What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

Again, don't get ahead of ourselves too much, you won't have material left the day after tomorrow!

Don’t forget, the female lead is old Rose from Titanic!

claude-rains-gloria-stuart-the-invisible

When I first saw it years ago, I was shocked by how gruesome The Invisble Man could get...I thought most films at the time were like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, where almost all instances of that sort of thing were scrubbed squeaky clean! 

This and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington have my favorite Rains performances. 

Psycho II

Just revisiting these flicks after having so much fun with Bates Motel. It's suddenly surreal coming back to the Perkins Timeline after spending so long with the Highmore Timeline. Both are vastly different, aside from the obvious reason that the later one is set in the present day rather than thinking it has to return to the 40s and 50s. Anyhoo, Perkins owned this role, the guy really was the right fella to be Norman Bates.

4 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Psycho II

Just revisiting these flicks after having so much fun with Bates Motel. It's suddenly surreal coming back to the Perkins Timeline after spending so long with the Highmore Timeline. Both are vastly different, aside from the obvious reason that the later one is set in the present day rather than thinking it has to return to the 40s and 50s. Anyhoo, Perkins owned this role, the guy really was the right fella to be Norman Bates.

I watched the RLM video on it yesterday, and ya know what, it sounds like a movie I want to see. Really want to check out Goldsmith's score, too.

So no reaction to The Mummy, one of Universal's best horror classics? Alright then.

Tonight on the Holkoween:

Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932)

It's alright. The gorgeously weird architecture, Lugosi's bushy unibrow and general overacting overpower the hokey story and useless comic relief.

The finale of a gorilla climbing on buildings carrying a pretty girl then getting shot and tumbling down is... strangely familiar...

TO  BE CONTINUED

33 minutes ago, Holko said:

So no reaction to The Mummy, one of Universal's best horror classics? Alright then.

Tonight on the Holkoween:

Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932)

It's alright. The gorgeously weird architecture, Lugosi's bushy unibrow and general overacting overpower the hokey story and useless comic relief.

The finale of a gorilla climbing on buildings carrying a pretty girl then getting shot and tumbling down is... strangely familiar...

TO  BE CONTINUED

The Mummy is a near perfect film. As I argued earlier it features one of the all time greatest works of makeup in Karloffs mummy. 

Eh, why not make it a double feature today?

The Invisible Man (1933) (seen before)

A great one. It's unexpectedly gruesome and gritty, Rains characterises this madman perfectly, and the effects are fun and creative.

I remembered the only detractor being the insufferable screeching bag (nothing against Una O'Connor, she does her job fine, it's this character who is supposed to be funny by constantly piercing your eardrums I have problems with), but she isn't in it as much.

Una O'Conner is wonderful

The effects are great. Todays effects would only be a bit cleaner but basically they would work the same.

On 10/1/2018 at 5:18 PM, Nick Parker said:

Hell yeah! Very similar to Blade Runner in that regard.

The movie that is the closest to Blade Runner is another city movie called Midnight Cowboy (John Schlesinger). In both movies, the characters are looking to get out of their bleak situation but they live in a world that is ultimately indifferent towards them.

That's why I never will reconcile with the sequel. It's makes the characters seem too important.

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

That's why I never will reconcile with the sequel. It's makes the characters seem too important.

I can't remember, did you see it? 

This was my major concern for the sequel as well, especially when they announced Harrison Ford's return. Ultimately, I think they did a very nice job crafting their own plot, themes, and atmosphere, not just riffing on the original, but still, I too am a little offput by it.

Honestly, I could watch 15 movies set in the Blade Runner universe...I'd just want the stories to be almost completely unrelated to each other.

Psycho III

I remember first seeing Psycho on TV in 1994 (or 95??) and shortly afterward visiting the local video shop and spotting all the sequels lined up on the shelf and going "wait, there's more of these?! How come nobody told me this?! Hey mum, rent these!" And of course she did. And I frickin' love these movies, particularly this trashy entry directed by Perkins himself. Almost like Shatner directing Star Trek V. I like all the visual symbolism he litters throughout, like the Maureen character, who represents a sort of purity that Norman lacks and yearns for, but is the opposite of the zealous puritanicalism of his own old chook. Which leads to...

Psycho IV: The Beginning

Faaark, his mother had nice big tits. Clever idea to have Norman call into a radio show to tell his story - effective way to prevent a sick old Perkins from having to do much for most of the film's duration. It's interesting how the latest TV show made his mother such a likeable and sympathetic character that you're sad when she finally does go, but this cruel old wench, you're like "good riddance!" Oh and as for Henry Thomas as young Norman, in one scene he looked like his little ET was about to pop out! I guess viewers can take some solace that unlike Highmore's modern Norman, at least Perkins' iconic version gets a happy ending.

And by the way... watch the guitar.

Ex Machina.

Quite interesting. I did become a bit tired of Nathan, but now that it's over, his motivations are starting to make more sense to me. I also wish the story could have lasted longer, it ended when things were getting really interesting, but I loved Nathan's final fate.

The score was at times great and at other times obnoxious. The classical piano music was a Delight.

20 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Ex Machina.

