What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

It's kind of like how The Abyss and True Lies will go right to 4K, skipping over 1080P like Panic Room did too

I still hope that 4K will finally give us HD transfers of old classics that never made the leap to Blu-ray, like Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk and Arsenic and Old Lace.

3 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Total Recall remake

Aw man I was waiting for the bit when they'd fall down the hill and their faces turned all funny but it didn't happen. What a rip off.

It totally lacked Verhoeven this remake.

s-l300.jpg

The Third Man

Much better actually than I seemed to remember it from some 20 years ago. Not that I thought it was bad, it just wasn't really up to "classic" status in memory, which turned out to be wrong. It's in fact excellent. Good script and cast, Welles steals the scenes he's in, and it looks amazing. The film excels at authentically depicting Vienna and it's people (better than many local films, in fact), something that few foreign films fully succeed at (it reminds me of how convincing I found the various different language segments of Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds). The final chase is a bit unexciting from today's point of view, but it still gives us some excellent shots, and it's all wrapped up very well.

The one aspect that actually doesn't convince me is the score. The famous zither theme is perfect in placing the film firmly in post WW2 Vienna, but it's not enough to carry the film. There's much more to the script, and at times the music even seems to mock the story's darker points. It might also be why the final chase isn't very engaging. It's absolutely the right score for parts of the film, but it doesn't do the full film justice.

Also, having grown up and lived in Vienna for 39 years, it's of course fascinating to see so much of post war Vienna, and mostly presented quite coherently (there are a few sudden jumps from one corner of the city to another, but not many). Some locations are entirely familiar, while others have changed so much that they are hard to place. Side note: The area including the manhole that leads to the final chase (where today you can take guided tours to the film locations) is the same where 24 years later Scorpio would stage a lengthy chase across the construction site of Vienna's first subway).

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The final chase is a bit unexciting from today's point of view

Utterly excellent film.  I actually found the chase quite exciting, but I guess that's because I'm readily excited!

Superb cinematography.  I agree that the music never impressed me too much, but I don't think the film needed a golden age string fest for the suspenseful moments.

6 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Also, having grown up and lived in Vienna for 39 years, it's of course fascinating to see so much of post war Vienna, and mostly presented quite coherently (there are a few sudden jumps from one corner of the city to another, but not many).

I had the same experience when watching Billy Wilder's 'A Foreign Affair', shot in a bombed Berlin of 1948. That they were able (dared?) to make a great comedy out of this is gives me hope for WWIII.

x950.jpg?w=788

Berlin-Ruins-1945-04.jpg

Berlin-Ruins-1945-10.jpg

20 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It totally lacked Verhoeven this remake.

s-l300.jpg

Is that Lawrence Fishburn?

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I like the use of the music, fits with the ironic, cynical tone of the setting and film.

Hm. There's plenty of cynicism in the film, by the characters. That's why it fits the setting well. But I don't think the film itself presents its darker points in a cynical way, and that's where I think the score falls short.

7 hours ago, publicist said:

I had the same experience when watching Billy Wilder's 'A Foreign Affair', shot in a bombed Berlin of 1948. That they were able (dared?) to make a great comedy out of this is gives me hope for WWIII.

I haven't seen that yet, but last week I watched One, Two, Three, another film I hadn't seen in 20 years or so. Quite hilarious; about two thirds in it seems like it's nearly over, but that's only just before the film (and Cagney especially) switch to high energy mode and sustain that for an impressively long time.

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Hm. There's plenty of cynicism in the film, by the characters. That's why it fits the setting well. But I don't think the film itself presents its darker points in a cynical way, and that's where I think the score falls short.

I guess I can see your point while not agreeing.  The film certainly has no moral gray area when it comes to Lime's crimes (heh, "Lime's crimes").  And definitely part of the pleasure of the film is watching Holly Martins' character almost  completely drop his jaded, cynical facade.  But he doesn't quite, not really IMO.  In fact, the events of the film probably only serve to make him more jaded and kind of pathetic.

