• Announcements

    • Jay

      Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

      Hello!

      We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Mr. Breathmask

What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

31834 posts in this topic

far-from-heaven-movie-poster-2002-102019

 

Interesting movie. It's about homosexuality and interracial relationships in the '50s. Why is it interesting? Because the entire film is made using the stylistics of a '50s movie and in the '50s both subjects were not talked about in Hollywood. Julianne Moore is perfect. Elmer Bernstein's music reminded me of John Williams' autumny scores. 7/10

 

 

Alex

Richard likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed.

Now, this is a 7/10 film, Alex.

 Dennis Quaid gives a customary low-key performance, that reminds me of his character in PLAYING BY HEART, another underrated, under seen film.

Haysbert is fine, and ever since I saw Julianne More bottomless, in SHORT CUTS...well, let's just say I've been a fan :)

This is the best film that Douglas Sirk never made.

Alexcremers likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love and Friendship (2016)

 

Outstanding Whit Stillman film from last year, now streaming on Amazon Prime.  This immediately shot into the highest tier of Jane Austen adaptations for me.  It's probably the most genuinely funny, witty period piece I've ever seen.  Kate Beckinsale is great as the awful, but entertaining, Lady Susan.  The entire ensemble cast is excellent from top to bottom, they all really seemed to be able to channel the arch, satirical tone the film was going for.  The style of the film is very cool as well, with each character getting an introductory "title card" explaining who they are.

 

An overlooked gem of last year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indy and the last crusade.

 

Wow, I never expected it to be THAT good! Where to start? The whole thing sounded so much better overall, you'd think they made the other two films thirty years ago. Though the story is at times absurd for non-religious people, it was much more compelling and interesting than the first two. Actually, I'd rather just pretend Temple of Doom never existed. What a drag that was compared to this one. This entry was also much more light-hearted and even funny at times. Sean Connery really hash an enormoush speech defect, good gracioush.

 

But the best aspect was undoubtedly Williams' fantastic score. The holy grail theme is just magnificent. This was the first time that JW moved me so deeply, I just couldn't get enough of those solemn brass chords. Then the theme heard in 'Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra'... I love it when Williams uses trumpets and oboes to play triplets at the same time. Then the Nazi theme... I've been watching a lot of Williams films this month: three Indy movies and Born on the Fourth of July, and then I also listened to a bunch of Boston Pops albums. I'm officially hooked on his scores and this one had better have a good album representation.

Nick1066 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The album from 1989 is pretty good but the 2008 version is really superior in every way.

bollemanneke likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Indy and the last crusade.

 

Wow, I never expected it to be THAT good! Where to start? The whole thing sounded so much better overall, you'd think they made the other two films thirty years ago. Though the story is at times absurd for non-religious people, it was much more compelling and interesting than the first two. Actually, I'd rather just pretend Temple of Doom never existed. What a drag that was compared to this one. This entry was also much more light-hearted and even funny at times. Sean Connery really hash an enormoush speech defect, good gracioush.

 

But the best aspect was undoubtedly Williams' fantastic score. The holy grail theme is just magnificent. This was the first time that JW moved me so deeply, I just couldn't get enough of those solemn brass chords. Then the theme heard in 'Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra'... I love it when Williams uses trumpets and oboes to play triplets at the same time. Then the Nazi theme... I've been watching a lot of Williams films this month: three Indy movies and Born on the Fourth of July, and then I also listened to a bunch of Boston Pops albums. I'm officially hooked on his scores and this one had better have a good album representation.

 

Last Crusade has really grown in my estimation over the years. It was always my second favourite of the three Indy films (and still is), but I find myself enjoying it more now than ever. In some ways I think it's superior to Raiders, and IMO the last act of Crusade beats the last act in Raiders.

 

That said, what hasn't grown on me is the "flashback" prologue, which I used to find to be interesting but now I just think its distracting.

bollemanneke likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

That said, what hasn't grown on me is the "flashback" prologue, which I used to find to be interesting but now I just think its distracting.

 

It's pretty bad, when you think about it. Like every other prequel (well, it's not quite a prequel, but you get what I mean!), it feels the need to explain every single thing about the character, how it all came to be. No stone left unturned! And in this particular case, it pushes the envelope even further, making everything that defines the character happen in a single day: the scar, the fear of snakes, the whip, the hat... All in one day! Before that, he was no one, and after that day, he became the Indy you all know and love and didn't change much from that point onwards (that's what I'm worried will happen with the Han Solo film too).

 

As a standalone action sequence, it ain't bad. As part of the Indy story, it's better not to give it too much thought!

bollemanneke and Nick1066 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last Crusade is great fun. There's some unusually shoddy effects work for a Spielberg movie, though. 

