• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Mr. Breathmask

What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

30979 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Bambi

Just art.  Gets my vote for greatest animated film.

giphy.gif

It looks amazing, but it doesn't work for me as a film.

It works as a piece of art at the most basic level for me.  The most transcendent thing to ever come out of that mega corporation.

I've always preferred Donald Duck to bland...bland Mickey!

In terms of animated shorts, I agree.  Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies was better than the Disney shorts.

1 minute ago, Sally Spectra said:

Looney Tunes was better anyway.

Yes!

Daffy Duck > Donald Duck!

+ Yosemite Sam, Elmer Fudd, Marvin The Martian!

19 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Bambi

Just art.  Gets my vote for greatest animated film.

giphy.gif

First half is pure magic and absolutely amazing, however, once they age it seems to lose all of that.  Never really cared much for that later half.  Certainly a great film overall, though.

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Is it Tarkovsky's Empire Of The Sun?

Pretty much. Spielberg seemed to take a great deal of influence from this particular film, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

1 hour ago, nightscape94 said:

First half is pure magic and absolutely amazing, however, once they age it seems to lose all of that.  Never really cared much for that later half.  Certainly a great film overall, though.

For me it's the other way around, the first half is too sugary but the second is really really engaging, except for that love part... Ugh...

You guys are having a discussion about cartoons and didn't invite me? :(

And c'mon, we all know who the best Disney character really is. 

tumblr_m5og6leO8P1r3jmn6o1_1280.png

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Why not?

Admittedly, I've only seen it once. But after having had an audio cassette version as a child that terrified me so much that I kept skipping the beginning side B (where the mother is shot), when I finally watched the film a few years ago I found it lacking in story and poorly paced. There's a brief exciting sequence in the finale, but it's over before it really gets going. It didn't help that I found the songs too much on the cheesy side.

As a display of animation, it's of course gorgeous.

23 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Wild-Tales-Official-Trailer-the-vandalli

Wild Tales:

WildTales.jpg

6 short stories about revenge and all of them were instantly immersive. Quite an achievement. I could easily watch another six. The one about the two drivers was probably the best one. Must check out what other movies this director has under his belt. 7/10

Alex

A lot of fun. That first scene on the airplane is hilarious! 

Alexcremers likes this

Alex likes revenge as a subject for movies now?

17 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I've always preferred Donald Duck to bland...bland Mickey!

You're not exactly alone. Donald Duck was always more popular back in the day because of his "hot-tempered personality". 

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I haven't seen most of the Harry Potter films in many years, but I always have had a faint memory that the earlier films have a warmer and more lighthearted tone than the later ones. I think I prefer the lighter tone, but we'll see when I watch the rest of them.

Everything is better when it's dark, moody and oppressive. It panders my desire to want to feel like a grown up.

49 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Harry Potter grows up and so do the movies. Some viewers can't relate to that.

Mostly the ones that haven't grown up themselves. 

Alexcremers likes this

On 6/18/2017 at 9:24 AM, Sally Spectra said:

Looney Tunes was better anyway.

Forget Bugs Bunny, Daffy is the real deal.

2.jpg

That Daffy Duck as Dick Tracy cartoon is one of my favorites ever.

23 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Forget Bugs Bunny, Daffy is the real deal.

2.jpg

Disney or Warner. Ducks are better than rodents!

15 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Rabbits aren't rodents!

That's why Ducks are better!

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Makes you think

About?

On 6/17/2017 at 2:44 PM, Alexcremers said:

Wild-Tales-Official-Trailer-the-vandalli

Wild Tales:

WildTales.jpg

6 short stories about revenge and all of them were instantly immersive. Quite an achievement. I could easily watch another six. The one about the two drivers was probably the best one. Must check out what other movies this director has under his belt. 7/10

Alex

I loved it:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24637-what-is-the-last-film-you-watched-newer-films/&page=124#comment-1243260

I'm pleasantly surprised that so many of you have seen it and loved it! 

Really? You didnt think no one else had seen it and you discovered a film before anyone else on JWFan?

Well, I thought you guys were only interested in CGI movies. Talking about CGI.  Now we finally can talk about the explosion. Remember that? That was the most impressive explosion I've ever seen. Not the explosion itself, of course, but the effect it has on people much further away. In fact, from a visual storytelling point of view, the whole direction was quite incredible. 

Stefancos likes this

Yea, it was awesome.

Overall, it was one of those movies I wanted to watch again shortly after seeing it.  Gotta remember to buy the blu

Just looked at bol.com but they only sell the DVD.

9200000058371155.jpg

But it's available at amazon.UK.

91lCuFCMuyL._SX466_.jpg

15 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Alex likes revenge as a subject for movies now?

As a fan of Westerns, I kinda always did.