What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The Fugitive Kind (with Marlon Brando and Anna Magniani in a Tennesee williams screenplay)

Masterpiece!

(this last year I'm watching all the time classic movies [1930-1990] - at least one film every day - trying to keep up with all the masterful films that I have missed and confirming again and again how better were the films then.)

I'm trying to watch the complete filmographies of Cary Grant, Rock Hudson, Marlon Brando, Marilyn Monroe, Doris Day, Judy Garland, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Hitchcock, Elizabeth Taylor, Catherine Hepburn, Paul Newman, Errol Flynn)

Psycho

The story was a lot deeper than I thought it would be - I thought the tense scenes surrounding the murder would take more of the focus, but the plotting was pretty interesting.

The reveal of the twist was a really freaky moment, and that final shot, with the teeth showing for a brief moment, before fading to the swamp, was genius.

Another classic done and dusted!

Barbecue?

bbq is a low and slow method of cooking meat, so no. People often mistake bbq for grilling or cooking out.

These critters got it hot and fast.

I've seen people use a BBQ as an excuse to transform meat into charcoal....

yes they are called bad cooks.

Vertigo

I'm really liking Hitchcock's films and this didn't disappoint. Perfect blend of what comes down to just two performances, and Herrmann's music.

Jimmy Stewart is fantastic in this. Awesome performance. But I sometimes wonder if he might not have been poorly cast in the role.

This is one of the very rare cases when I think a starring role would benefit from being portrayed by a more youthful, nimble thespian.

Give it time to sink in, Chaac, and if possible, see it again in a few weeks. It is a very layered and subtle movie. It is an absolute masterpiece

NO!

Spielberg's best, IMO.

absolutely not.

That's not to say it's not good, it is, but it's no better than a 3 star film at best. Very flawed.

I thought it was very good. It had that "see me again" aura all over it. All the scenes with the planes were amazing and the interactions between the characters were great. Also I loved the photography.

Give it time to sink in, Chaac, and if possible, see it again in a few weeks. It is a very layered and subtle movie. It is an absolute masterpiece

YES!

Spielberg's best, IMO.

Absolutely.

That's not to say Spielberg hasn't excelled equally in other genres, but this is a 5 star at least. Almost perfect.

a bit? Hell it goes atomic. One of Steven's most flawed films, in serious need of heavy editing.

And Johnny obviously had a Johnnygasm with the climax even if everyone else was thinking, alright mate, calm down.

well he left me trying to catch my breath.

Just watched Carpenter's the Thing. The prequel really pays great respect to this film. Carpenter's Thing is a bleak film upon further viewings. Now watching The Thing from Another World, this film is quite the opposite, while it holds strong warning it is most optimistic. The scientists in the original are often misguided but are strong in their belief that an alien visitor would be benevolent. I do need to read the original story.

Green Lantern

I've watched it a second time, and my feelings remain the same. When the movie gets something right, it shows at how good the whole movie could've been (when the titular hero goes into action and the Carol/Hal romance). However, the movie is stuck with a half-baked story, while lifted directly from the comics, feels generic and straight out of "Superhero Movie 101" class. (And the movie does great disservice to Parallax and Hammond's comic-book origins.) Moreover, had Campbell been given final cut and time to make it his movie (a la more post-production time and less rewrites) -- we would've gotten an fun DC hero alongside Nolan's more dour Batman.

As for the criticism leveled at Blake Lively's performance, I honestly don't see it. She's not an Oscar nominee by any shot, but she certainly did better than Katie Holmes and Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Empire is a superb film, even if it does go a bit over the top near the end.

It doesn't. It's the one movie where Spielberg can't go over the top because it everything has to be interpretted and relativized. That's what many people never understood. One could even say that Spielberg didn't go far enough. But it's also Spielberg's best film because no Spielberg film is so layered and rich in symbolism than Empire Of The Sun. It's his only film that I don't get tired of.

I hope they do the film justice on blu-ray but since this is Spielberg's least popular film they probably use some old dirty copy with faded colors.

Alex

It doesn't. It's the one movie where Spielberg can't go over the top because it everything has to be interpretted and relativized. That's what many people never understood. One could even say that Spielberg didn't go far enough. But it's also Spielberg's best film because no Spielberg film is so layered and rich in symbolism than Empire Of The Sun. It's his only film that I don't get tired of.

I hope they do the film justice on blu-ray but since this is Spielberg's least popular film they probably use some old dirty copy with faded colors.

Alex

I agree on every point. Over the years, "EOTS" has grown is stature to the point where it is my second favoutire Spielberg film, after "CE3K".

I can't really add anything to the above post, so I won't try, except to say that it is a surperb achievement, and is a film that deserves a FAR bigger audience.

I found an 8GB copy that looked fine. I hope they keep the grain, it looks very cool that way.

But it's also Spielberg's best film because no Spielberg film is so layered and rich in symbolism than Empire Of The Sun.

A robot film comes to mind. But that one had a (great) fairytale tone to it and was far less subtle for that reason, while Empire is less evident.

Alex

Always is far less popular.

Always made more money. But yes, Empire Of The Sun is slowly but surely gaining respect.

I found an 8GB copy that looked fine. I hope they keep the grain, it looks very cool that way.

Which region? Oh, I get it. I don't download.

Which region? Oh, I get it. I don't download.

I know, I meant to say that the BR will probably be good. Plus I think Spielberg supervises it.

