What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

4 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

The Spider-Man trilogy was immune to that whole dark gritty realistic shtick. Just a perfect balance of superhero action, whimsy, zany humor and great human drama.

Unfortunately, while this was happening, Christopher Nolan was making his dark and disturbing realistic and relatable Batman movies.

Batman Begins felt the most Batman-y in Nolan's trilogy, the follow-ups were just elevated crime films with Batman characters in it.

7 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Are Nolan's Batmans really realistic and relatable, though? 

They said the difference between DC and Marvel is that the DC movies were more "grounded in realism". 

That's what you and those IMDb members made of it. You've read "grounded in realism" and translated it into "realistic and relatable".

5 hours ago, Matt C said:

Batman Begins felt the most Batman-y in Nolan's trilogy, the follow-ups were just elevated crime films with Batman characters in it.

This is why Begins was the better film for me. I never bothered to see the third instalment for this reason. 

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

They said the difference between DC and Marvel is that the DC movies were more "grounded in realism". 

A 'grittier' approach to Batman I'm fine with, it seems to fit. But with Superman (an almost indestructible alien who can fly, shoot heat rays from his eyes etc) ... not so much. 

Arrival

OK, I got the steelbook quasi-blindly.

Boy, was that a good decision! I was awestruck all the way through. Love it.

17 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

It seems to fit. But with Superman (an almost indestructible alien who can fly, shoot heat rays from his eyes etc) ... not so much. 

The tone of the film has nothing to do with the versimilitude of the subject matter, I’m afraid.

I remember when blu-ray was first talked about back when AotC came out, people read about the capacity and were intrigued at the idea of a disc that could hold all six Star Wars movies in DVD quality. The idea of HD video at home was so far off at the time.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

That's your collection Alex? Nice!

No, it isn't. In fact, I'm asking that the owner of this collection would reveal himself. I want to know if I'm right about this.

2 minutes ago, The Original said:

All those kids movies and... Game of Thrones? With all those dicks, fannies, tits and bumholes?

It probably was a wrong purchase.

Rudy

Football is a brutal sport, but this is one beautiful movie.  Tightly paced and structured, excellent focus on well-rounded characters.  Gorgeous to look at.  Moving.  This is the movie cliches aspire to.  

4/4

Escape From Alcatraz 

Another well oiled movie.  Quite engaging.  Eastwood's performance is the very definition of solid.

3.5/4

The Mighty Quinn

Denzel Washington impresses in this one.  The resolution of the murder mystery was a bit of a letdown for me.  Some nice witty moments, though.  

3/4

On 6/30/2019 at 10:28 AM, Alexcremers said:

KK loved it too but Jay and I were disappointed. The rest of JWFan was too busy rewatching Star Wars.

Your memory fails you

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24637-what-is-the-last-film-you-watched-newer-films/&do=findComment&comment=1302395

1 hour ago, SteveMc said:

Rudy

Football is a brutal sport, but this is one beautiful movie.  Tightly paced and structured, excellent focus on well-rounded characters.  Gorgeous to look at.  Moving.  This is the movie cliches aspire to.  

4/4

The interest I have in [American] Football is zilch, possibly in some part due to the sheer amount of big softie protective armour the players wear (compared to what hard-nosed Rugby players kit themselves in), but like the best of them, Rudy is a wonderfully appealing sports flick because it isn't really about the sport itself but rather the triumph of the human spirit (*cringe*) and the universal language that naturally resonates from such a, in this case, competently made motivational story. It's the honest to god textbook example of 'feelgood cinema'. And there's nowt wrong with that (unless you're a total misery guts).

37 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The interest I have in [American] Football is zilch, possibly in some part due to the sheer amount of big softie protective armour the players where (compared to what hard-nosed Rugby players kit themselves in), but like the best of them, Rudy is a wonderfully appealing sports flick because it isn't really about the sport itself but rather the triumph of the human spirit (*cringe*) and the universal language that naturally resonates from such a, in this case, competently made motivational story. It's the honest to god textbook example of 'feelgood cinema'. And there's nowt wrong with that (unless you're a total misery guts).

You like many other make a completely unfounded assumption when comparing football and rugby.  Football is far more dangerous. Its a much faster game. And its a game of inches. In rugby its not important to stop a player in a short distance. The rules in football make it much more important in stopping a player with no gain or a loss.

Also the average size it dramatically different. My father was an all American High school player who stood 6-3 and weighed 280 pounds in the mid 50's. Today he would simple be an undersized player. No rugvy player is running lose at 4.4  seconds 40yd only to be hit by a safety who running all out at 4.3. 

I'm pretty sure that before all the pads and protections, football players died on the field at a much higher rate than rugby players.

And even today, the long-reaching mental health effects of the game are quite serious.

Speed kills

We watched Toy Story 3 yesterday.  That last 15 minutes is Niagara Falls.

8 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

You like many other make a completely unfounded assumption when comparing football and rugby.  Football is far more dangerous. Its a much faster game. And its a game of inches. In rugby its not important to stop a player in a short distance. The rules in football make it much more important in stopping a player with no gain or a loss.

Also the average size it dramatically different. My father was an all American High school player who stood 6-3 and weighed 280 pounds in the mid 50's. Today he would simple be an undersized player. No rugvy player is running lose at 4.4  seconds 40yd only to be hit by a safety who running all out at 4.3. 

y2GFW3s.jpg

11 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

I'm pretty sure that before all the pads and protections, football players died on the field at a much higher rate than rugby players.

And even today, the long-reaching mental health effects of the game are quite serious.

I'd say these guys are crazy to begin with.