Film Score Monthly releases "Not With My Wife You Don't" - the original film tracks

Jay

Not With My Wife, You Don't! Vol. 2—Original Soundtrack (1966)

Music by John Williams

Price: $19.95

Limited #: 3000

Line: Silver Age

CD Release: August 2011

Catalog #: Vol. 14, No. 14

# of Discs: 1

Not With My Wife, You Don't! (1966) was one of a series of sex comedies John Williams scored in the mid '60s (during his "Johnny" period). A delightful screwball comedy starring George C. Scott and Tony Curtis as rivals for the affection of Italian beauty Virna Lisi, the film was produced and directed by Norman Frank (whose previous credits included Danny Kaye's The Court Jester and two Bob Hope "Road" films). Co-author Larry Gelbart brought to the screenplay the same mordant wit he would later display in Tootsie and M*A*S*H, and the unlikely pairing of Scott and Curtis generated surprising comedic chemistry.

As was common with Williams's projects of the period, the score is bursting with catchy tunes. Much of the music is based on two of the three songs he composed for the film with legendary songwriter Johnny Mercer. "Big Beautiful Ball" is a bouncy jazz waltz, and "My Inamorata" is used extensively throughout the score as a love theme. Elsewhere, the music demonstrates the same deft comic touch (encompassing patriotic parody, ethnic strains, and even an operatic spoof) that served the composer so well in Home Alone and countless other films.

FSM reissued the LP re-recording of Not With My Wife, You Don't! in March 2006. The album program offered a unique and delightful listening experience in its own right, but this CD offers the premiere release of the nearly-complete original film tracks, derived from the original ½″ three-track scoring masters.

Numerous film stills decorate the 16-page booklet, surrounding an essay on film and score by FSM's "resident Williams authority," Jeff Eldridge. Not With My Wife, You Don't! overflows with wit and the contemporary sensibility of film-scoring's most celebrated maestro. Even fans with Vol. 1 already in their collection will need to buy this sequel because, like Virna Lisi's character in the film, they will want "two of everything." One can never have too much John Williams.

Not With My Wife, You Don't!, Vol. 2—Original Soundtrack

Music Composed and Conducted by Johnny Williams

Original Songs: Music by Johnny Williams, Lyrics by Johnny Mercer

A Big Beautiful Ball 1:17

Jalousie/The Green-Eyed Monster/Jalousie Again/The Globs/Harry is Perturbed/Tuba Bell/Drum Cadence 3:58

Ferris Wheel March 0:49

General Parker's Arrival 0:33

My Inamorata 2:46

Pajama Talk 1:29

The American Eagle 1:47

Korean Juke Box #1 1:39

Korean Juke Box #2 1:38

Korean Juke Box #3 2:52

Defending the Flag/It'll Take Hours 2:37

Butterflies 1:59

Tank's Charm 2:02

Brandy Snifter/Making Wallets/More Wallets/Still More Wallets 1:52

Two of Everything 3:21

Tank Shinto 0:53

Bowed Heads and Flowers 2:19

Tom's Jealousy 1:15

Discotheque #1 (Not With My Wife, You Don't!) 0:46

Discotheque #2 (Not With My Wife, You Don't!) 0:23

Two of Everything 1:52

Off to Labrador/Eskimo Pie/Row Your Own Boat 3:00

Tank's Beach Party/Two of Everything 3:51

Rosa & Vittorio/Hero's Horns 2:33

Arrivederci Mondo 0:46

Cold Feet 0:43

High Tank 1:56

Tom Goes A.W.O.L. 0:57

Tom's Anger 1:07

Rome Radio 0:35

Exterior Capitol/End Title 1:12

A Big Beautiful Ball (End Credits) 0:27

Total Time: 56:37

Bonus Tracks

A Big Beautiful Ball (instrumental) 1:17

Discotheque #1 (instrumental) 0:46

Discotheque #2 (instrumental) 0:24

Ciao, Baby (alternate End Title) 0:56

A Big Beautiful Ball (alternate) 1:17

Main Title (Big Beautiful Ball) (album version) 2:57

Total Time: 7:50

Total Disc Time: 64:34

http://www.filmscore...il.cfm?cdID=478

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen almost NO discussion of this release anywhere!

Who here has it? Have you listened to it? What do you think?

Due to personal budget cuts I only could only afford 1941. :( Will get both volumes of this score at a later date.

Has anybody on this board listened to it at all?

Yes, Jason, I bought it straight away and have listened to it a few times. I actually like the score a lot more after hearing it in this (almost) complete film version. The previously issued album version, while nice to have, is a totally different listening experience and arguably did not represent the score as well as it could have. It's a shame the original score was presumably not available when FSM released the album recording on CD in 2006, as pairing the two versions would have made a nice 2-CD set.

Funnily enough I much prefer the album version of the same year's Penelope to its complete score presentation - which I feel drags a little sometimes - but the opposite is true for Not With My Wife You Don't! I've only seen the movie once and could barely sit through it, but have enjoyed listening to the music - A Big Beautiful Ball is one of Williams's better songs, a nice jazz waltz similar in tone and structure to Lalo Schifrin's Mannix, I've often thought.

Interesting, thanks for your post Omen II! I haven't listened to the LP version either, so it will be interesting to compare the two listening experiences

I agree with Omen II. While I always prefer Williams prepared presentations as a listening experience, this complete version is a wonderful expansion -- I won't say a revelation, as I've owned a copy of the film in VHS for years, and watched quite a few times, so I know the score pretty well.

I also have to point out that both songs are wonderful -- there's a third one, but "Not with My Wife, You Won't" is quite a forgettable one. "Big Beautiful Ball" and "My Inamorata" are simply amazing. I greatly recommend everyone to give particular attention to the former one, as sung the the one and only Johnny Mercer (which, if memory serves, is only included on the LP program, released on FSM vol 9 nº3). I also recommend looking for Tony Bennett's rendition of "My Inamorata", a really great take on that song, which was only included on a long out of print Johnny Mercer compilation.

Also, the addition of the opening sequence on this new release is something I've always wished it could have made the original LP release, but sadly didn't.

Here is a nice arrangement of A Big, Beautiful Ball sung by Barbara Eden.

Cool, didn't know about this one. If I remember right Carol Burnett dueted with Liza Minelli on "Big Beautiful Ball" on her own "Carol Burnett Show".

• 2 weeks later...

The sound of this release is astonishing.

Most of these scores have good sound for the album masters but the complete scores are somewhat damaged or mono.

this one sounds like recorded in modern times. I dont regret buying this, really.

:)

I'm content with the ol' album release, of course.

I saw the film not too long ago, and it wasn't very good. Then again, neither were most of the intrigue comedies Williams did back then. I can't remember any particular interesting music that was left off (nor did I pay it much attention), and the samples pretty much confirm that.