What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The Crow

Dazzlingly stylish, if a bit thin on story. Love how this movie is so visually dark, but you can still see everything that needs to be seen as a result of the carefully crafted contrast between light and shadow. If it was made today, it'd be nothing but a murky, monochromatic blob of dark and darker. Also, the overhead shots of the city remind me of the opening title to the second season of War of the Worlds.

14 hours ago, Fabulin said:

The First Echelon (rus. Первый эшелон) from 1956. Music by Dmitri Shostakovich. In fact I started watching it just to check it's score. It would definitely win this year's Oscars 😄

Don't be so sure. Christopher Willis wasn't even nominated.

Spider Man Into the Spider-Verse

It's really good... Visually. Story and character wise it's..... good. There's just too many characters and so little time. But I applaud the effort.

Spider Man Noir is the best thing from the movie. I knew I recognised the voice.

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

Story and character wise it's..... good. There's just too many characters and so little time.

This.

Its a good movie to be sure, but its has way too many characters, some of which are relegated to weaving in and out of the plot at random (the uncle, for instance).

I felt each character was given enough to do. The various Spider people remained mostly caricatures, though, which I feel made sense, given the story. 

It definitely has a lot in common with Lord/Miller’s previous animated movies (Chance of Meatballs, Lego Movie), most evident in its frenetic pacing and humor. 

Avengers: Infinity War.

Another mostly excellent movie. I'm 'happy' that the people who died weren't my favourites. I will miss Mantis, but then again, Spider-Man is getting another movie, so who knows, everyone might still survive in the end.

The score is packed with interesting action pieces, but Silvestri still fails to move me with most of his emotional music. It reminds me of the similarly bad Guardians of the Galaxy music. The end credits piece is rather good, although I still don't understand why only Black Panther's theme can get airtime while all the previous score themes are neglected. Oh, and why did I hear Captain America's B theme twice in scenes where he's completely absent?

On 1/24/2019 at 12:50 PM, dougie said:

Mr and Mrs Smith

One of the most disappointing star vehicles of this type I've ever seen. And it has no resolution, it just cuts off and ends. Weird.

Yeah. There's a point where you can see it in Pitt's eyes that he's basically phoning it in and thinking of the paycheque.

Meet the Parents

Very funny movie! Especially anything involving the cat. Anyone else have scary stories about meeting your girlfriend's dad? Why is it they're often some macho, ex-military type who gives you a hard time for choosing a career he deems "girly"?

Meet the Fockers

Oh my god, I laughed so hard at this movie, I almost shit myself! I expect the one after this will never measure up, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Jurassic Park: Falling Kingdoms

Now isn't this what we go to the movies for? Unfortunately I missed this at the cinema due to my injury, but it was great catching up with it now. Why did people hate this one so much? Is it just fanatical Spielberg/Williams purists who can't accept that these new Pratt/Howard movies exist and are actually good? The only thing I didn't quite catch was the thingy about the little girl - what the hell was that all about? Is she part-dino? I expect we'll get a pay-off on that in the next one?

24 minutes ago, dougie said:

Meet the Parents

Very funny movie! Especially anything involving the cat. Anyone else have scary stories about meeting your girlfriend's dad? Why is it they're often some macho, ex-military type who gives you a hard time for choosing a career he deems "girly"?

Meet the Fockers

Oh my god, I laughed so hard at this movie, I almost shit myself! I expect the one after this will never measure up, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Bangles connection:  Both these movies were directed by Susanna Hoffs's husband Jay Roach.

43 minutes ago, dougie said:

Jurassic Park: Falling Kingdoms

Now isn't this what we go to the movies for? Unfortunately I missed this at the cinema due to my injury, but it was great catching up with it now. Why did people hate this one so much? Is it just fanatical Spielberg/Williams purists who can't accept that these new Pratt/Howard movies exist and are actually good? The only thing I didn't quite catch was the thingy about the little girl - what the hell was that all about? Is she part-dino? I expect we'll get a pay-off on that in the next one?

Awesome you finally got to it!!!...though I’m not sure this belongs in the Older Films section. Hasn’t even been a year since it came out!

5 minutes ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

Awesome you finally got to it!!!...though I’m not sure this belongs in the Older Films section. Hasn’t even been a year since it came out!

I just ignore the thread title and chuck everything in here because it gets more traffic.

No, do you say that because he is gay, that is a common bit of hatred thrown the way of gay people.

6 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

No, do you say that because he is gay, that is a common bit of hatred thrown the way of gay people.

Yes. Yes that's it exactly.

He's on some crime program right now and he's giving me the willies.

5 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Yes. Yes that's it exactly.

MW.jpg

Empie Of The Sun (1987)

Plot Summary: A young British boy living in English operated China looses his parents amid a mob running away from Japanese soldiers during World War II.  He then joins two Americans and is soon taken prisoner by the Japanese army.  He is taken to a Japanese camp.  Although the boy is obsessed with military in the start of the movie, he learns the struggles and tragediesof war, but makes a living by trading with other soldiers and other camps.

The movie is heavy.  The movie focuses on Jamie Graham (The boy played by Christian Bale) and his psychological and physical struggles during the war.  

There was a minimum amount of action, but from a standpoint as a film watcher and not a Star Wars fan I would have to say that the philosophical elements of the film make it a four star movie.  I love the score but I will post a score review on it in “What Was The Last Score You Listened to”.

SPOILER: (You guys probably already watched this movie)  The boy is reunited with his parents at the end.

Hard movie, but good score. 

****out of****

17 minutes ago, W0$ said:

It's so boring. 

Well, it does lag now and then, but from an emotional and philosophical view, it's a great piece of film.