Mr. Breathmask

What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

29463 posts in this topic

For @Muad'Dib!

cria_cuervos-2.jpg

Cría Cuervos - Carlos Saura (1976)

Well, that was a rather depressing movie! It's quite well made, with a rather unique use and integration of flashbacks (flawlessly done, may I add) which gives it a great flow, and child actors that are really excellent, especially Ana Torrent, the lead. The story is quite dark, even if it doesn't necessarily appears as such at first and leaves you a bit conflicted at the end about what you saw. While, after reading some analysis of the film online, it appears it was meant as a criticism of francoism, I can't say that I noticed the whole symbolic to be found in the film. But even if you don't notice all that, you're still left with a pretty powerful tale about how a child deals with death in many ways.

There is one thing I'm not sure I understood what it was meant to represent, though, and that's the fact that the actress playing Ana's mother also plays the old Ana... Is it because Ana forgot what her mother looked like, and she pictures her as herself? Or is it because Ana, as a grown woman, likes to think of herself as looking like her mother did (as she admired her)? Is it because of some completely different reason? I wonder...

All in all, it's a pretty strong film with moments that stick with you (the girls reenacting the argument between their father and mother, the scene between Ana and her grandmother, the scene with the milk...), but it's the not the kind I'd like to rewatch, because of how depressing it is. Still, recommended to watch at least once!

Hunt_for_the_Wilderpeople_Movie_Wallpape

Apparently this is the most successful New Zealand produced movie of all time. How nice, because it's just splendid! Five minutes in and I was thinking, ugh, this isn't for me, especially on a Saturday night, but then the wonderful subversions began and what continued was a little cracker of an adventure. In fact it's probably the best unlikely pairing buddy movie I've see since Midnight Run. Very funny, sincere, warm... and mad as hell: this is exactly my kind of comedy. Deserving of discovery. 

Taika Waititi? Interesting. You should definitely check his comedy What We Do In The Shadows. Downright hilarious mockumentary about vampires living in the modern age, dealing with stuff like "How to dress properly for a night out when you can't see yourself in the mirror?" or them watching their very first sunrise on Youtube. One of my favourite comedies in recent years. Highly recommended!

shadows-still_46658.jpg

publicist likes this

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

Hunt_for_the_Wilderpeople_Movie_Wallpape

Apparently this is the most successful New Zealand produced movie of all time. How nice, because it's just splendid! Five minutes in and I was thinking, ugh, this isn't for me, especially on a Saturday night, but then the wonderful subversions began and it was a little cracker of an adventure from there on in. In fact it's probably the best unlikely pairing buddy movie I've see since Midnight Run. Very funny, sincere, warm... and mad as hell: this is exactly my kind of comedy. Deserving of discovery. 

For whatever reason it took me 30 minutes before realizing Sam Neil was in this.

He's pretty good in this, seemed happy to take a back seat and let the young star work his considerable charm. 

Not yet, but it's on my list since you mentioned it a while back. 

I kept thinking Sam Neill's old man looked like Harrison Ford. 

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Yet now we're on the subject, Ford would also have been absolutely perfect in this part ;)

Not really: Sam Neill can actually act.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

For whatever reason it took me 30 minutes before realizing Sam Neil was in this.

There's a great big clue on the poster, Pub. You know; where it says "Sam Neill". :lol:

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Yet now we're on the subject, Ford would have also been absolutely perfect in this part ;)

Ford would agree but i always found him a retching presence in stuff like 'Morning Glory'. He looks like a robot who's programmed to fake 'crusty old geezer' moves. And it's the same kind of performance in '42'. 

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Oh bugger off. 

Sam Neil is probably the better actor though, while Ford is a vastly superior movie star.

Richard likes this

You're not a movie superstar with 70. You are either a character actor by then or in glorified cameos.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Sam Neil is probably the better actor though, while Ford is a vastly superior movie star.

Yeah I'm not really getting at that though. More the old crap that Ford supposedly can't act. 

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Agreed.

To be fair to Mr. Ford, he seems to be like most actors: good at why he does but is, somehow, unable to rise above that source material. Sam Neill can, which puts him among the likes of Dustin Hoffman, Robert Redford, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and John Malkovitch.

As a riposte, Lee, to your request for me to go away, and have anal sex; my favourite Ford performance is definitely THE MOSQUITO COAST - a powerhouse role, in a criminally underrated film!

So...double dumb ass, on you..:P

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Harrison Ford in The Force Awakens was pure movie star.

Glorified cameo=feasting on 40 year old glories. That's not exactly a big achievement.

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Yeah I'm not really getting at that though. More the old crap that Ford supposedly can't act. 

Whoever stated flatly he can't? He just isn't convincing in most roles outside a shrinking comfort zone. In those where he is, he's great. 

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Jesus, all I said was Neill had a look of Ford in this movie. 

Playing with fire..

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Jesus, all I said was Neill had a look of Ford in this movie. 

:lol: Ladies and gentleman, please welcome, the Lee reverse canning service; letting loose worms all over the internet!