Williams and Spielberg to be honored on Turner Classic Movies' AFI Master Class

indy4

• 1 month later...

TCM always does a great job with these things, I think it's gonna be a lot of fun. We've all seen Spielberg and Williams go on about their work individually, but I don't think we've ever gotten to see them together in an interview setting, sharing various influences and their creative process in front of an audience. Should be a real treat.

TCM always does a great job with these things, I think it's gonna be a lot of fun. We've all seen Spielberg and Williams go on about their work individually, but I don't think we've ever gotten to see them together in an interview setting, sharing various influences and their creative process in front of an audience. Should be a real treat.

There are some bits and pieces here and there, but true -- there isn't very much live footage of these two guys together, talking about their work.

Yeah, there's obviously some behind-the-scenes footage of them working, which is nice. I like those clips of them working on ET, and the footage from the Last Crusade sessions on the Indy box set, but it's all so cut up. I don't know if either of them will say anything on this special that they haven't already said a hundred times in various interviews, but it's just gonna be cool seeing them chatting about film scores for an hour.

Yes, seeing the duo chatting together for an hour will be something to remember. From what I remember, it's the first time they do something like that. Let's hope whoever will host the event will come up with some interesting questions among the usual ones.

Yeah it's funny, aside from he occassional behind the scene studio recording, where they're briefly chatting (like the Indian Jones music featurette, or the E.T. featurette) you never see them just sitting together talking candidly about the music or the movies, in an objective atmophere away from the process.

Shame I don't get TCM. Hopefully we'll still have access to it in some way after the fact, whether they offer it streaming online, host it online, or a download or something.

One of the coolest moments I've experienced was seeing them on stage together in New York a few years ago with the orchestra.

When listening to Williams talk about music or just about anything, I always feel so... uneducated :) He really does come across as a genius.

When listening to Williams talk about music or just about anything, I always feel so... uneducated :) He really does come across as a genius.

:yes:

Guys, you can't be openly discussing bootlegging a television broadcast on the forum, come on now....

I wouldn't call it bootlegging to record a broadcast for tv and sharing it for free with a few select fans.

You're quite right! I'm a disgrace!

I just know TCM are useless over here and probably won't screen it. They don't even show movies with the correct screen ratio and you have to turn the volume up to max factor 5 to hear what anybody is saying!

Rant over and above post edited!

That's the exact definition of bootlegging.

I thought that required a transaction of money somehow? It's not illegal to copy broadcasts from tv for your own use. You could argue that it's borderline to share that copy with a few friends, but hardly the biggest crime I've seen. More like helping out fellow fans in need, who don't have access to TCM where they live. My two cents.

I am MORALLY completely OK with fans sharing this show with other fans, of course.

But its OBVIOUSLY an illegal activity to UPLOAD A SHOW THAT AIRED ON CABLE TO THE INTERNET. DUH!

I'm sure every Williams fan will be able to see this show. They simply can not use this forum to discuss how to break law. Is that a problem?

I am MORALLY completely OK with fans sharing this show with other fans, of course.

But its OBVIOUSLY an illegal activity to UPLOAD A SHOW THAT AIRED ON CABLE TO THE INTERNET. DUH!

I'm sure every Williams fan will be able to see this show. They simply can not use this forum to discuss how to break law. Is that a problem?

I agree with the 'upload to youtube' issue. Not that I am morally disgraced by that either, but I know what you mean. Besides, I'm fairly confident TCM would have it removed if someone uploaded the whole thing to youtube.

I just know TCM are useless over here and probably won't screen it. They don't even show movies with the correct screen ratio and you have to turn the volume up to max factor 5 to hear what anybody is saying!

TCM here does not know about 16:9 anamorphic broadcasting, HD video or even stereo sound.

Going to have to check this out. Definitely recording it. This is a rare event. Wow an hour to cover 4 decades and 25 films. See how they'll pull that off.

Come to think of it, what other director/composer collaborations in the history of cinema have lasted this long?

Well I can't wait to hear the E.T. finale anecdote again, and Williams comment for Schindler's about it needing a better composer then him....

Way to steal Esther's joke

TCM here does not know about 16:9 anamorphic broadcasting, HD video or even stereo sound.

Tell me about it! For being such a supposed major channel for film lovers, they're useless at presentation!

Burton and Elfman have been making movies together since 1985. Spielberg and Williams have been making movies since 1974.

I think Spielberg's trust and loyalty is great. Williams has had the opportunity to try his hand at many different types of scores, and we've been the gracious beneficiaries.

Many directors won't give artists the chance at something new.

Burton and Elfman have been making movies together since 1985. Speilberg and Williams have been making movies since 1974.

They're still over 25 years, so give them another 9 and voila. In the end, Elfman will come out on top, his career started with Burton. Williams' didn't start with Spielberg.