What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

4 hours ago, Richard said:

So shall it be written...so shall it be done.

Top film!

There's a book sequel: it's called JOSHUA.

@dougie, you're right. If you take away all the Rathbone/Bruce films, all the Thin Man films, all the BROADWAY MELODY OF... films, all the Universal horror films, all the Tarzan films, all the ROAD TO... films, and all the Abbott and Costello films...there weren't many sequels.

All I can recall is the sequel to Father of the Bride.

Off the estimated 500000 films made since the medium's inception 750,000 are sequels. 😄

The Social Network

Thank christ for closed captions. Is that all these American high end college students do, just throw noisy frat parties and invite lotsa strippers? I could just barely follow this muted brown pile of fudge pudge. Sorkin needs to listen to how people actually talk - the guy seems allergic to the ums, uhs and sentence breaks that people actually do. I loved The Game but Fincher's losing his coolness points really quick.

9 minutes ago, dougie said:

Seen it. Wasn't much keen on that either.

Well the director is sub-par. He should have stuck to making music videos.

He made this one movie, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, a truly awful film with perhaps the worst lead chemistry in the last dozen years.

54 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Sorkin doesn't write how "normal" people talk, thats not his style. It would be like asking David Mamet to write natural dialogue.

I guess you didnt get it.

Yeah.

His writing just isn't for everyone.

When you see a film scripted by Sorkin, it has this sense of "someone wrote this!" tattooed all over it.

There's something to be said for films that don't feel directed and scripted.

1 minute ago, JoeinAR said:

Well the director is sub-par. He should have stuck to making music videos.

He made this one movie, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, a truly awful film with perhaps the worst lead chemistry in the last dozen years.

Yeah I didn't like that one either.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Alien³ is his best film!

Only on opposite Day. Seriously the most overrated director even moreso than Nolan. 

Se7en is not exalted. Its one of those films you watch before Silence of the Lambs, not afterwards.

2 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Its one of those films you watch before Silence of the Lambs, not afterwards.

True.

In all fairness, though, very, very few films can be compared to The Silence of the Lambs in a favourable way.

Just now, Chen G. said:

True.

In all fairness, though, very, very few films can be compared to The Silence of the Lambs in a favourable way.

It's a redneck white trash version of Lambs for sure. 

3 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Se7en is not exalted. Its one of those films you watch before Silence of the Lambs, not afterwards.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

True.

This!

Beloeve it or not there are people who think Sezen is better than Lambs. 

Interest Star Wars News in the original script for The Empire Strikes Back Luke Skywalker was not Darth Vader's son.

It is a great teaching tool for how a film is made and other darker things!

It's fair to compare them, recognising the limitations of the similarities between them.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Silence Of The Lambs trancends the serial killer genre in a way Se7en never does though.

True. Seven transcends it in a completely different way.

10 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

It is a great teaching tool for how a film is made.

It is and isn't.

I wouldn't advise a junior filmmaker to use the camera the way Demme did. I'd love to know what illegal substance he and Fujimoto were on when they decided they'll shoot the film with people repeatedly staring into the lens in close-up. Not everyone (correction: almost no-one) can pull that sort of thing off.

Like all great films, it was the sort of thing that should have been a trainwreck, but wasn't.

25 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Opinions are like assholes. Occasionally full of crap!

Its interesting, before I watched Se7en, a friend of mine tried to convince me that the violence in that picture is more implied than it is explicit - just like The Silence of the Lambs. And while he's certainly right with regards to gluttany (almost completely obscured in shadow), greed, lust, pride and with regards to Tracey's murder - that's most certainly NOT the case with regards to sloth.

That terrified me to no end!

My ranking of Fincher's films from best to worst

Fight Club

Seven

Zodiac

The Game

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Panic Room

Social Network

Gone Girl

Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I don't think it's fare to rank Alien3 against all the others because he was a hired gun hired late on that one, while for all the others he was in charge from pre-production to the end

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't think it's fair to rank Alien3 against all the others because he was a hired gun hired late on that one, while for all the others he was in charge from pre-production to the end

He is the credited director on it, I don't see what difference it makes. Most directors are hired guns.

LOL.  I'm not going to argue with you Stefan.  If you want to post your rankings of his films and include Alien 3 on it, go for it.