The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 Reboot film)

Trent B

I don't really care much about the comics, even though apparently this film is insanely more faithful than Raimi's films, I just like good movies.

Webb > Raimi

Garfield > Maguire

Stone > Dunst

Sheen and Field > whoever those guys were

And for the tone they're going for, Horner > Elfman

Faithful is a point of view. It looks like it's faithful to Ultimate Spider-Man.... which kind of sucks.

Cliff Robertson was a great Uncle Ben.

Marc Webb... well, I've only seen one movie of his and let's just say it doesn't bode well (then again, this movie doesn't feature The Human Eyelash). And uneven as he can be, Raimi has made some brilliant films.

Regardless of what anyone says, I enjoyed Raimi's first two Spider-Man movies. The only experience that I had with the character came through the early 90s cartoon series where Peter/Spidey talked to himself all the time, which the movies didn't do too badly a job of showing. And I loved Elfman's pseudo-religious take on the character's theme.

I don't really care much about the comics, even though apparently this film is insanely more faithful than Raimi's films, I just like good movies.

Webb > Raimi

Garfield > Maguire

Stone > Dunst

Faithful is a point of view. It looks like it's faithful to Ultimate Spider-Man.... which kind of sucks.

Cliff Robertson was a great Uncle Ben.

Marc Webb... well, I've only seen one movie of his and let's just say it doesn't bode well (then again, this movie doesn't feature The Human Eyelash). And uneven as he can be, Raimi has made some brilliant films.

Well (500) Days Of Summer is Webb's first feature, and I know for a horror fan like you there's no question that Raimi is better. I also know you despise Zooey but I love her to death :lol:

I saw (500) Days Of Summer when it was still in its independent run, before it became really popular and hipster. It was one of my favorites from 2009.

I still love raimi's movies, all three to be exact; but I hope this reboot is better.

Not because of anything against them, I just always want better quality, not one that dips. Just like the new batman movies after nolan, I want them to be better. So, fingers crossed.

Much better trailer than the last one. I'm liking the look and feel of it; it's almost reminiscent of Nolan's Batman Begins.

Webb > Raimi

Garfield > Maguire

Stone > Dunst

Stone looked like the typical love interest in that trailer. She felt no different than Blake Lively in Green Lantern and Eva Mendes in Ghost Rider at least in the trailer. She was saying lines in the trailer that is typical of love interests in a comic book movie. Didn't feel fresh or unique to me. I was never thrilled about her casting to begin with. Hope I'm wrong about her in the movie. Sheen and Fields are great actors. I'm sure they'll be great in this even with little screen time from Sheen. But I think Cliff Robertson and Rosemary Harris did a great job with what they were given in the other franchise as well. As for Horner I'm not holding my breath. I think Elfman is capable of scoring a Spiderman movie of this scale. I'm not complaining he's not back. But I certainly believe he's just as or more capable of scoring this than Horner . Though I'll give Horner the benefit of the doubt.

I like this trailer a lot more maybe b/c the origin stuff took a backseat. But this movie could easily pass as Spiderman 4 without the origin stuff.

I like this trailer a lot more maybe b/c the origin stuff took a backseat. But this movie could easily pass as Spiderman 4 without the origin stuff.

That's exactly what I thought as well. If I took out the high school scenes, replaced Andrew Garfield with Tobey Maguire, and slapped "Spider-Man 4" at the end, nobody would have known the difference. Which just makes this whole "reboot" thing seem even more silly. It doesn't look like they're doing anything particularly new or interesting with the material. It looks like any other action movie, and certainly no darker or grittier than anything in Raimi's movies.

There are really people who find Spider-Man 3 genuinely good, aren't there?

There are some really good scenes mixed in with some really lame and stupid ones -- so I would rank it mediocre. You can clearly tell Sony had its fingers all over the production -- especially producer Avi Arad. I wouldn't be sore over the reboot if Raimi was allowed to make SM-3 and/or what could've been SM-4 his way. Then let the old cast and crew bow out gracefully... but Hollywood doesn't go by the rules.

But Amazing Spider-Man looks to be okay, not great. There are some things the Raimi movies did better -- especially Spider-Man shooting his webs and soaring among the skyscrapers. Webb's take on it is... not as exciting. The action sequences, what we see now... aren't exciting me. They look like rejected action sequences taken from the Nolan Batman movies and mixed in with Raimi's set-pieces from previous movies.

But Amazing Spider-Man looks to be okay, not great. There are some things the Raimi movies did better -- especially Spider-Man shooting his webs and soaring among the skyscrapers. Webb's take on it is... not as exciting. The action sequences, what we see now... aren't exciting me. They look like rejected action sequences taken from the Nolan Batman movies and mixed in with Raimi's set-pieces from previous movies.

There's one shot of him swinging through the city. You're talking like you've already seen the film.

There's one shot of him swinging through the city. You're talking like you've already seen the film.

I did say "... from what I've seen so far." I'm not judging the whole movie just from that trailer, it's just some of it is reinforcing that deja vu from the first teaser. It could be the best Spider-Man film ever made, I'm not sure.

It could be a entertaining film, but the marketing isn't convincing me either.

This film also looks pretty bad. The only seemingly redeeming feature that I'll looking forward to is Horner's score

I don't get what's so great about the lizard, he's lame.

Give me Kingpin, Misterio or Carnage.

One : Kingpin's with fox. I bet you'll see him in the DareDevil reboot.

Two : Carnage; and every other symbiote...sucks ass. I never want another symbiote on screen ever.