I think Empire already gets respected plenty. It's not as unpopular as you think it is; I hope the idea of that doesn't disappoint you.

The film has aged very well.

It hasn't aged at all.

Alex

I agree on every point. Over the years, "EOTS" has grown is stature to the point where it is my second favoutire Spielberg film, after "CE3K".

I can't really add anything to the above post, so I won't try, except to say that it is a surperb achievement, and is a film that deserves a FAR bigger audience.

I'll agree as well. I couldn't care less if its appreciated or under-appreciated, for me it is a moving, emotional, jarring, tragic film.

The fundamental problem is that Alexcremers and Mr Spielberg see films very differently.

Spielberg thinks a film is about the story and the characters, Alex doesn't. So they are not looking for the same things. EOTS might be a film were both viewpoints go hand in hand, but that's incidental.

I bet Alex loves EOTS because it's the least Spielbergian Spielberg film.

Indeed! What an simplistic post, Steef. It's full of presumptions and wrong conclusions. As if Jamie is not a character, as if Empire Of The Sun has no story ... As if I've ever said movies aren't about story and characters! As if Munich is a film about characters! A lot of people find EOTS too Spielberg while others find A.I. too Kubrick and so on.

It would be a good topic for a new thread or poll though ... What Spielberg film is the least Spielbergian?

Alex

I don't know. Most of his films that I've seen usually retain stringly his usual themes and ideas.

I have yet to see:

-The Sugarland Express

-The Color Purple

-Always

-Hook

-Amistad

-Saving Private Ryan

-The Terminal

-The Secret of the Unicorn and so on

That must be CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.

Spielberg venturing into political dimensions is always a bit suspicious, too.

I don't know. Most of his films that I've seen usually retain stringly his usual themes and ideas.

I have yet to see:

-The Sugarland Express

-The Color Purple

-Always

-Hook

-Amistad

-Saving Private Ryan

-The Terminal

That's quite a list. Start with HOOK, it can only be an upwards curve then.

You can't get more Spielbergian than Catch Me if You Can, publicist. It's all there.

I would venture his least one is The Lost World. That movie could have perfectly been directed by somebody else.

That must be CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.

Spielberg venturing into political dimensions is always a bit suspicious, too.

I have yet to see:

-The Sugarland Express

-The Color Purple

-Always

-Hook

-Amistad

-Saving Private Ryan

-The Terminal

That's quite a list. Start with HOOK, it can only be an upwards curve then.

Hook is my favorite on that list (of the ones I've seen). But I agree you should start with Hook in case you don't get to the other ones.

You can't get more Spielbergian than Catch Me if You Can, publicist. It's all there.

I would venture his least one is The Lost World. That movie could have perfectly been directed by somebody else.

Half true, CMIYC has his fingerprints but it also is quite a bit more mature than most of Spielberg's other films of late (it doesn't overstate the obvious for a change). Agree about LOST WORLD, although you could argue that it has a perfect balance of best/worst Spielberg.

Hook is my favorite on that list (of the ones I've seen). But I agree you should start with Hook in case you don't get to the other ones.

Yeah, like being hit by a sudden diabetic shock. At least you can sue SS then and would probably win the case.

The King Kong part (if you mean the San Diego scene) is actually the most rewarding part of the movie. It seemed to be the only way that a post-Schindler Spielberg connected to a dino-movie -- as a parody. A self-indulgent, shamelessly over-the-top, post-modern take on one of his favorite films filtered through a dated B-movie angle (it's King Kong meets Godzilla). That's the same the spirit behind Raiders (only in that case, Spielberg was way younger and hungrier for quality; here he just seems to carelessly wreck a city because it's fun for him, not because it makes for good storytelling).

In other words, it's almost as if Spielberg felt that he had delivered the movie audiences wanted in the previous two hours and, having fulfilled his duty, added a coda he would enjoy making. It's jarring within the context of the movie but in itself, it's refreshingly authentic. Something the rest of The Lost World never was.

Half true, CMIYC has his fingerprints but it also is quite a bit more mature than most of Spielberg's other films of late (it doesn't overstate the obvious for a change).

Well, he's been that mature even since he made A.I., so it'd be unfair to call the movie un-Spielbergian (when it really is, formally and thematically) just because of that.

I prefer his more recent films. The only thing I hate about Spielberg is the small bits of humor he tosses in now and then. Like Chris Rock in A.I. (so fucking retarded) or when Tom Cruise flies through the apartment in Minority Report.

I didn't catch anything humorus there in A.I., it's one of Spielberg's darkest scenes. But I don't know the guy, maybe it's that. I like the apartment idea in Minority Report but I don't like the overcooked bit.

The Day After Tomorrow

Not bad. Completely preposterous storyline and pretentious ending, but cool special effects and neat concept. Some days I wouldn't mind a massive ice storm freezing half this planet to its knees.

Emmy Rossum's cute as a button in it.

Just not worth watching again.

Half true, CMIYC has his fingerprints but it also is quite a bit more mature than most of Spielberg's other films of late (it doesn't overstate the obvious for a change).

I agree with both you guys ... I asked myself the question: Would I be surprised to learn that Scorsese was the director? Not really ... and yet there's enough Spielberg in it to call it "Spielbergian" (with the Tom Hanks character being the most 'overstating' element of the film). I confess, CMIYC is my favorite later Spielberg and also my favorite later John Williams.

The scene where Leo is watching his parents dance in the living room ... Wow! Probably the film's most telling scene even though there's no verbal information.

Alex