What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The Voice of the Turtle

Who would've thought Ronald Reagan was a better actor than a hideously overrated President. It's a shame most of his filmography consisted of either chick flicks or World War II propaganda films, but this is a pleasantly entertaining screwball romantic comedy. Eve Arden and Eleanor Parker are absolutely delightful.

The Silence Of The Lambs

One of my favorite aspects of this film is how it manages to be subtle and restrained, while also having these iconic moments of excess. The cinematography and direction make it feel tangible. There’s great atmosphere that seeps throughout: heavy darkness twinged with a bit of fun and flutter with Hopkin’s performance. 

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The Silence Of The Lambs

One of my favorite aspects of this film is how it manages to be subtle and restrained, while also having these iconic moments of excess. The cinematography and direction make it feel tangible. There’s great atmosphere that seeps throughout: heavy darkness twinged with a bit of fun and flutter with Hopkin’s performance. 

The film has no waste. Its lean. It needs no more or less than it is. It is near film perfection. It is everything Hannibal fails to be. 

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Red Dragon is a surprisingly solid and effective film. 

Yup!

3 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

How is Elfman's score?

I've seen Red Dragon twice and I feel like both times I NOTICED the score and kind of thought to myself I should check it out later... but then never do.  So I dunno!

Blade Runner (The Final Cut)

Finally got around to watching this. Here are some of my thoughts. 

First off, the film looks and sounds great. The visual effects, sound design, and Vangelis’ score amalgamate to form a deeply atmospheric and compelling futuristic world entirely its own. The film holds up tremendously well nearly 40 years later. 

I felt the story was somewhat thin and unengaging, though, and with the expectation of Batty, none of the characters were particularly interesting. 

I dunno, maybe it will grow on me? Many of my favorite movies took a few watches to fully appreciate. 

**** out of *****

Murder on the Orient Express, the new one

Was alright. Kevin Brannah shakes things up with some Shakespearean grandiosity that he usually does. Daisy Ridley in a Ridley Scott production, hehehe. The very last scene was dumb as shit though.

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

The characters are not necessarily the only or main characters in the movie.

What?

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

The plot is thin, but the story is very rich.

What?

1 hour ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Murder on the Orient Express, the new one

Was alright. Kevin Brannah shakes things up with some Shakespearean grandiosity that he usually does. Daisy Ridley in a Ridley Scott production, hehehe. The very last scene was dumb as shit though.

I saw this in the theaters but don't remember, what was the final scene?  Was it the part where he basically leaves to go into a sequel movie?

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

I saw this in the theaters but don't remember, what was the final scene?  Was it the part where he basically leaves to go into a sequel movie?

Yeah, he's informed of a murder in Egypt, but I'm like "didn't the murder happen while he was already on the boat?" I dunno, I only pretended to read the book in high school.

50 minutes ago, John said:

What?

While I don't veer as heavily in the direction of "how the film is told" as some others might, you were pointing to this with some of your comments about the production, such as the city itself.  The way it impacts and informs every character's interactions and activities, for example, or how all of its inhabitants are essentially its outgrowths. The themes are in a sense characters in themselves: for example, during that slow motion scene, you're not really feeling any sympathy or emotion towards the Replicant herself, but rather what she and her fate represents for the Replicants and their relations with/status as humans. In a manner of speaking, she's a living microcosm, and this is something that holds true over many aspects of the film.

1 hour ago, John said:

What?

In general terms, I consider the plot to be the A-B points of a narrative: the answer you give to a friend who asks "What happened in that movie/book/game/etc.?" "The Empire finds the Rebels, storms their base and forces them to flee, Luke goes off to Dagobah", so on, so on. But where in describing the plot of Empire Strikes Back would you discuss Yoda's philosophies and relations to the Force, the wisdom of his many sayings? The things that don't directly lie in the path of the plot.

So the A-B to Blade Runner is ridiculously simple and, as you say, thin, but it gives room for the story, everything that surrounds the plot, to fully breathe without getting tangled and confusing the focus. 

Crouching Tiger, Hidden DragonAlways enjoyed this one. Somewhere between entertaining martial arts action and more, shall we say, award-bait drama there is a sweet spot where this film resides.

Karol

Did you know that Netflix funded a sequel movie that came out two years ago?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crouching_Tiger,_Hidden_Dragon:_Sword_of_Destiny

Michelle Yeoh even returned for it (no one else did)

Justice League

Anyone else notice these big superhero movies all seem to have the same plot? I mean seriously, this was pretty much Avengers: Age of Ultron, but instead this time with an inferior Thanos clone as the big bad. Yeah sure it's an entertaining flick I 'spose, but it all just felt like a window browse through the Warner Bros. shop at the mall. And why does Amy Adams get second billing when she's hardly in it?

Yeah, they've been the same for a while, even the Marvel heroes (and some DC ones if the trailers can be trusted) have "grown" into the same cookie cutter oneliner-spewing dude.

Doctor Strange.

Far-fetched and fantastic at the same time. It's been a while since I truly enjoyed a Marvel film from beginning to end, although I would have preferred to see the girlfriend one last time before the credits started. She's a worthy 'successor' of Jane, by the way, and Benedict Cumberbatch's versatility continues to amaze me.

The score deserves praise as well. Giacchino surprised me yet again, even though some of the music sounded an awful lot like Zootopia. After the musical debacle that was Civil War, this one came as a very welcome find. And the end credits suite is especially great, though the entire film suffers from horrible volume fluctuations.