I dunno, the music just worked for me.

Either way, it's a goddamn classic film with the richness of a great novel!

Enjoy this novelty version of the theme from Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass!!

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I haven't seen that yet, but last week I watched One, Two, Three, another film I hadn't seen in 20 years or so. Quite hilarious; about two thirds in it seems like it's nearly over, but that's only just before the film (and Cagney especially) switch to high energy mode and sustain that for an impressively long time.

And shot in Munich, complete with a replica of the Brandenburg Gate. Cagney interacting with his german flunky is for the ages: 

C.R. MacNamara: Just between us, Schlemmer, what did you do during the war?
Schlemmer: I was in der Untergrund: the underground.
C.R. MacNamara: Resistance fighter?
Schlemmer: No, motorman. In the underground, you know, the subway.
C.R. MacNamara: Of course you were anti-Nazi and you never liked Adolf.
Schlemmer: Adolf who?

MV5BNGYyMjA2MjYtMjA0ZS00Yjk4LWI0NzEtNTdm

If there's one thing that bothered me about it is that it frequently sets up a joke, then visually presents the punchline (e.g. the polka dot dress), but a minute later very deliberately points it out in the dialogue. The one instance where it doesn't do that is in a late scene when a squadron of men looking for a woman with "Russki go home" written on her breasts can be seen standing around in the background, each staring down the blouse of a different woman at Cagney's company, and it's all the funnier for it.

Wilder was often afraid that the audience wouldn't get stuff. Charles Brackett, his collaborator up to 'Sunset Boulevard' often reigned him in, later co-authors not so much. You should really watch 'A Foreign Affair'. There are several scenes, i. e. in the file cabinet, that are about as perfectly written as a a movie scene can be. And of course the sardonic wisecracks are also present ('Give a hungry man a loaf of bread, that's democracy, if you leave the wrapper on, that's imperialism.').

Completely different animals. It's much more in line with (Wilder's own) 'Stalag 13' or 'The Third Man' (post WW2 locations), and of course Marlene Dietrich is the movie's femme fatale:

9ee24bcbe4d807f385739f21cdd0e259--marl%C

I vouch for every Wilder film between 'Five Graves to Cairo' and 'Sabrina' (except for 'The Emperor Waltz' which was wretched...it was done as splashy Technicolor  therapy measure after Wilder came back from the death mills in Dachau).

7 hours ago, publicist said:

You should really watch 'A Foreign Affair'.

I'm not sure I was even aware of it until now (the title seems familiar, but I didn't associate it with Wilder). I want to see every Wilder film at least once, so it's definitely going on the list.

Also still searching for an affordable Blu-ray copy of Witness for the Prosecution. Another one I haven't seen in 20 years.

I've been thinking about re-watching Anatomy of a Murder recently.  I haven't seen it in years but I remember absolutely loving it.  Post WWII Jimmy Stewart is basically my favorite era for any actor ever.  Plus Duke Ellington's score gives the film a pretty unique tone.

@publicist,

I think that's STALAG 17.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I quite like Ace in the Hole.  No wonder it didn't review well at the time though, the film didn't have a high opinion of journalists.

ACE IN THE HOLE, is pure acid, and it's bloody brilliant.

47 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I've been thinking about re-watching Anatomy of a Murder recently.  I haven't seen it in years but I remember absolutely loving it.  Post WWII Jimmy Stewart is basically my favorite era for any actor ever.  Plus Duke Ellington's score gives the film a pretty unique tone.

"Panties".

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I quite like Ace in the Hole.  No wonder it didn't review well at the time though, the film didn't have a high opinion of journalists.

It  didn't have high opinion of people. Wilder reckoned later that he alienated audiences by a) a lack of 'heroes' and b) held too big a mirror before them, with all the gloaters feasting on the emergency.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Apparently, it is the first film to include the word "panties".

And "sperm".

Total Recall (I hope I don't have to specify this, but 1990)

I'm not yet quite sure what I just witnessed but it was awesome.