What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

A million ways to die in the west.

I thoroughly enjoyed most of it. Seth MacFarlane didn’t disappoint, although it might have been a good idea to watch this one after a Family Guy break. Charlize Theron is fantastic most of the time as well, so I really want to give Monster another chance now and Alex Borstein is always a treat. I also liked how unpredictable the plot sometimes was and the pacing was great, but the whole sequence with the Indians was a really unfortunate misstep and Edward and Ruth became vaguely annoying too. But what really surprised me was how unimpressed I was with Doc Brown’s cameo: he really shouldn’t speak anymore with such an old voice.

Joel McNeely’s score was very good. The quieter, romantic cues could have been a little better and everything sounds quite lifeless and needs reverb, but the happy cues and the action material is excellent. I’d love to see this film get the concert treatment one day, which is probably never going to happen.

Blade Runner 2049

So Han was hiding out at the Korova Milk Bar!

Similar first reaction as to the first one: impressive for sure but probably needs another good watch or two in the future to really "get it" or pin down where I stand on the "meh" to "love" scale now that I know the general shape and idea.

One thing it's surely missing from the original is the musical soul Vangelis gave it! There are times it comes close but only when Zimmer set his synth to imitation mode because this is a sequel. Or they could be tracked, I dunno.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

That's the understatement of the year, Richard.  Maybe it appeals to the average Trekkie?

No interest in seeing it.

Screenshot_2019-08-26-16-44-34.png

Zzzzzzz...

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

That runtime is incorrect

Take a good, hard look at that post, Mr. Steef. Those proportions are correct.

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

That's the understatement of the year, Richard.  Maybe it appeals to the average Trekkie?

Hey! I've done something right, this year :lol:

Jurassic park III.

Mom! Dad! Mom! Dad! Mom! Dad! Is it normal for a movie to open with a studio's website address? Why did Alan change his mind about going to the island in five minutes? Are there any movies in which Téa Leoni does not play an annoying character? Why the Malcom bashing? Why the corny, romantic dialogue? Why on earth would Billy steal raptor eggs? Why do I still feel inclined to say this movie was okay-ish and why do I suddenly love Jeff Goldblum? Eric! Eric! Eric!

I had forgotten nearly everything about the score and the re-discovery was great. It's not just good music, you can really hear the orchestra loved playing every note. I particularly liked the desperate variations on the dinosaur theme, but other renditions were really clumsy.

9 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Did they use a stunt double for her in that? She was fit as fuck!!

She used a dancing double(s). 

Beals was on fire here. One of the iconic sex symbols of the 1980s.

4 hours ago, Matt C said:

Beals was on fire here. One of the iconic sex symbols of the 1980s.

Only to those who drove around in a Golf GTI with spoilers and a 400w amp.

Patriots Day - gripping, well-paced drama about the hunt for the Boston Marathon bombers which despite being released only 3 years after the event manages not to feel cheaply exploitative. With Mark Wahlberg, Kevin Bacon, John Goodman, JK Simmons and Michelle Monaghan.

Vertigo.

Much better than I had expected it to be. James Stewart was great except for one weak moment and I could sort of relate to what his character was going through. Kim Novak only became interesting once she was playing Judy, but from that moment on, her performance was enchanting. Barbara Bel Geddes was rather bland.

This was my first Bernard Herrmann score. Parts of it worked, but the bulk didn’t match the story at all. The volume was way too loud, the brass stingers were stupid and the whole thing was just too overbearing. Why not just creepy underscore with an alluring love theme? And why didn’t they restore The Birds in the same way?

14 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

This was my first Bernard Herrmann score. Parts of it worked, but the bulk didn’t match the story at all. The volume was way too loud, the brass stingers were stupid and the whole thing was just too overbearing. Why not just creepy underscore with an alluring love theme? 

This was the style of a lot of movies during that era, and in Vertigo's case it was undoubtly an aesthetic choice to have the score provide the sense of 'frenzied melodrama' that pervades the film. It's an absolutely brilliant score, perfectly suited to the images and the story. 

Still, I do continue to find your uncustomary responses to a fair few movies quite interesting to read about. On a forum with a few self satisfied contrarians in the mix, it's genuinely fascinating to me to think about how a visually impaired viewer such as yourself might be affected by beloved movies, and that you may say you dislike or reject them for reasons other than to be edgy on the internet. For instance, I wonder about what you made of the 'spiralling nightmare' sequences in Vertigo - that film's most famous scenes, memorable for their combining of restless musical insanity and trippy imagery. 

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

This was the style of a lot of movies during that era, and in Vertigo's case it was undoubtly an aesthetic choice to have the score provide the sense of 'frenzied melodrama' that pervades the film. It's an absolutely brilliant score, perfectly suited to the images and the story. 

Still, I do continue to find your uncustomary responses to a fair few movies quite interesting to read about. On a forum with a few self satisfied contrarians in the mix, it's genuinely fascinating to me to think about how a visually impaired viewer such as yourself might be affected by beloved movies, and that you may say you dislike or reject them for reasons other than to be edgy on the internet. For instance, I wonder about what you made of the 'spiralling nightmare' sequences in Vertigo - that film's most famous scenes, memorable for there combining of restless musical insanity and trippy imagery. 

Oh, I know it was the norm in those days, but it just didn’t work for me. For instance, I remember an early scene where John was just quietly shadowing Madeleine, and the music sounded more like a cue I would expect to hear when a protagonist suddenly came across twenty corpses cut into pieces.

Well, sadly, a lot depends on the quality of the audio-describer and their techniques tend to vary a lot. In this case, the narrator was British, which usually means that they do not describe camera movements, angles or other visual techniques like that. For example, Roger Ebert wrote that, during the final love scene, Hitchcock lets the camera circle the lovers to illustrate John’s desperate feeling of longing. I wasn’t told about that while watching the movie. As for the nightmare sequence, she just said something about ‘an animated sequence’, but that was it.