Richard likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

 

It's pretty bad, when you think about it. Like every other prequel (well, it's not quite a prequel, but you get what I mean!), it feels the need to explain every single thing about the character, how it all came to be. No stone left unturned! And in this particular case, it pushes the envelope even further, making everything that defines the character happen in a single day: the scar, the fear of snakes, the whip, the hat... All in one day! Before that, he was no one, and after that day, he became the Indy you all know and love and didn't change much from that point onwards (that's what I'm worried will happen with the Han Solo film too).

 

As a standalone action sequence, it ain't bad. As part of the Indy story, it's better not to give it too much thought!

 

Agree with all this.  This was really before movies were giving their characters this kind of "origin" story, so in a way it was ahead of its time. But it was handled like the gimmick it was.

 

I was thinking the other day that I don't really want another Indy film with Harrison Ford.  He's just too old for the part. Leave it as a trilogy. That final scene in Crusade with Indy literally riding off into the sunset closes out his story perfectly.

 

That said, I'm comfortable with recasting the role and seeing stories about a younger Indy's adventures....in a way that I'm not regarding the Han Solo film. I was trying to figure out why I'm not bothered by recasting Indy in a way I am Han Solo. I think it's partially because there are SO many other stories to tell in the Star Wars universe, it's not really necessary to go there, whereas with Indy, Jones is the story.  If we want more Star Wars stories, we can have it without Han Solo. Not so with Indy. Moreover, Solo has mystery and certain intrigue about his past that Indy doesn't have. Like the Clone Wars, NOTHING they can possibly put on screen will match whatever a vivid imagination has Solo doing when he was younger. Over explaining the character will ruin a big part of his mystique. Solo's a rogue and scoundrel in a way Indy isn't.  Scratch the surface too much and the character loses his mojo.

 

Not to mention of course that in addition to the Last Crusade, we've seen several incarnations of a Young Indy, and the character has already been played by a few actors.  So I would not mind seeing more of the character on the big screen, I think there are a lot of stories to explore in that world...without Ford and Spielberg. I think movies about a younger Indy can be more than just "this is how Indy became Indy"...which is what I fear the Solo film will be. 

 

Anyway, this kind of thing seldom works. When I watch A New Hope and Ben talks about the Clone Wars I still don't think of robot droids and The Trade Federation, and if I do it only detracts from the story...so I just try to ignore it. 

bollemanneke likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

 

What a great movie.  My 3rd time watching it, only gets better each time!  One of the best action movies of this decade for sure.

 

And of course I have to mention that Kraemer's score is the best action score of the decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't Breathe (2016)

 

don-t-breathe.20170303013805.jpg

 

 

Rotten Tomatoes: 86%

IMDb: 7,2

Metacritic: 71

Alex: 3/10

 

Universally celebrated thriller (they are even naming a planet after this movie ;)) but it annoyed the hell out of me. I just didn't buy what I saw and was glad it was over.

 

 

Alex

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dracpos.jpg

 

Gaudy Grand Guignol full of excess and bereft of any subtlety. Coppola's last huge movie is an overstuffed gothic bordello greased with lots of ham and given my love for dark vampire yarns this movie is a total failure but seen as flamboyant comic book, it's great fun to watch. The lack of discipline pays off in set and costume design, sadly the performances contained therein - ranging from waxwork Reeves to a wild and demented Hopkins - do not coalesce into a happy alliance.

 

Maybe the elimination of two dozen or so sound and visual effects per frame would have given the myth more credence and weight, as it is no depth is ever achieved due to the lack dramatic weight - it's just one big climax after another. Considering this it's a surprise how engrossing it finally is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a big old Gothic horror-melodramatic stew, it's a lot of fun. Did I read something somewhere once about Coppola doing as many of the effects 'in-camera' as was possible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ridiculous nonsense, but fantastically entertaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

As a big old Gothic horror-melodramatic stew, it's a lot of fun. Did I read something somewhere once about Coppola doing as many of the effects 'in-camera' as was possible?

 

Watching it i'd say it's all practical effect/camera work.

Sweeping Strings likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, publicist said:

Dracpos.jpg

 

it's a surprise how engrossing it finally is. 

 

Sounds like BloodBoal's brute force technique. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Don't Breathe (2016)

 

Rotten Tomatoes: 86%

IMDb: 7,2

Metacritic: 71

Alex: 3/10

 

Universally celebrated thriller (they are even naming a planet after this movie ;)) but it annoyed the hell out of me. I just didn't buy what I saw and was glad it was over.

