What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

2 hours ago, publicist said:

I don't hold the original in such high esteem and found 2049 a completely worthy addition to the sci-fi genre.

Why?

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Denis is very careful to preserve what Ridley did, and to not give an answer either way to Deckard's origins. 

Perhaps a little too faithful?

Whether Deckard is a replicant wasn't what the film was about. It was merely one extra little layer Ridley has put into the movie without anyone knowing. Somehow it became this huge thing. But yeah, Villeneuve has said beforehand that he would keep it unanswered. The funny thing is, the Director's Cut of 1992 already answered it. 

Decker being a Replicant or not is the least interesting thing about the Blade Runner Cinematic Universe©!

Far more interesting, did Joi love K or not?

Also a far more relevant question in the coming future, I suspect.

21 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Too early to tell really. 

It did nothing new and actually build on what we are already (too) very familiar with. For a movie to be able to alter the movie landscape, it has to be more groundbreaking than 2049.  

25 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It did nothing new and actually build on what we are already (too) very familiar with. For a movie to be able to alter the movie landscape, it has to be more groundbreaking than 2049.  

Perhaps.

Or perhaps it did do something new, and people havent caught up on it yet.

18 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Or perhaps it did do something new, and people havent caught up on it yet.

In today's world where everyone is connected? Impossible.

First you are wondering whether Villeneuve didn't respect the original too much and now you are inclined to believe that 2049 will have an enormous influence on future moviemaking? Am I getting this right? 

I think Nolan will have a better chance at that. (and I'm not a Nolan fanboy))

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Didn't his character die in the first film, though?

Holy crap, whoops, I wasn't paying attention to the picture Steef posted! Auto-pilot told me he was referring to Vangelis since it wouldn't make sense for Hauer to return unless there were different models.

On an earlier point, I do agree that it's unfortunate all of the beautiful themes of Blade Runner tend to get sidelined by "Is Deckard a replicant?" Though one could argue that ties into one of the primary themes of the movie and novel.

6 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Holy crap, whoops, I wasn't paying attention to the picture Steef posted! Auto-pilot told me he was referring to Vangelis since it wouldn't make sense for Hauer to return unless there were different models.

The similarity is uncanny!

image.png

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

He would've helped!

Or at least someone who could break through the shell of the movie, dig in, and tap into something more profound than what you just see on the screen.

One of the problems of BR 2049 are the uninteresting and rather ordinary villains. In Blade Runner, even though most have very little screen time, we could sympathise with their quest for life. It almost made Harrison Ford seem like the real villain of the movie. That particular reversible perspective is gone in BR 2049.

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

One of the problems of BR 2049 are the uninteresting and rather ordinary villains.

You know that Jared Leto (:pukeface:) part was originally gonna be played by David Bowie?

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Ever the faithful servant! Thanks Jason.

Yes, he did a man's job. 

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I must seek this out. I', sure it is very interesting and clearly phrased!

Obviously it isn't. I wrote a more favourable one later, probably in response to someone. But the Zimmer engine sound is still tacky.

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

You know that Jared Leto (:pukeface:) part was originally gonna be played by David Bowie?

Would have loved that.

Well, that and better dialogue, otherwise it's no use.

Just now, Alexcremers said:

Would have loved that.

Well, that and better dialogue, otherwise it's no use.

I could be wrong but I thought I remembered reading that at least some of the lines were written around Leto's performance (the director practically had a religious orgasm from watching Leto, it's embarrassing to read), so who knows? 

I didn't _mind_ the more opaque baddies in this movie because of that aforementioned quality, but honestly I couldn't tell you what they were there for other being living (heh) obstacles for the goodies. Did I miss something with them?

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I won't knock this film too much though, because it is at times a seriously impressive effort. And possibly the best follow up to Blade Runner there could have ever been?

I like it a lot. The original film is mesmerising, certainly, and no doubt a significant feat for its time. But I've always found it hard to connect to, and thus not easy to watch the longer it goes on. As such, I find the new one more enjoyable. And I still think it's one of the best looking films out there.

15 minutes ago, The Original said:

"Most"? All of them from Criterion are Region A!

I have a Region B Criterion Dr. Strangelove bluray in my hand right now. So that's one I know about.

It is locked to the US - or at least it's not available here. My external player is region free, the legal software I got with it is not, you can change region 5 times or something. Also, crosscontinental shipping and customs fees.

58 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Are region free players not a thing anymore?

The strict Blu-ray DRM has basically put a stop to them. There are hardware mods, but you always risk losing the region freeness when you do a firmware upgrade.

Even more annoying is that region free DVD players used to be everywhere - if they were not region free right from the start, they probably had some simple remote code to unlock them. But most Blu players aren't unlockable for DVD playback, either.

I read somewhere DVD was standardised with relatively very weak encryption, both on the disc (easily rippable) and in the player's software (region locking), so weak that consistent punishment/enforcement wasn't going to be sustainable, so everyone eventually just gave up trying to keep users from doing what they were always going to do. Bluray is more secure from the start.