watch the film to enjoy that)

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

Also @Jay...naked scuba-diving women don't stick out in your mind?!

I think you read my post too quickly.  I said I've never seen Piranha II.