Mr. Breathmask

What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

The best BBC introduction to a movie that I've ever heard was "Fancy a swim?"

Guess what movie started?

Oh, er...TITANIC?

3 minutes ago, John said:

“Where’d you get that scar from... eatin’ pineapple?”

"What happens in the future? Do we become jerks, or something?".

6 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Back in the day, though ... man alive. Die Hard used to play on TV with 'melon farmer' being the phrase at the end of 'Yippee-ki-ay!', and that was after 9:00 at night 😲.    

You see what happens when you find a stranger in the alps?

11 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

You see what happens when you find a stranger in the alps?

'Man alive' ... oh. very good  😄

Spiders, then cannibalism ... you'd have been forgiven for thinking at one point that Frank Marshall was deliberately seeking out projects with repellent subject matter to direct.  

Laura

I love Gene Tierney in a film noir, but this was a bit disappointing in its second half - as if all the mystique of the first half suddenly vanished. Still, it starts off with everyone reminiscing of a dead girl named Laura whose past is conveyed through flashback - David Lynch and Fincher see this movie? Some Twin Peaks and Gone Girl in there.

Exodus: Gods and Kings

I didn't mind this! Lacks the schlocky entertainment value of the Heston movie, but still compelling when you're wondering how a modern film approaches this Biblical yarn.

Days of Thunder

One of those movies that I'd seen on video shelves and on posters for years but never felt motivated enough to watch it until now. Just one of those Tom Cruise vehicles existing only to further elevate his emerging movie star deity status. The movie itself is okay, with some exciting track stunts. Almost felt like another movie he did The Color of Money, only instead of being a billiard prodigy, he's just so damn amazing at car racing. The dramatic element is dull as motor oil, but one plot turn suddenly makes a certain Simpsons episode finally make sense to me.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Whoa dude this was like so excellent. And JWfanners need to be excellent to each other! This was fun pulp. Loved it.

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey

Anyone else prefer this one to the original? People seem to hate it but I liked it more! The stakes seemed higher, it had some surreal moments thrown in to like make it even weirder dude. They don't make schlock as exciting as this anymore. Try explaining the plot to someone who just walked in on you watching it - you'll laugh barrels just hearing yourself saying it.

....EXCELLENT ADVENTURE is good, but ...BOGUS JOURNEY craps all over it, from a great height.

Best lines:

"I totally possessed my dad",

"We were totally lied to by our album covers", and

"We're fully-programmed to do it".

"Yeah; we wanna do it, too".

Ok, so the characters are one step away from being full-on stoners, and one could be mistaken for thinking it's all a bit Cheech and Chong lite, but the film is so full of innocence, and hope, and happiness (as is the original) that it's hard not to get caught-up in it.

I, for one, can't wait to see what they do next.

Wayne's World

I remember seeing this years ago but I wasn't really all that into it. My older brother dug it a lot though. One of those rare Paramount movies with the Paramount fanfare over the logo.

Wayne's World 2

I was mostly bored by this. A few funny gags here and there, but it had no momentum. Rather like the limp AVGN movie. Still, Tia Carrere and Kim Basinger are absolute 10s.

Dumb-but-harmlessly-so 'metalheads' were a bit of a thing in the late 80s/early 90s, what with Bill and Ted and Wayne's World. Then there were Beavis and Butthead, who were possibly not as harmless ... ahuh-huh-huh huh-huh-huh huh-huh-huh.   

1 minute ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Dumb-but-harmlessly-so 'metalheads' were a bit of a thing in the late 80s/early 90s, what with Bill and Ted and Wayne's World. Then there were Beavis and Butthead, who were possibly not as harmless ... ahuh-huh-huh huh-huh-huh huh-huh-huh.   

I like how they all talk like the Ninja Turtles.

Donnie Darko (Director's Cut)

While watching, I kept thinking "Don't do what Donny Don't does" - an apt connection to a film that feels like a raft of Simpsons satirical ideas rolled into over two hours about how suburbia sucks, only this time more dark and disturbing. Hollywood seems to revel in attacking the mundane monotony of the suburbs - no doubt because much of showbiz is made up of people who escaped the sprawl and fled for the artsy fartsy coast. As for the title character, aside from a few exceptions, he might be the only sane one in the movie despite his hallucinations - "irony" a core theme at work? Oh and the Lynch inspiration is everywhere here.