What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

53 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I don't know how you all don't just get sick of the endless production line of origin stories, capes, warring factions, generic betrayal, flirty banter, cheesy wisecracks, predictable dilemmas and destructive invasion finales. It's like people want to be spoon fed the sugar hit which they seem to have unknowingly become hooked on with these things.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Even more snobby than Alex! Quite the accomplishment.

56 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I don't know how you all don't just get sick of the endless production line of origin stories, capes, warring factions, generic betrayal, flirty banter, cheesy wisecracks, predictable dilemmas and destructive invasion finales. It's like people want to be spoon fed the sugar hit which they seem to have unknowingly become hooked on with these things.

You can say the same thing about Star Wars, Star Trek, Alien, Predator, Harry Potter, James Bond or any other series there is. It's just what people enjoy, nothing wrong with that.

Karol

I suppose another way of putting it is I endeavour not to sit myself in front of highly formulaic movies, where possible; and no genre is more embracingly formulaic than the superhero one. So it's easy to avoid that situation completely, in this case. Which is a good thing, for me.

Just now, Quintus said:

I suppose another way of putting it is I endeavour not to sit myself in front of highly formulaic movies, where possible; and no genre is more embracingly formulaic than the superhero one. So it's easy to avoid that situation completely, in this case. Which is a good thing.

No, it is only more formulaic for you because you don't enjoy it.

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

You can say the same thing about Star Wars, Star Trek, Alien, Predator, Harry Potter, James Bond or any other series there is. It's just what people enjoy, nothing wrong with that.

Karol

No. The Marvel superhero movie brand in particular has a very clear and tangible flavour to it. They're essentially all one movie.

Just now, Quintus said:

No. The Marvel superhero movie brand in particular has a very clear and tangible flavour to it. They're essentially all one movie.

Well, yes. It is one series.

Karol

The Marvel's are essentially the same movies with the same tropes, albeit with "different" characters headlining (or in the case of The Avengers, we get them bundled together all at once for a super sugar experience the fans crave and devour).

Just now, Quintus said:

The Marvel's are essentially the same movies with the same tropes, albeit with "different" characters headlining (or in the case of The Avengers, we get them bundled together all at once for a super sugar experience the fans crave and devour).

Yes, you described their model perfectly. That is what they were aiming for and that is what they promised their fans. What's wrong with that?

Karol

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

No, it is only more formulaic for you because you don't enjoy it.

Karol

Not true; I have enjoyed pretty much all of the new wave of superhero movies I've seen to some extent. The last one I saw was Any Man 1 a few months ago, but I had to switch it off halfway through it as we had to go out somewhere. So I never did finish it. I generally don't see these movies though, unless they're already on TV while I'm in the room.

It's all VERY BLATANTY formulaic, Croc.

You got any other defence, superhero boy? ;)

You say you get tired of all the superhero tropes and can't imagine how anyone can eat it up and yet now you claim you enjoyed "pretty much all" of those? Explain.

Karol

36 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Its like watching a TV show on a big screen.

Exactly! It has the aesthetics and the continuity of a television series.

But what makes it all worthwhile with Marvel is that its (almost) all tongue-in-cheek. They're essentially making fun of themselves, and as such you can't be too mad at their shortcomings.

They're comedies.

32 minutes ago, crocodile said:

You say you get tired of all the superhero tropes and can't imagine how anyone can eat it up and yet now you claim you enjoyed "pretty much all" of those? Explain.

If I sat in front of 8 out of 10 Cats, Britain's Got Talent and even EastEnders, I'm sure I'd garner some basic neurological enjoyment out of them.

That doesn't necessarily mean I'll then go out of my way to watch EastEnders on a regular basis.

46 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It's just what people enjoy, nothing wrong with that.

37 minutes ago, crocodile said:

That is what they were aiming for and that is what they promised their fans. What's wrong with that?

Nothing. I mean, it's a decidedly basic reply as counter arguments go (if you don't mind my saying so), but never mind about that. No, the main thing is that you don't push a double standard later on in regards to some other movie or some other populist franchise that you didn't happen to like much. Which is something you frequently do - I've seen you being dismissive about plenty of other beloved blockbuster entertainments which don't happen to fall under your favoured superhero umbrella, Croc. Even though they're "just what people enjoy, nothing wrong with that." Right?

26 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Nothing. I mean, it's a decidedly basic reply as counter arguments go (if you don't mind my saying so), but never mind about that. No, the main thing is that you don't push a double standard later on in regards to some other movie or some other populist franchise that you didn't happen to like much. Which is something you frequently do - I've seen you being dismissive about plenty of other beloved blockbuster entertainments which don't happen to fall under your favoured superhero umbrella, Croc. Even though they're "just what people enjoy, nothing wrong with that." Right?

