What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The performances were quality, but I found the score overly intrusive and overbearing. Suspenseful scenes that would have been more effective to me if the music knew when to back off. Bear's effort was decidely beginner's fare. The cue at the very start of the movie was rather nice though. 

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I love 10 Cloverfield Lane.  Every aspect is excellent.  The performances, the score, the set design.  Goodman deserved awards.

Goodman is fucking frightening sometimes.

Spoiler

I liked it overall, but while I liked the very last character beat, I didn't really respond to any of the outside world/monster stuff towards the end.

I love how Quint was nice enough to discuss his thoughts without spoiling anything, then troxy and pub just go full-on spoiler mode.  Nice job guys.

Spoiler

I liked the idea of it - we are kind of led to believe that Goodman was gaslighting the hostages, and that there's nothing going outside.  Having it turn out to be what it was worked well for me.  As far as monster movie stuff though, I thought the material ended up being a bit soft.

Just now, Jay said:

I love how Quint was nice enough to discuss his thoughts without spoiling anything, then troxy and pub just go full-on spoiler mode.  Nice job guys.

Edited.  I didn't realize we'd spoiler-block stuff from a three year old movie.

How old a movie is has literally nothing to do with whether or not someone deserves to be spoiled about what happens at the end of it against their will.

This is a funny criticism coming from pub, who once aggressively yelled at me about spoilers here:

On 11/27/2016 at 5:12 PM, publicist said:

Because it's full of fucking spoilers.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

How old a movie is has literally nothing to do with whether or not someone deserves to be spoiled about what happens at the end of it against their will.

This is a funny criticism coming from pub, who once aggressively yelled at me about spoilers here:

Whoa, did you search for that, or do you have these things on file? (re: pub quote)

I was happily spurred on throughout the movie by the Cloverfield tag in the title, it was a bit of hint as to what to expect before the end, after all. So it seems odd to me that pub and trox were put out by what happened. 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Of course you know the old saying: 'Who cares about the balderdash I spouted yesterday?'

Waterworld

Fun enough for what it is: Mad Max on water. I don't think I'll ever get the appeal of Costner, he has the personality and acting ability of a toilet paper roll. Dennis Hopper hams it up enough to carry it along with the immensely entertaining excess in design and action, showing off the ludicrous budget.

I did very much like the score, it's right up my alley: a mix of over-the top action with a hummable melody, and ethnic percussion-y stuff. Sad to see it sold out already - guess I'll settle for other means.

18 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Whoa, did you search for that, or do you have these things on file? (re: pub quote)

I remember everything!

12 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I was happily spurred on throughout the movie by the Cloverfield tag in the title, it was a bit of hint as to what to expect before the end, after all. So it seems odd to me that pub and trox were put out by what happened. 

True story: It was written as a completely independent script called "The Cellar", and only changed to being  Cloverfield movie during production when someone got the bright idea it'd make more money that way.  It originally had a completely different ending.

Yeah I read that last night after the movie. I heard the third movie was a hodgepodge because of it too. I think I'll skip it. 

With that said, I wouldn't have bothered to watch this movie if I'd just thought it had a chance of being another standard captivity story. 

The third Cloverfield movie is one of the worst films I've sat through this decade

They have a 4th one coming out later this year, set during WW2

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, turns out it's not a Cloverfield film after all (or so they say)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlord_(2018_film)

15 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Except for that friggin Scarface. I couldn't stand that.

It's nice enough, but I never understood why it's such a big deal. Carlito's Way is one of my De Palma favourites, but I don't care much for Scarface.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Was it that cellar movie where ...

I understand the ending was very divisive. I liked the film for setting a ridiculous sounding premise and the characters treating it as such, but the story sticking to it. Overall really well made. Not as outstanding as the original Cloverfield (however loose the relation), but it doesn't have to be.

15 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The first MI is good but 4K good? To want all MI films in 4K is something I simply do not understand. 

I can't even play 4K. But every review I read about the original Blu-ray release describes it as very sub-par, even when the format was still new, so I never picked it up. The new release includes a Blu-ray version of the new transfer, so I definitely want that.

Though in general, I believe that every film worth seeing deserves to be seen in the best possible quality. By that logic, every film that deserves a release deserves a 4K release.

What I really wish for is for some of the classics that never got a HD/BD transfer to finally get their due on 4K. Like the Errol Flynn swashbucklers, and Arsenic and Old Lace, and Scaramouche.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

That is a bummer that the PS4 forces 60hz from Netflix output creating 3:2 pulldown for 24fps content.  Very lame they won't fix it.

I'd recommend purchasing an Amazon Firestick.  Works great, zippy interface, only 40 bucks, outputs everything properly

The thing is, I still prefer buying films on disc, and I generally only use Netflix for series. It works fine for that, my Grundig TV has an integrated Netflix app. It might even do 24fps (I never checked), but I watch films on the projector, and obviously the TV's app isn't much help there. I was going to make an exception for Annihilation (and Mute) because Netflix is the original release platform, but it's not really worth buying new hardware just for those.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I understand the ending was very divisive.

