Williams and Spielberg to be honored on Turner Classic Movies' AFI Master Class

indy4

Yeah, we already knew Spielberg loves the trek music from TOD. That and meeting his wife seem to be his favorite things about it. Nice to hear him at least speaking positively about TOD. Maybe next he'll admit he was wrong--TOD is a big guilty pleasure.

• 1 year later...

Turner Classic Movies yesterday aired a new episode of its "Master Class" episodes, featuring John Williams and Steven Spielberg talking about their collaboration over the years.

There's not much new material divulged in the episode, at least not much new material for this longtime John Williams fan. For instance, Spielberg talks about what he told JW after JW saw "Schindler's List" for the first time. When Williams says Spielberg needs a better composer for "Schindler's List," Spielberg says, "Yes, but they're all dead."

And we all know how much Williams adores Bernard Herrmman's music. The one thing that really stood out to me that I never knew was that Spielberg met Herrmann the day he died, during the last scoring session for "Taxi Driver."

The clips of the movies they show are nice, especially the first bike scene in "ET." Got a little choked up watching the scene, as I always do.

From what I gathered, the episode was filmed before Williams started scoring "Lincoln." On the upside, it's always nice to hear the two talking about their years together and hear them talking about their love of being in the business.

After the episode, they showed "Amistad," one of their unsung collaborations. The movie itself was a great example of how John Williams makes his movies better. The movie was just OK, but the music really put more emotion into the characters and drove the film forward in some points. It's a lot of talking, but not as interesting as the dialogue and scenes in "Lincoln," though "Amistad" tries very hard.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

For anyone who never saw this, it's up on YouTube at least for the time being. Check it out while you can!

Watched it last night. Really interesting, highly recommended.