No, you don't seem to understand. You criticise Marvel for following a formula and what not. But that formula is exactly why those films are as successful as they are. And it is exactly what they were trying to do - to replicate the comic book universe on big screen. It's not that they "can't" make them more individual. It's simply not their aim. So criticising them for being "all the same" is bit pointless. Because it's not like they failed at anything they set out to achieve in the first place.

And yes, you are correct. Because I don't like something that immediately make bold claims about it. We all do. That was my point as well. And you will see me criticising Marvel films as well. Some of them I don't like.

Karol

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

No, you don't seem to understand. You criticise Marvel for following a formula and what not. But that formula is exactly why those films are as successful as they are. And it is exactly what they were trying to do - to replicate the comic book universe on big screen. It's not that they "can't" make them more individual. It's simply not their aim. So criticising them for being "all the same" is bit pointless. Because it's not like they failed at anything they set out to achieve in the first place.

Sigh. I think it's you who doesn't understand here, Croc. See, I've consistently explained that I have observed and I understand the formula of these movies: it is simple supply and demand. I am not criticising the Marvels per se like you say and think I am. No, I'm instead criticising the seemingly mindless masses (and buffs) who continuously go to see them. There's a distinction. Can you see it now?

But if people go to the cinema to watch these films for what they are. 2 to 2,5 hours of plain and simple blockbuster entertainment. 

What's wrong with that?

It depends on what you expect from a film, I guess.

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Sigh. I think it's you who doesn't understand here, Croc. See, I've consistently explained that I have observed and I understand the formula of these movies: it is simple supply and demand. I am not criticising the Marvels per se like you say and think I am. No, I'm instead criticising the seemingly mindless masses (and buffs) who continuously go to see them. There's a distinction. Can you see it now?

But why Marvel and not, say, Bond movies?

Karol

The main difference is that you get a new Bond movie once every 2 years at most. And these days more likely once every 4 years.

With Marvel you get 2 a year, and there's other studios doing their very similar Superhero stuff.

I understand what Lee is getting at.

25 minutes ago, crocodile said:

No, you don't seem to understand.

15 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Sigh. I think it's you who doesn't understand here, Croc. 

I think you will find it is both of you who are mistaken...about a great many things.

Blazing Saddles - granted it maybe tails off a bit towards the end, but for the most part Mel Brooks' riotous spoof Western (complete with an honesty of language in the satirising of racial attitudes that would make a millennial's hair curl) is still a hoot 44 years on.     

29 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I was raised on comic books. Just not the American superhero ones.

It is all much of the same, isnt it?

I suppose it is. I rarely read any these days.

Karol

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Get it right: I'm the only genuine poster here who ignores the scourge of superhero movies wholesale. And snobbery has bugger all to do with it.

Logan is the only superhero movie I've seen since, I think, The Dark Knight Rises.

Ah, Logan is actually the one superhero movie I have really fancied for ages but still haven't seen. And that's not Marvel, funnily enough.

The last superhero movie I saw all the way through was Guardians of the Galaxy 1, when it came out. Quite fun in the cinema.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I think you would possibly enjoy Thor Ragnarok, Lee. Since it kinda a Edgar Wright/Matthew Vaugh type of action/comedy.

Wait, I thought all the Marvel films were supposed to be the same? ;)

Karol

Hounds of Love

One of those "disturbing" thrillers that you'd see with a really cool cover at the video shop. A bit gloomy and oppressive, really, as most of these sorts of films are with absolutely no moments of levity, which annoys me a bit in this genre. But the suspense is effective. It's Austrayian, give it a go, mate.

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

Get it right: I'm the only genuine poster here who ignores the scourge of superhero movies wholesale. And snobbery has bugger all to do with it.

Are you saying I'm not a genuine poster? :(

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Ah, Logan is actually the one superhero movie I have really fancied for ages but still haven't seen. And that's not Marvel, funnily enough.

It's a good movie! This is coming from someone whose friends were all going to see Iron Man ten years ago and said, "Naw, not interested", and completely stayed off the train.

14 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Schaffer is turning in his grave!

Possibly Schaffner might be :lol:

6 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Hounds of Love

One of those "disturbing" thrillers that you'd see with a really cool cover at the video shop. A bit gloomy and oppressive, really, as most of these sorts of films are with absolutely no moments of levity, which annoys me a bit in this genre. But the suspense is effective. It's Austrayian, give it a go, mate.

"It's coming! It's in the trees!"