What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Vertigo (*** out of ****)

Well I suppose it is a classic ...

Well, it's more than a classic. Vertigo managed to dethrone Citizen Kane as the best movie of all time after the latter held that spot for 50 years.

(damn, I didn't see Richard's post, it was on the next page)

58 minutes ago, Richard said:

Maybe not, Joe, but it is generally regarded as his greatest film - and, sometimes, the greatest film ever.

Definitely not. He has made many better films.

Too gimmicky. OTOH Citizen Kane is a bore. Having to sit through it in film lecture was torture. I'll take the politically incorrect and racially insensitive Gone With the Wind over those too anyday.

Just saw on AFI's top 100 its was 61 with Psycho, North By Northwest, and Rear Window all ahead of it. I prefer Rebecca over it. I have a big soft spot for Saboteur.

I'm not saying its bad, few Hitch films are, but I have an order of preference. 

30 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Just saw on AFI's top 100 its was 61 with Psycho, North By Northwest, and Rear Window all ahead of it. I prefer Rebecca over it.

Are you sure you have the right list? Vertigo is at #9, and is Hitchcock’s highest rated film. 

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Maybe not, Joe, but it is generally regarded as his greatest film - and, sometimes, the greatest film ever.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Well, it's more than a classic. Vertigo managed to dethrone Citizen Kane as the best movie of all time after the latter held that spot for 50 years.

(damn, I didn't see Richard's post, it was on the next page)

Vertigo is overrated! Its the popular choice for best film.

27 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Vertigo is overrated! Its the popular choice for best film.

IMDb is the popular choice. and last time I checked, The Shawshank Redemption is still the best movie of all time. 

2 hours ago, John said:

Are you sure you have the right list? Vertigo is at #9, and is Hitchcock’s highest rated film. 

I see the updated list. It is an enormous jump, very wrong imho. It isnt as good as Psycho by or NbyNW. I'd rather watch the Birds.

Of course Alex can chastise me for liking North By Northwest over Vertigo because North has explosions as does the Birds. 

Rebecca is a tad long in the teeth but thee are some sequences in it that are pure cinema magic. Though i'd wager you find those in old Michael Curtiz movies, too (even in programmers like 'The Walking Dead'). Those guys knew their craft.

I quite enjoyed that one right up until the very end. I remember the unintentional laughs I had during the big shocker climax took the edge off the whole thing quite a bit.

I'll happily admit that NXNW is my all time favourite Hitchcock film, but so many of his films have either great artistic or great technical merit, or both. There's always something interesting in a Hitchcock film.

6 hours ago, Fabulin said:

Foreign Correspondent is the most entertaining one. North By Northwest and Vertigo follow. Then my film list says Rebecca was supposedly ok---but I have no memory of this film. Psycho and Birds on the other hand... memorable mehs

Take it back 

Saboteur mesmerizes me because it so shocking relevant today and there is a death seen that is so horrible even by todays standards.

Since February a wide range of different kinds of movies, that I write short reviews of (which I am too lazy to translate now, so I just give you the rating).

*****5 stars:

Phantom Thread

Tideland

Toni Erdmann

At Eternity's Gate

Heat

Barry Lyndon

****4 stars:

Dunkirk

Ex Drummer

The VVitch

Hell or High Water

Don't Breathe

Edge of Tomorrow

Funny Games

Baby Driver

The Florida Project

Der Hauptmann

Wind River

Why Are We Creative?

Nosferatu - Phantom der Nacht

Mein liebster Feind

Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes

Hot Fuzz

BlacKkKlansman

Amour

Murder on the Orient Express (1974)

Intolerable Cruelty

Shoplifters

***3 stars:

Gravity

Apocalypto

A Quiet Place

Get Out

I, Tonya

12 Monkeys

Bohemian Rapsody

Before I Fall

The Great Train Robbery

3 Tage in Quiberon

Fierce Creatures

Soylent Green

Shaun of the Dead

Sicario 2: Soldado

Mandy

Angst essen Seele auf

The House Tha Jack Built

Die Ehe der Maria Braun

Serpico

Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Hellboy

**2 stars:

The Thing (1982)

Heaven & Earth

Cruel Intentions

The Cabin in the Woods

Cobra Verde

From Dusk Till Dawn

Black Rain

*1 star:

The Mummy (2017)

The Last Castle

Of course I'm trying to avoid presumably bad movies, which is why there are so many positive and few negative ratings. Major surprises were Tideland and Edge of Tomorrow, the major disappointments were The Thing and 12 Monkeys.

11 hours ago, The Original said:

All he seemed to make was thrillers. Couldn't he make an historical piece, a biopic, or a plain old drama for a change?

Older Spielberg does that and his fans moan about it. At least Hitchcock never grew up.

He never did make his Schindler's List!

58 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

The Thing 1982 deserves more than two stars. 

The VVitch deserves no stars.

Sadly not, since The Thing is all about effects and neglects its dramaturgy criminally, whereas The VVitch is a refreshingly reserved and suspenseful horror film.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

:eek2:

Not enough? It's on the same level as Hell or High Water, only Sicario exceeds both of them in the American-Frontier-Trilogy.

The VVitch is an dreadully unsuspenceful badly paced poorly written film.

I agree with your argument about the effects in the Thing. It does have a feeling of lets do it because we can. Howver the film succeeds on many levels including mood and the helplessness the characters evoke. It is wonderfully acted. I still prefer the 50's version best. 

17 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Not enough? It's on the same level as Hell or High Water, only Sicario exceeds both of them in the American-Frontier-Trilogy.

Hell or High Water had a certain charming 'swung' but this was just a cliché drama. I stopped watching after the sheriff or cop told the family of what happened which was followed by a very long distance shot and a "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!".

Other than that, I agree with many if not most of your ratings (at least of the ones I've seen).

15 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I agree with your argument about the effects in the Thing. It does have a feeling of lets do it because we can. Howver the film succeeds on many levels including mood and the helplessness the characters evoke. It is wonderfully acted. I still prefer the 50's version best. 

What you describe there is what the film wants to be, but that desperate mood of paranoia and claustrophobia is only visible (or audible), when you put Morricone's brilliant soundtrack in your player. The acting is average, the screenplay too committed to the clichés of its time, suspense is almost constantly absent - the genius effects and one goregeous scene don't save the film.

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Hell or High Water had a certain charming 'swung' but this was just a cliché drama. I stopped watching after the sheriff or cop told the family of what happened which was followed by a very long distance shot and a "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!".

Other than that, I agree with many if not most of your ratings (at least of the ones I've seen).

:(Too bad, you don't like it. The outstanding aspect of the movie is the focus on the suffering that turns around the classic thriller-formula. The aftermath of violence is way more important than its preparation or the action itself. This movie made my (regarding movies, very tough) sister leave the room during the end credits, because one of the latter scenes was so unbearable for her. This has never happened before.

The Thing and VVitch aren't pictures I've ever had the inclination to compare, but I think they're both superb films. Only one of them is a classic though.

Hell or Highwater was just another sad decline of Jeff Bridges borefest.

VVitch superb! The only reason I stayed till the end is because David and I are tight with our money. But it does seem to be the kind of film people who like Blair Witch and Hereditary would like, that excludes my husband and me.

Yo wait when did The VVitch suck? It's not my favorite but I thought it had solid mood, some good acting--I really enjoyed the earnest faith portrayed by the father character amongst other things--and it felt like a tale that would've been told in that era. And also....

And what's this about The Thing not being a great film? Poor acting, no sense of mood and suspense? Uhhhh....