What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Think about when the bad in “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” sits down and eats soup for a minute or two. Just this repetitive, mondane action for a relatively long period of time, without some exciting music under it (as opposed to final showdown) and without anything too clever with regards to camerawork. It’s especially appearant because the previous sequence was much more exciting.

Makes the impact of the violence that ensues that much greater.

I'm still being highly entertained during those passages, but the dramaturgical concept is correct as you described it.

However, in OUATIA that is not really applied.

Ghostbusters (1984 original)

A near perfectly executed piece of pop entertainment. The special effects seem somewhat dated today, but the cast and script are still as great as ever. Each character is given his/her own moment to shine, and the comedic timing throughout is just right. It’s lightning in a bottle, really; it’s a miracle it all comes together as seamlessly as it does. 

Can anyone honestly say they don’t like this movie? I mean, do people like that actually exist?

**** out of *****

Just now, John said:

Can anyone honestly say they don’t like this movie? I mean, do people like that actually exist?

Yes.

Yeah, I would have liked it to be much funnier, given it’s reputation.

But than, humor is so subjective that it not only varies completely between audience members, but also for the same audience member across several viewings.

I fully expected to love Ghostbusters, but like Chen, I didn't think it was that funny. I haven't watched it in about five years,  so I'm hazy on specifics, but I think I remember feeling that the repartee between the crew wasn't very...not witty, per se, but it just didn't tickle me. It didn't really feel like they were a team, and that Murray pulled most of the comedic weight. The whole thing just felt pretty flat, personally, and dare I say it boring, although there were some gags in there that I enjoyed.

Well-made film, though. 

1 hour ago, Norma's Corpse said:

I never thought the Ghostbusters movies were all that funny, but I still love them.

Beyond the humor, like I said, I still found Ghostbusters to be pretty flat; if I'm not gonna laugh at it, then at least give me a movie with some "weight" to hold on to! It started to do so when they were at the top of the building at the end, but too little too late.

2 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Do you at least like the second one?

Never seen it. Or Titanic all the way through in one sitting. 

//internet armchair critic

Teh moovey has crippling narrative issues inherent in teh script, which maek the story/film less engaging, because the stakes rnt high enuff until the final moments when it's 2 little 2 late. 

5 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I fully expected to love Ghostbusters, but like Chen, I didn't think it was that funny. I haven't watched it in about five years,  so I'm hazy on specifics, but I think I remember feeling that the repartee between the crew wasn't very...not witty, per se, but it just didn't tickle me. It didn't really feel like they were a team, and that Murray pulled most of the comedic weight. The whole thing just felt pretty flat, personally, and dare I say it boring, although there were some gags in there that I enjoyed.

Well-made film, though. 

Same here. The parts I most enjoyed were Murray's kinda obvious adlibbed lines like "It's true, this man has no dick". But I was bored mostly.

I can see why something like Jurassic Park would stay with people and define their youth, even if I don't think it's anything beyond a very good thriller with some magical elements.

I don't see what people saw in Ghostbusters.

3 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Hoping to graduate to more snobby moviedom

You're being real cute right now. Chill out, you don't have to be a snob to dislike a movie, amigo.

21 minutes ago, Holko said:

I don't see what people saw in Ghostbusters

As an adult, no, I can't see why it became such a part of zeitgeist it has, where it's entered the "Bible" area of pop culture. But I can imagine this movie being a real trip and treat as a kid, one that really gets the imagination going. 

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

You're being real cute right now. Chill out, you don't have to be a snob to dislike a movie, amigo.

And uhmuhgawd that terrible bit in the middle rly killed the pacing for me. It just grinds 2 a halt bro. I was so bored then. The moovey lost me and i started checkin facebuk insted

Watched Brian DePalma's masterpiece Carrie. From that shocking beginning to that shocking ending this is a great film. Its goofy and campy. It is so well acted it is no surprise with got the two main stars and Oscar nomination. The score by Pino Donaggio is in mind mind a true essential. Much like Jaws this film's effects didn't work and it made for a film much leaner and tigher. In the end the film's cast elevates it. The result is one of the great horror films of the 70's and one of the great Stephen King films of all time. Sadly I wasn't able to see the film in the theatre as I was only 15. But it ranks as one of my most watched films of all time. 