 

 

Alex

 

 

Isnt it interesting that almost every review you seem to post is "Everyone else praised this movie, but I wasnt fooled"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I am aware, BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA, is the only telling of the tale to get right to its roots; that being a story of love, loss, and redemption. On that level, its packs a real wallop!

Yes, it's hamier than my weekend gammon joint, and cheesier than a fuck-off block of Double Gloucester, but it truly is very powerful, and graphic, stuff. It also has a simply gorgeous end title song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

 

Isnt it interesting that almost every review you seem to post is "Everyone else praised this movie, but I wasnt fooled"?

 

That's a lie. Perhaps those are the ones you remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't Breathe? Thoroughly enjoyed it. Drax needs to watch it. 

 

I didn't even know what it was when it started, I'd just heard it was supposed to be a good horror. Didn't realise it was a Final Girl movie though, otherwise I'd possibly have been put off a bit. 

 

Also, the stalker is Colonel Quaritch! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a fab beard by the looks of it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

He probably thinks it's "dated" too.

 

No, you're thinking of Blake's 7.

 

blakes-7-pic.jpg

 

"Dated? What?!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drax believes Blake's 7 looks great on the Trinitron!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy on the right was great as the Fourth Doctor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My folks are starting to get the shits with me that the only movies we're watching now are slashers I've taped off cable and Netflix. They think I might have a "problem".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

With a fab beard by the looks of it!

 

He's really awesome in this, and with a sequel on the cards, he's bound to carve out himself a little place in the horror movie stalker hall of fame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richard said:

As far as I am aware, BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA, is the only telling of the tale to get right to its roots; that being a story of love, loss, and redemption. On that level, its packs a real wallop!

Yes, it's hamier than my weekend gammon joint, and cheesier than a fuck-off block of Double Gloucester, but it truly is very powerful, and graphic, stuff. It also has a simply gorgeous end title song.

 

As far as I recall, it's pretty faithful to the novel. Never liked the song, but the score is excellent of course.

 

Is there a decent Blu-ray transfer yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frankly, no, just a standard release.

You might want to compare the current Blu Ray release, with an older Super Bit DVD release (although I suspect that the Blu will be better).

 

 

 

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I only know Tom Baker so he's the best Doctor.

 

gallery-1460635992-dalek-fourth-doctor-t

 

This is brilliant! The Doctor being chased by his deadliest enemies... all 'round the BBC car park! Oh, the humanity! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Last Crusade is great fun. There's some unusually shoddy effects work for a Spielberg movie, though. 

 

Basically : ILM took on too many projects in 1989.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe, Jay, but only three of those were Summer films.

Half the budget of LC went to four (four!!!!!!!!!!) people. I don't care what universe you're from, that's gotta hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

X-Men Apocalypse

 

It's not a bad film, just overstuffed when Bryan Singer should've held back (i.e. Days of Future Past) and the CGI-laden climax gets rather redundant. Oscar Isaac is disappointing as En Sabah Nu, Michael Fassbender is his usual classy self, Jennifer Lawrence has more scenes outside the Mystique makeup (obviously sell more tickets), and James McAvoy is just... there. The four newcomers playing the younger Storm, Cyclops, Jean Grey and Nightcrawler needed more screentime, those guys were terrific. 

 

Newton Thomas Sigel's lensing is usually splendid in Singer's films, but it wasn't as well blocked. John Ottman's score was really enjoyable, an actual sequel to X2 than Days of Future Past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inferno.

 

Pfffffffff... I feel out of breath and exhausted. What an insanely fast-paced film. The first half wasn't bad, especially the first half hour, though I quickly became tired of the fact that the whole thing is basically a nightmare from which we don't seem to wake up. Felicity Jones and Tom Hanks are good, but they don't seem to get a chance to think for, like, two seconds. As the story unfolded, I slowly lost interest. How did Sienna die, or did she die at all? Who is Buchard and who does he work for? I have no ide anymore because I didn't get ten seconds to just relax and understand anything. Flashback, cut to another scene, flashback, chase, vision, flashback, action... Everything was a blur. The provoste is good, but the love story between Langdon and Zimsky feels unnecessary. If they had cut that out and allowed the remainder of the plot ten minutes more airtime, or twenty, things would have been so much better. As a movie, it's tolerable at best, as a book adaptation, the ending sucks.

 

And the score... I had already heard bad things about its over-reliance on electronics. I was surprised to find I actually liked some of them, though the low frequencies are way too over-emphasised, as always. Zimmer apparently also doesn't realise that you could score a religious sub plot using choir and orchestra: not everything needs to be synthethesized.

Christ, I'm still feeling hyperactive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now