Quite interesting. I did become a bit tired of Nathan, but now that it's over, his motivations are starting to make more sense to me. I also wish the story could have lasted longer, it ended when things were getting really interesting, but I loved Nathan's final fate.

The score was at times great and at other times obnoxious. The classical piano music was a Delight.

I thought the ending was absolutely what it needed to be. Honestly, the only big complaint I have with the movie is Oscar Isaac's demeanor. It just felt Garland thought, "Oh man, this movie's heady! I don't want everyone to think I'm up my own ass, I better write this character to be relatable to the general audience!" I see how this could be a "disarming" tactic on Garland's part, but it didn't work for me.

Also, this cue really struck me in the theater. 

(Although I keep hearing it 3/4 ad it's playing, and it's really tripping me up)

Yesterday, Claude Rains was the Invisible Maaan

Then something went wrong for Fay Wray and

King Kong (1933)  (seen before)

Quite a jump not only in studio, but genre, too - effects-heavy creatuere feature instead of atmospheric horror exploring madness and science.

One won't find a masterpiece of a story or engaging characters here, but that's not the point, is it? Kong's the point and he's glorious, then quite sympathetic by the end. The effects are charming, intriguing, insanely creative and groundbreaking. Little character moments like Kong looking sadly at his stabbed hand or opening the Rex's jaw a few more times after he's dead add greatly to his believability. The score's magnificent, if a little overdone in the second half.

The worst part is how inconsistent Kong's looks can be - between the live-action giant puppet head with the stupid grin and the stop-motion one rebuilt multiple times (the leather and rubber hardened under the studio lights too quickly), where once his skull is long and pronounced, a shot later his eyebrows are way overexaggerated, he barely looks the member of the same species, let alone the same specimen. 

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

I thought the ending was absolutely what it needed to be. Honestly, the only big complaint I have with the movie is Oscar Isaac's demeanor. It just felt Garland thought, "Oh man, this movie's heady! I don't want everyone to think I'm up my own ass, I better write this character to be relatable to the general audience!" I see how this could be a "disarming" tactic on Garland's part, but it didn't work for me.

Also, this cue really struck me in the theater. 

(Although I keep hearing it 3/4 ad it's playing, and it's really tripping me up)

Agreed, but I was so looking forward to seeing Ava in the real world or what might happen to her. Also, is the official OST 1 CD or 2, does anyone know?

On 10/4/2018 at 4:31 PM, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Psycho II

Back in the day, this was what my trying-to-get-me-into-horror-movies buddy had us rent from the local VHS shop in order to convince me that they could be fun (at the time, I couldn't see what entertainment there was to be had from being scared) ... after enjoying this, the next one we rented was the original version of The Evil Dead. 

So I went from being 'broken in' by a relatively subtle horror-thriller to a full-on gorefest, lol.      

10 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Ex Machina.

I enjoyed Ex Machina but the ending was a bit B movie-ish. Why did Oscar Isaac forget to build in Asimov's Three Laws Of Robotics?

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I enjoyed Ex Machina but the ending was a bit B movie-ish. Why did Oscar Isaac forget to build in Asimov's Three Laws Of Robotics?

She had transcended the realm of robotics and became a human being!

46 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I have the whole set!

20161110_015605.jpg

22 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

No, I want to keep them in good condition. Plus I never wear hats anyway.

If there were ever two posts to capture a poster's essence so completely....;)

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Well, another point that struck me is that AVA didn't really come across as a human to me. You could really tell she was an AI the way she spoke, but I loved the moment she and the other robot started to interact.

Dr No and From Russia With Love. I've never actually seen Sean Connery films so watching two each night this weekend. The first one was enjoyable but felt a bit unfocused. Like it's trying to find it's voice. It's almost like a large budget TV episode. But Connery was very good. The second film is much classier and stylish. Feels like a proper spy thriller which seems like a rare thing. I can see why it's held in such high regard.

What I didn't realise Dr No celebrated its 56th anniversary yesterday so that was an interesting coincidence.

Tonight on the menu: Goldfinger and Thunderball. I've read a book recently about Thunderball and all the Kevin McClory drama so quite familiar with the plot and how it evolved. Curious to see the film. It's a fascinating book as well (The Battle for Bond). Would make a good film actually.

Karol

5th October has been Global James Bond Day since the 50th anniversary. 

The hopes for Dr No were modest, the attitude of its distributors was 'All we can lose is $1 million!'. But it did well, the following FRWL was something of a classic and the rest, as they say, is history. 

Goldfinger is pretty much the one with which the 'Bond formula' is established. 

Refreshing to hear Babs Broccoli declare (in these uncertain times) in an interview that Bond was written as a male character and he will probably stay that way.  

Those MAGA hats ... ah, that clip yesterday of Trump ascending the steps to Air Force One with a piece of toilet paper stuck to his shoe. The jokes write themselves.     

Just have Bond dress up as a woman. He'd dress up... even a cheap wig he bought...

Anyhoo...

Bates Motel

Not many probably know about this failed TV pilot, but now it exists as a near forgotten TV movie. Anyone else ever see those Mr Boogedy TV movies from round about the same time? That's what this feels like. Same cinematographer as Jaws, Bill Butler. Intriguing premise for a show, alas it wasn't meant to be.