HOOK Blu ray coming November 1st!!!!

Jay

oh, and some of the reviews:

-Played a bit side by side with the DVD it absolutely blows it out of the water

-I sampled some scenes and I think the transfer looks absolutely beautiful. The softness seems to be inherent to the source material. There is a lot of backlighting in this film and it is was shot with anamorphic lenses which give the image a bit of a hazy look.

To me this looks like another beautiful Spielberg film on Blu-ray

-AQ - great!

PQ - great, too, considering its generally soft look, particularly the London scenes, which I believe is intentional. There's plenty of fine detail on close ups and certain scenes in Neverland stand out in particular. It doesn't appear to have been manipulated, thankfully.

It looks and sounds...right!

and here's the inside case:

hook1.jpg

OMG I can't wait!

I just wish Spielberg would sign off on releasing all the deleted scenes :P

It's frustrating that he has only released delete scenes for Jaws, CE3K, and Indy 1-3.

by the way, this may interest the non-USA members:

the back cover has omitions regarding languages and subtitles.

Other subtitles not listed on the back are Greek, Korean, Thai, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Chinese

Audios not listed on the back - Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Thai\

and it's a Region Free Bluray

and very very cheap I might say from what I see! ;)

Just don't expect anything brilliant, and try not to be annoyed at how obvious it is that the entire Neverland part of the movie was shot indoors on sound stages. Just have fun with it!

OK, I have the DVD, but I don't think I have watched the movie even once in its entirety...

OmG!

Well, i don't know how you'll feel about it now, i have seen many negative critics about this and I don't know why.

I love this film with all its magical atmosphere , perhaps because it's part of my childhood (as i love Spacecamp which is considered a terrible film)

The only thing i don't like about it is Julia Roberts as Tinkerbelle. Or at least her hairstyle! :lick:

by the way, i think the best time for anyone to see this is around Christmas!

It fits perfectly!

by the way, i think the best time for anyone to see this is around Christmas!

It fits perfectly!

Yes, but best help yourself to some heavy eggnogs before watching. Then at least you have an excuse why you feel like throwing up by the end. :lick:

Its a guilty pleasure. I personally love it!

I wouldn't call it a guilty pleasure. It's definitely a flawed movie, but I think it has a lot of redeeming qualities to it. I try to see it with the same kind of perspective I had when I first saw it as a young child, when it very much captured my imagination.

Blah looks like a direct release of the DVD only remastered and in high def. No deleted scenes, trailers, etc.... how disappointing.

Either way I'll probably buy this. I'd gladly ditch the old DVD.

It's frustrating that he has only released delete scenes Indy 1-3.

mmm, what? when?

The documentary on the 2004 Indiana Jones DVD set shows deleted scenes in it. Though they've never been presented independently

• 4 weeks later...

It's frustrating that he has only released delete scenes Indy 1-3.

mmm, what? when?

The documentary on the 2004 Indiana Jones DVD set shows deleted scenes in it. Though they've never been presented independently

damn i dont have those versions. can i see them somewhere?

Watched this last night, utterly fantastic. Picture quality is excellent, although I would have personally preferred a little less grain scrubbing! But colors and details were amazing. The sound greatly benefits from the 5.1 DTS HDMA. The music is brilliantly mixed, and never too soft. It's wonderful to have this movie look and sound this good.

A shame they couldn't get some special features on there, especially considering its 20th anniversary!

Any fan has no need to hesitate.

It is indeed a shame about the lack of special features. Good to hear about the music though - I was going to wait until it went on sale sometime in the future to pick it up, but now I kinda want to get it right away and see about ripping the music and re-doing my edit. I even have a blu ray drive in my computer, that I've never even used!

Watched this last night, utterly fantastic. Picture quality is excellent, although I would have personally preferred a little less grain scrubbing! But colors and details were amazing. The sound greatly benefits from the 5.1 DTS HDMA. The music is brilliantly mixed, and never too soft. It's wonderful to have this movie look and sound this good.

A shame they couldn't get some special features on there, especially considering its 20th anniversary!

Any fan has no need to hesitate.

Is that slight dropout in the end credits still there, about 36 seconds in?

Yes it is. They even use that part on the menu. I noticed one weird error in the sound mix was corrected when Rufio says "you are the Pan". It just seemed to skip or drop out a bit in the older track.

It does indeed look and sound wonderful. The best-looking and sounding scenes are the climactic battles. As close to how I remember it looking in theaters and a massive upgrade from DVD.

I replaced the eco case because the wrapper is sealed to the spine. It really warms my soul seeing it in my BD collection. Now on to E.T., Indy and Jaws...

Someone needs to rip the rear channels from the Blu-Ray version of the film and see if they are a bit cleaner for the rear front channels compared to the DVD.

I can post a link to some tutorials if anybody is interested.

• 6 years later...

Has anyone seen those new deleted scenes from Hook, in the 4K remaster set? Apparently there's only 8 minute's worth despite having 11 scenes. :(

Seems to me that much of that infamous "missing day" deleted from the film remains unreleased.

• 7 months later...

Like barely 8 minutes, apparently just snippets of existing scenes or deleted lines of dialogue. Definitely not the supposed treasure trove of deleted material that could've been included (but presumably Spielberg requested wasn't).

The deleted scenes were weird; They are from some very VERY early cut of the film, before the cut Williams even scored to, so it doesn't help understand anything about the shape of the film at the time of scoring and how the unused music we have might have synced up with anything specifically