What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

You won't be disappointed.

Rarely do I praise films in this thread to such a degree, but this was exactly my sort of fun, tongue-in-cheek schlock, but done well. I expect it to have high a re-watchability factor.

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

As for the main title cue. I never understood why Bennie slowed it down when conducting it for albums. Its fantastic in the frantic, hurried pace of the original performance.

To make it easier for Richard Band to copy? :D 

55 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Isn't it a film starring Trump's core demographic?

Yes, but the movie thinks its clever in satirizing them in a coarse smugness that is just as revolting.

It's a movie about how the kindness of others can change a man to re-think his life and become a better person. It just happens to be set in flyover country - things can get a little rough out there, like an old Western. Why must everything with you guys be about Donald Trump?

48 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

It's a movie about how the kindness of others can change a man to re-think his life and become a better person. It just happens to be set in flyover country - things can get a little rough out there, like an old Western. Why must everything with you guys be about Donald Trump?

Would you rather them talk about Kathleen Kennedy? 

I quote a review that summarizes what it really is better than i could hope for:

Three Billboards assumes the aspect of world-weary malcontent but is really just a patronizing scold. It shouts nasty shit in a crowd, draws a reaction, and then brings it down with a but seriously, what is it with those beaners?...It makes the point that there's no salvation but offers salvation; these people who have injured others are forgiven not because there's a moral reset button, but because the movie's almost over and movies that are actually down about our species don't tend to win awards and gather support. McDonagh uses Dinklage as a metaphor even when he has him proclaim his humanity; he says that people can be saved even when there 's no mechanism for salvation nor evidence that these shticky characters desire it or have earned it; he writes violent smut and hopes you'll believe he's merely commenting on it. All of Billy Wilder's films were assholes, too, but they were populated by people who deserved to hold their aspirations. When you have someone talk to a deer and then burst into tears, you're either Douglas Sirk and a genius, or you're the dick who uses drop-needle opera cues to show how afraid you are that someone is going to figure out the difference. Three Billboards is a nasty bit of work, more telling by the fact of its existence than by its execution. People will connect to it. That makes me feel pretty lonesome and afraid out there among the English.

Please guide me to the comment you have in mind, pubs.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

We do condescend Drax to a certain degree. But he bloody loves it though, asks for it.

It's his way of getting attention, isn't it? 

27 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Please guide me to the comment you have in mind, pubs.

Review quote why revolting ≠ satirizing.

17 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Which posts satanise me?

Don't you ever go to work?

I like the first 2 movies and the Ash TV series, but was disappointed in the 3rd movie ... it all but abandons the deliberately OTT splattery gore (a big part of the fun for me) and ramps up the 'wacky' humour.

Armies of Darkness had a big cult following back in the day though. I enjoy it, and I appreciate the more ambitious scope, but the first two will always be better movies for me.

Army of Darkness (1992)

As silly and random a direction as it is to take the series, this is undoubtedly the one I've had the most fun with out of the trilogy. I Slept too long! is a fantastic ending.

Watched Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte.  Noticed the setting/house was the same as used 8 years later in the ABC Tuesday night movie the week Moon of the Wolf. Betty Davis was marvelous in this movie. She goes from batshit crazy to completely sane from one moment to the next.

2001: A Space Odyssey on the new 4K Blu-ray. I watched it over two evenings. Oh wow, this is quite stunning looking release and major upgrade over the previous Blu-ray. It is clearly not the "unrestored" version playing in cinemas but a brand new restored version. I can't really speak to how "accurate" this film looks but apparently Leon Vitali personally supervised colour-timing process on this disc (with some involvement from Nolan too). The standard Blu-ray is also brand new but I haven't seen it yet. Some reviews came out today and people seem to really enjoy this release. Good stuff.

Tonight on the UHD menu... Shutter Island. I actually have a soft spot for this film. Not because it is a masterpiece or anything like that. Unlike most Scorsese films in recent decades, it actually feels like a genuine film and not any sort of award-bait stunt. It actually somehow feels honest.

Karol

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)

Well, this isn't great storytelling, intricate characterwork or an acting masterclass in any way.

But goddamn is it joyous and virtuoso filmmaking!

Precisely how I feel!  The old-school visual effects, the heightened (hammy) tone of the acting, the drrrripping score.  *chef's kiss*

Just a delight!

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

Tonight on the UHD menu... Shutter Island. I actually have a soft spot for this film.

Of course you have a soft spot for this film! It's very Nolanesque. You actually have a soft spot for fast paced, complex and puzzling plot driven movies.

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

Of course you have a soft spot for this film! It's very Nolanesque. 

It is funny that both Inception and this film came out around the same time. :lol:

Karol

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Of course you have a soft spot for this film! It's very Nolanesque. You actually have a soft spot for fast paced, complex and puzzling plot driven movies.

Martin Scorcese knows how to squeeze atmosphere like it's a ketchup packet, which I always considered the main selling point of this movie.

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

My god, that's so not my experience. I love atmosphere driven movies, but this movie simply doesn't take its time to be one.

It does throw in a lot of plot and curves, so it doesn't rest on its atmosphere the way say Blade Runner does, but I remember the movie feeling very thick and pungent, aided by the licensed music.