Feels more accurate to the comics. Seems like they want to make Spidey more of the cocky badass he was outside of the original movies. I agree with that.

Denis Leary is great casting.

I don't think Osborn should become Green Goblin until the 2nd, maybe the 3rd film. We'll see what happens with this.

Osbourne isnt even in the film at all....

I don't like how fast Spiderman got rebooted. I wonder if more sagas will get a very quick reboot. What is next....Transformers rebooted! The Matrix Rebooted! James Bond Rebooted again! Iron Man Reboot! Alien Reboot! :pukeface:

If your movie makes as much as Raimi's films did, then of course they're not going to wait. More so since 3 got trashed by anyone with taste.

Bond doesn't count, it's an everlasting franchise that technically gets rebooted with every actor change.

Alien is being rebooted as we speak, and the Wachowski brothers have said they'd like to do another Matrix trilogy and pioneer 3D technology like they did with CGI.

Remakes have been a part of Hollywood since the beginning. I don't understand why people care, it's not like they're forcing you to spend $11 and go see it. That's all you, and you're gonna keep feeding the thing you hate.

Hmmm good point about Bond and wow I didn't know that about the Matrix! I get the money making aspect of remakes and alll that, and I understand wanting to make something "fresh" again for today's movie audiences...I guess I have a soft spot for a saga/ series of films that I can sit down and watch without the story restarting itself at some point.

I shall stop complaining now lol

Don't forget that classic widescreen epics like Ben-Hur and The Ten Commandments, made in the 50s, were remakes of silent films made in the 20s. As technology progresses, Hollywood wants to retell bankable stories in the newer formats. It's simple economics.

Denis Leary is great casting.

Denis Leary is an asshole. He even admits it. :lol:

In the trailer, when Gwen Stacy tells Peter that her fire escape is 20 stories up, what does Peter say in response? I cannot understand his dialogue. Something about not being intimdated?

In the trailer, when Gwen Stacy tells Peter that her fire escape is 20 stories up, what does Peter say in response? I cannot understand his dialogue. Something about not being intimdated?

"Your doorman is intimidating."

Whoops, somehow didn't see Mr. Movies post!

Maybe this will remind them of its absolute awfulness:

I think that's the part of the film when the experience started to become physically painful. It's a pity...I enjoyed the first film, for what it was.

Based on the trailer, I still have little enthusiasm for this reboot. I simply haven't seen anything to make me think it'll be worth watching.

If your movie makes as much as Raimi's films did, then of course they're not going to wait. More so since 3 got trashed by anyone with taste.

Bond doesn't count, it's an everlasting franchise that technically gets rebooted with every actor change.

Alien is being rebooted as we speak, and the Wachowski brothers have said they'd like to do another Matrix trilogy and pioneer 3D technology like they did with CGI.

Remakes have been a part of Hollywood since the beginning. I don't understand why people care, it's not like they're forcing you to spend $11 and go see it. That's all you, and you're gonna keep feeding the thing you hate.

Alien isn't being rebooted.

Alien never made even remotely the amount of money that the Spider-man franchise has.

It was a hit, but not a huge epic hit. Same for Aliens, Alien 3 and Ressurection did rather disappointing box-office.

The AvP films did good, but not stellar business.

Interesting. I always assumed Aliens was a blockbuster because of how awesome it is plus James Cameron.

Alien isn't being rebooted.

Is Prometheus technically part of the same franchise?

Prometheus is a prequel to Alien, they are just swearing up and down in interviews its unrelated to preserve the revelation in the film I suppose.

Prometheus is a prequel to Alien, they are just swearing up and down in interviews its unrelated to preserve the revelation in the film I suppose.

I dunno man, the trailer makes it pretty blatant.

A movie ONLY based on Venom and done PROPERLY, not the half-digested piece of crap Raimi did, would be spectacular.

No, it wouldn't. Please, please tell me why venom is such a good character? Like, what has he ever done?

He's a piss-weak characeter; and Raimi's opinion echo mine 100% :

I had never read Venom in the comic books, since they came after my time. Because of that, I didn't have a natural inclination toward him. And when I read those comics, at [producer] Avi Arad's urging, I didn't understand where Venom's humanity was. I know that kids think he looks cool, and they think he's a good villain for Spider-Man. I actually didn't. What was it about Peter's own makeup that this villain represented some weaker or darker side to? Just looking like a dark version of him is not enough for me. The more I read [Venom stories], the less interested I became.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20037557,00.html

As originally written he's the dark side of Peter and a reminder of what Peter nearly became. There's a sadness and a tragedy to Brock, but he's an allegory for how anger and bitterness can take you over, as said what Peter avoided. He's a good villain for Peter because he knows everything about him, so it means he has to be more creative and resourceful. All of that kind of got lost later on.

As for Raimi, I like the guy but this is the man who retconned Uncle Ben's death so the ending could have some ridiculous "I forgive you" morality shoehorned into it.

As originally written he's the dark side of Peter and a reminder of what Peter nearly became. There's a sadness and a tragedy to Brock, but he's an allegory for how anger and bitterness can take you over, as said what Peter avoided. He's a good villain for Peter because he knows everything about him, so it means he has to be more creative and resourceful. All of that kind of got lost later on.

I don't see it. He hasn't done anything important, peter was never a dick before / after venom; at least to my knowledge (other than using spider-man for money, leading uncle ben to his demise), and he hates spider-man because...he exposed him for writing a fake news story. That's not a tragedy, that's terrible characterization.