What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yeah, I didn't like it one bit either - can't say I explicitly hated it because thankfully it's the kind of movie that I always forget it exists. I do like video games, even if my passion for them has died down in the last year or three, but that Oasis thing looked completely uninteresting and unappealing. It had no weight or likeability or anything extra - I'm surprised Spielberg directed it himself instead of shoving it off to Michael Bay and maybe producing if he really wanted - I don't see much indication onscreen that it is otherwise. The best it promised from the start was an OK to good Williams score - oh wait a second...

Oh but it's the new Goonies and Stand By Me! It's supposed to be great!

24 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Watched this one on a plane. Enjoyed it for what it was. 

It's been several years since I caught a flight long enough to have inflight movies ... do they still play censored versions, or are you given a choice now?

Before I Wake

Ehhh it tries to be better than the average modern spooky. But it still falls rather flat, although I kind of liked the revelation of what the monster really was in a weird way.

The Year of Living Dangerously

So Linda Hunt won an Oscar for playing a dude - tho progrethive! Sigoogly looks more gorgeous than ever.

1 hour ago, John said:

Funny, I disagree completely. I've missed this type of Spielberg; it's the rollicking, shamelessly sentimental Spielberg I grew up with. The film has issues, no doubt, but it's easily the most exciting, balls-to-the-wall film he's made since The Adventures of Tintin.

Plus it's a lot of fun seeing this 70-something-year-old director dipping into his inner fanboy and paying homage to so many pieces of pop culture.

I admire it for being gutsy, there's no question about that.

It's like my brother put it: "There's clearly a target audience for this film...and we're not in it."

Tintin trumps Ready Player One nonetheless. It is refreshing in a way to see Spielberg honing his inner fanboy though.

Jenette Goldstein played a latino. A white jewess playing a latino chika in Aliens. 

Of course she was acting! The one job where a person can play against type. 

Lets vilify C. Thomas Howell for playing a black in Soul Man, or Robert Downey Jr. for the same in Tropical Thunder. But if We do that we need to do the same to Eddie Murphy for playing a white guy on SNL and Coming to America.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

I do like video games, even if my passion for them has died down in the last year or three, but that Oasis thing looked completely uninteresting and unappealing.

Well, now that you've mentioned passion, I honestly don't see any passion in Spielberg's latest movies either. If you'd ask me, he's making them pure on autopilot. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

You saw no passion in Ready Player One?

Its the sort of film that isn't film everyone.

One whiff of the trailer and I was saying: "nope! not watching that!"

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

You saw no passion in Ready Player One?

Passion in the idea of the film (the premise of classic pop culture references), but I think much of the credit in that regards goes to the author of the book upon which the movie is based and not to Spielberg or those involved exclusively in the film. 

I’ve heard the book is awful. By all accounts it is a miracle that Spielberg and co. managed to make a watchable movie out of such mediocre source material. 

6 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

It's been several years since I caught a flight long enough to have inflight movies ... do they still play censored versions, or are you given a choice now?

I've never seen a censored in flight film in my experience. 

45 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

There was an edited alternate version of Meet Joe Black for airplanes which eliminated an hour of runtime.

Reminds me of the abridged version of AOTC that was exhibited at IMAX at the time.

9 hours ago, Faleel J.M. said:

From what I remember, the Editor's cut is not a recut, just an earlier cut of the film.

The earlier cut has some things that should've been retained in the theatrical cut. People would hate the movie less had the butler scene hit the floor originally. 

1 hour ago, Ghostbusters II said:

There was an edited alternate version of Meet Joe Black for airplanes which eliminated an hour of runtime.

Id rather watch the vastly superior Death Takes A Holiday.

The kid decided to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey (4K HDR), and to my surprise, he liked it. He said that the movie has the craziest visuals he has ever seen. I really thought he was going to struggle with the 'slow' narrative and the 'cold' performances. You know, the usual critique that naysayers ascribe to the movie, but that was never the case. 

9200000089300621.jpg

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I really thought he was going to struggle with the 'slow' narrative and the 'cold' performances.

To call it a narrative is a bit of a stretch.

I mean, it’s not an abstract film by any means, but it’s also not a narrative film in the usual sense of the word.

I almost can’t fathom that it was twenty minutes longer in the premiere.

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I've never seen a censored in flight film in my experience. 

'Airline versions' of movies used to be commonplace, intention was 'we must protect the kiddiewinks!' thing I think. I first became aware of it when I watched Bruce Willis/Matthew Perry Mob comedy The Whole Nine Yards on a flight, and realised that none of the characters (not even the gangsters) were using 'strong language'.  

The Foreigner

Fun and exciting, it has Jackie Chan out for revenge against the IRA for crissakes! But at the same time, the movie feels like it's having an identity crisis, as if they melded two movies together. Oh well, worth a watch. Piece Brosnan's hair isn't what it used to be, but it's fine for an older dude.

4 hours ago, dougie said:

They used to do that on TV where naughty words like "fuck" were edited out or dubbed over. The Blues Brothers was the biggest shocker for me when I got the DVD and found it wasn't quite the movie I knew as a child.

Here in the UK too ... nowadays, common sense mostly prevails and movies are shown on TV at a time considered appropriate for their content and not cut.

Back in the day, though ... man alive. Die Hard used to play on TV with 'melon farmer' being the phrase at the end of 'Yippee-ki-ay!', and that was after 9:00 at night 😲.    

11 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Back in the day, though ... man alive. Die Hard used to play on TV with 'melon farmer' being the phrase at the end of 'Yippee-ki-ay!', and that was after 9:00 at night 😲.    

I remember Beverly Hills Cop on the BBC in the mid 90's!

45 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Here in the UK too ... nowadays, common sense mostly prevails and movies are shown on TV at a time considered appropriate for their content and not cut.

Oh well yeah TV had edits all the time. Scarface is the epitome of that. There’s a whole featurette on the DVD on how they actually made it possible lol. 

“This town is like a chicken... waiting to be plucked.”