I don't know why. I'd have thought the 'Cloverfield' part of the title would have been the clue. What were people expecting, Room 2? Complaints about an actual alien invasion being the "twist" seem redundant to me. 

Tale of a Lake

Finally got to see this after listening to the OST a few times over the past year or two.  Beautiful nature documentary with the interesting angle of using Finnish folklore as a lens to look at the ecosystem of a lake.  Panu Aaltio’s score is quite pleasant.  All a bit sleepy but in a nice way.

B

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Don't waste your time with Mute, it was shockingly awful

That bad? But Moon was so good!

5 hours ago, Jay said:

The third Cloverfield movie is one of the worst films I've sat through this decade

They have a 4th one coming out later this year, set during WW2

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, turns out it's not a Cloverfield film after all (or so they say)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlord_(2018_film)

It was fun in places. Don’t think it was anywhere near that awful. 

I thought the Netflix Cloverfield movie was fine - not great, but entertaining.  Derivative to be sure, but I'm a bit shocked that you'd consider it to be one of the worst movies you've seen in the decade - leads me to believe that you don't watch a lot of genre stuff.

I don't know who you are talking to but I'm very familiar with "genre stuff". That doesn't mean I have to be overly tolerant for bad sci-fi movies. The more I see the more critical I become.

For what it's worth, Mute is worse than Cloverfield Netflix but Annihilation is better.

12 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

That bad? But Moon was so good!

I enjoyed Moon, but Mute is... wow, completely different, and not very engaging.

12 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It was fun in places. Don’t think it was anywhere near that awful. 

It had monents of fun, sure.  I really enjoyed the score, too.

I thought Source Code was hideous, unwatchable, but many liked it. I didn't really like Moon either, but that one was okay. To me, Bowie's son lacks storytelling skills. Mute proves it.

Source Code is goofy fun!  Great score by Crispy Bacon too (well, great Main Title at least)

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Really dumb movie is really dumb.

It was either this or get dragged to The Purge.

Also features a shit score by Gia. Screaming choirs does not a great score make.

1 minute ago, KK said:

It was either this or get dragged to The Purge.

By whom?

1 minute ago, KK said:

Also features a shit score by Gia. Screaming choirs does not a great score make.

There's gonna be another member with the initials KK who will disown and disdain your presence here.

Also got to see this last week:

2018-06-17_ent_41725678_I1.JPG

Hereditary

It's not the scariest thing ever made. But it is a very well made piece of horror that bides its time, makes you settle in comfortably in its world, before it begins to break you down. There are definitely some bone-chilling set-pieces in here. I'm looking forward to seeing what the director puts out next.

I liked the unsettling sax score as well, though it's not something I'd listen to on its own.

8 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

By whom?

Friends. Had a tough time deciding on a movie the whole group was okay with.

44 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Did anyone see Source Code, his movie after Moon?  My wife saw it and enjoyed it but I've never gotten around to watching it.

I enjoyed it. Was much more lighthearted than the trailers made it out to be. 

21 hours ago, publicist said:

Was it that cellar movie where aliens turned up at the 75-minute mark? Yeah, that came off a bit wretched.

10 Cloverfield Lane feels like a Dark Mirror tale. It's no wonder the director went on to work for the TV series.

19 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

What did people here think of Black Dahlia? I never got around to watching it. 

I only saw it back when it came out theatrically (the last De Palma film so far to get a theatrical release around here, I think). I didn't actively dislike it, unlike (as far as I recall) most critics at the time. It certainly isn't anything special though. I remember one great tracking shot, and I'm sure like most sub par De Palmas it's worth watching for its aesthetic qualities, but it's not something anyone must have seen.

Now when will Femme Fatale finally get a HD release?

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Now when will Femme Fatale finally get a HD release?

I've been waiting forever!  I want to watch it again, but can't bring myself to watch it in SD

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

remember one great tracking shot, and I'm sure like most sub par De Palmas it's worth watching for its aesthetic qualities

Is De Palma the most betwixt and between director ever? :P

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Did anyone see Source Code, his movie after Moon?  My wife saw it and enjoyed it but I've never gotten around to watching it.

It's a weird film. It has an exciting if very constructed premise for a film of its kind, and I though it was very well made, but it so desperately tries to convincingly explain its technical twists that it ends up with a mess of contradictory technobabble that's hard to take, especially if you like everything else about the film.

I don't know anything about Mute, but given Moon (which I loved) and those qualities which Source Code does have, I do want to see it. Perhaps I should just break my own "films must be seen in a (home) theatre environment" rule and watch it on the TV Netflix.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've been waiting forever!  I want to watch it again, but can't bring myself to watch it in SD

I've seen it at the cinema and watched the DVD plenty of times, but I can rarely bring myself to watch films in SD these days, and certainly not something as visually overwhelming as this. I'm with Neil (who?) in counting it among De Palma's greats.

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm with Neil (who?) in counting it among De Palma's greats.

Yea, I loved it when I saw it in 2002.  Haven't seen it since; I hope it holds up!

12 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Along with Oliver Stone I find them to be the most overrated directors. 

JFK and Natural Born Killers are good films! The latter because Rodney Dangerfield.