4 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Seems a load of shite to me.

I wouldn't say that. Watching it, I enjoyed it: it was funny, it was well-made, it was very well structured. I just wished it would've been a laugh-out-loud-till-it-hurts type of film, given its reputation.

But that's the thing with comedies - no matter how masterfuly the joke is set-up or delivered - if you don't find it funny, you won't find it funny. Again, even viewing the same film on an off-day, you sometimes won't laugh as much as you did on another day. Its by far the most subjective genre.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Its by far the most subjective genre.

In fact, Ghostbusters is so enormously subjective that is is one of the most popular comedies ever!

Dracula A.D. 1972 (you know)

Well, I expected some lowly trash comedy with the Count exploring the nightlife of Londontown, but this is more boring than anything else. "Guys, what do we do for the 93rd Dracula sequel?" "Eh, just bring him into the present, it'll be cheaper to just go out on the street".

Parroting myself here, but Cushing's the stable point.

6 hours ago, Holko said:

Dracula A.D. 1972 (you know)

Well, I expected some lowly trash comedy with the Count exploring the nightlife of Londontown, but this is more boring than anything else. "Guys, what do we do for the 93rd Dracula sequel?" "Eh, just bring him into the present, it'll be cheaper to just go out on the street".

Parroting myself here, but Cushing's the stable point.

You know, it's funny, I expected that from it too! But never got it. There's one more in the series after that, but I've never seen it, so the fun trashiness might be there?

It's like Hellraiser III when Pinhead enters the nightclub and wreaks havoc. That was awesome! Although it too is different to what I expected. When I first read about it in the internet, I couldn't help visualising Pinhead wandering through a club being offered drinks and drugs and some high patron going "nice dress, toots". Ah well.

Theatre of Blood (1973) 

Another fun serial killer thriller, this time with a Shakespearean Price. Probably a better film, but even with a smokin' young Olena Tyrell, I think I prefer Dr. Phibes with its weird atmosphere.

15 hours ago, Alex said:

I watched The Shining for the first time at the weekend. It’s okay, I guess. I think I was expecting more given it’s stature. 

It has always been over praised. It features a pair of terrible central performances 

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

There's nothing weird about 2001: ASO.

2001 is the most fucked up “mainstream” film I have seen. It’s brilliant. 

9 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

2001 is the most fucked up “mainstream” film I have seen. It’s brilliant. 

That's the brilliance of Kubrick. They're all "mainstream" films, with mostly big budgets, and headliner casts, just with highly individualized aesthetics. He was the last of a breed that could successfully sell art-house sensibilities to the masses.

Sadly the disparity between the two is greater now than ever.

12 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I like The Shining but I never thought it was frightening. Could it that horror is almost as subjective as comedy?

It's more strange, than scary, like an eerie dream.

1 minute ago, KK said:

It's more strange, than scary, like an eerie dream.

Exactly, that's what threw me off with my preconceptions for a good portion of the running time.

I think the long shot following the couple around and up the stairs when she discovers his "novel" is pretty scary.  It successfully puts you in the perspective of the abused in an abusive relationship to a frightening degree.  The movie gave me nightmares as a teen.

6 minutes ago, KK said:

He was the last of a breed that could successfully sell art-house sensibilities to the masses.

How about Wes Anderson? He's pretty successful.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I think the long shot following the couple around and up the stairs when she discovers his "novel" is pretty scary.  It successfully puts you in the perspective of the abused in an abusive relationship to a frightening degree.  The movie gave me nightmares as a teen.

Those scenes are suspenseful rather than scary, imo.