What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Just the Williams ones.  The Powell too for the most part.  Giacchino's stunk.

That seems to be the general consensus here. 

I'm surprisingly positive about Gia's score from Rogue One just by my single watch of the film.

I feel bad for him actually. I'm sure he was dying to score one of the new Star Wars scores, but the situation must have been a mess.

Tbh, I thought it was a perfectly serviceable effort, even if it tried a bit too hard to emulate the Star Wars feelz (which it pretty much achieved in doing), but damn the guy only had a few weeks to bang it out. It's a bit dickheadish to slate him too heavily for it IMO.

Yes! Poor Gia....he tried.

Such a nice bloke.

The Powell is more polished. Powell is a far better and more versatile composer than Giacchino. But he feels sterile. The score hasn't really hooked me. Despite the new Williams theme.

Pity.

MPW-76991

Tense and fairly grim WW2 thriller, located on a german battleship with Marlon Brando as british/german agent who must stop the vessel before it's reaching France and Yul Brynner as disillusioned german captain. It's a technically brilliant film (Conrad Hall did the spectacular b/w photography) that knows how to deepen its characters and actions in some important scenes that make it go beyond mere war adventure. German director Bernhard Wicki's only Hollywood movie. It tanked, of course.

Mission: Impossible

Entertaining but shit this movie's hard to follow. Doublecross here, backstab there. Plot lost me after the initial mission to get this list thing or something. Whatevs, it's got stunts and shit.

West Side Story

Spielberg must be kooky in the head. Waste his time on this? This is already brilliant!

America is of course the highlight - great catchy tune, clever lyrics and choreography that gets your blood boiling.

I did not expect to know anyone from a 1961 musical, so it was a great surprise to see Ben Horne and Dr. Jacoby broing it up.

3 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

West Side Story is the best.

Spielberg is holding his brush up to an already finished and fine canvas. Don't bother Steven.

I hope Williams will adapt the score. Putting this awefull 60's music up to date is a challenge.

7 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Mission: Impossible

Entertaining but shit this movie's hard to follow. Doublecross here, backstab there. Plot lost me after the initial mission to get this list thing or something. Whatevs, it's got stunts and shit.

Not surprised, considering Serenity and all...

jszsrysrol-1465245011.png

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Maggie Smith, for many years now wasted on stock british upper-class caricatures, in her first Oscar-winning performance. She's a progressive if snotty young teacher of a scottish boarding school of the 1930s - the Edinburgh surroundings with Smith wandering through them have an eerie ring of Potter - and the film, based on a play by Muriel Sparks, deals with the conflict between progressive and traditional methods of parenting. It's a tricky movie because it sets you up for a good rub of sentimental dross of the 'Goodbye Mr. Chips'/'Dead Poet's Society' variety but here, the influence of Smith's dynamic, eccentric teacher on her children is dangerous and unwholesome. 

She forces her own skewed and overly romanticized worldview on the girls, who are devoted to her, crushing their individual gifts instead making them puppets in her own grandiloquent theater. Her sexual repressions are transformed into a fake liberal world view on the surface but find their true color in her adulation for fascist leaders like Mussolini or Franco. Naturally she wreaks havoc among the most vulnerable, who are eager to act out the Brodie's inane fantasies, i. e. becoming a spy in Franco's Spain or having affairs with other teachers. Chillingly, the film's passage of time suggests that when a new class arrives, she picks students with the same physical characteristics and begins to indoctrinate them the same way. 

In the end, she gets her comeuppance by one girl who sees the truth and when she betrays her teacher, it's a big emotional moment: she leaves the school to a voiceover of Smith's character from the beginning, 'Give me a girl at an impressionable age, and she is mine for life', realizing how much she was shaped by her and that cannot be undone.

While the film is well-done, it thrives on the performances, especially Smith and Pamela Franklin (Smith's then-husband Robert Stephens also has a meaty role as lusty art teacher). It might be of another time, but is immensely watchable, especially for its ambivalence.

Taken 2 - even with the lowered expectations that come with trashy-ish action flicks, this was still pretty bad. Directed as if it was expected that everyone who watched it would have ADD.  

Mission: Impossible II

God, if you could look up "star vehicle" in the dictionary, there'd be a picture of this movie's poster. And wasn't this the height of Tom's mega-stardom? I remember how hyped this was when it came out, especially in Australia where the media circus was huge in promoting it as some tenuous tie-in with the Olympic games. And that's what bothers me a lot about movies made in Sydney as I know the geography here so well, I can't help laughing at moments in movies like this where they've taken every opportunity to get a shot in some picturesque locale, like Darling Harbour, but there's no practical reason why the characters even need to be in that spot. It's as if it was produced by Tourism Australia.

Ah well, cool stunts. And some of the visual excesses of the first movie like the overuse of di-opters and Dutch angles are conspicuously absent here. Oh and Hans, this is Mission Imfuckinpossible, not fuckin Gladiator.

Mission: Impossible III

Yeah, not toooo bad, but felt a bit on the mediocre side. It's just that M:I2 was so laughably bad, I thought this one was a bit too generic. Anyone else notice the evolution of how movies looked as this series progresses? Like the first two had that stylised but naturalistic aesthetic of 90s action thrillers (although the first one was loaded with all those gee-wiz Panavision anamorphic gimmicks that stick out like dog's balls when you've trained your eye to identify them), but then M:I3 has that high contrast, orange and teal look? I swear this looks like a precursor to the Transformers films, which were only a year away, and from the same studio.