Celebrity Praise for John Williams

indy4

Apologies in advance if this has already been posted in amongst the plethora of The Force Awakens threads. Here Harrison Ford speaks to Classic FM's Andrew Collins in praise of John Williams.

https://audioboom.com/boos/3969952-harrison-ford-on-hearing-john-williams-s-music-for-the-first-time

It's true. Most of it.

I caught some of that Star Wars special on my way home from work, it was good. Apart from the part where Collins accidentally played the wrong Binary Sunset ;)

Well worth listening to for those who can access the content.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nothing really a celebrity, nor a huge shout-out but...

Brad Alexander, one of the VFX supervisors on The Force Awakens, said this from the below article in reference to completing the shot of the Falcon for the film's first teaser:

For me, it was gratifying to see the Millennium Falcon do a max climb in the tone of Star Wars in the first teaser trailer with the massive John Williams Star Wars theme playing.

http://www.awn.com/vfxworld/halon-tackles-previs-and-postvis-star-wars-force-awakens

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading this wonderful book containing interviews with DePalma and there are two mentions of Williams, the first being that he absolutely adored what he did for The Fury and he always wanted to work with him again but the schedules never alligned. And also, he says that he tracked a pivotal scene from Casualties of War with the main theme from Empire of the Sun, saying how beautiful he thought that particular theme was.

51o8PxJgPWL._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Fantastic reading so far.

• 2 months later...

Composer Brian Tyler talks to Classic FM about how he was inspired by John Williams's music for Star Wars and would like to go for a drink with him and Bernard Herrmann (wouldn't we all?).

http://www.classicfm.com/composers/tyler/news/brian-tyler-interview/#2jBSdvrOhyiXhocc.97

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Stumbled on this photo, for the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul fans. Not a quote but some tacit endorsement anyway!

21.jpg

John Williams/Vince Gilligan colloboration confirmed???

• 2 months later...

Maybe a pretty generic comment, but Wes Anderson called Williams a great composer a few months ago, I think it is the first time I have ever heard Anderson comment on Williams:

"Alexandre has that in common with great composers like John Williams that he is able to write a music of film that can be whistled, a music that finally lives independently of the film. He enjoys composing, but he also has that innate sense of orchestration. He began as a jazz musician and this is reflected in his compositions."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/10/07/star-wars-mark-hamill-john-williams-praise-george-lucas/

Mark Hamill praise for John Williams, calling him second to none but George Lucas when it comes to shaping the Star Wars franchise. 

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Randy Newman in new Variety Article:

His own taste in scores remains fairly catholic. “Guys who are good at this field, they’re all old, I think,” Newman says. “I’m sure there’s young guys. The guy who did ‘Death of Stalin’ (Christopher Willis), for instance, is really good. But basically Johnny Williams is still the best guy, for almost anything. Johnny Williams is the best guy that I would hire if I had a movie. I might hire myself, depending on the movie, but I would hire him (first) — he’s still the best guy. And Alan Silvestri, I just saw, he did one of those “Avenger” pictures, and it’s a little better than they’ve ever been, musically, because he did it. And my cousin Tom is very good. Very different from me, but really good. And tremendously good under dialogue.”

On 2/17/2016 at 4:36 PM, nightscape94 said:

Actually would have loved to hear what Williams would have done with something like The Untouchables.

Me too, but I wouldn't want to be without Morricone's score for this one. One of his top five scores in my book!

On 11/8/2019 at 9:22 AM, Stefancos said:

The guitarist though.

Wasn't it the actor?

• 7 months later...

Cool !

I knew that JW's music made Superman and E.T. fly, and made the shark from Jaws scary, and brought magic to Harry Potter's world, but this one about bringing Indiana Jones to life is new to me ! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I have been reading The British Bloke Decoded by stand-up comedian Geoff Norcott.  It is very funny, although you might need to be British and, er, a bloke to fully appreciate the references and humour.  He deals with such important subjects as our favourite motorway service stations, football and, of course, why British blokes want medals for performing basic tasks.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to read two positive references to John Williams in successive chapters.  In a chapter entitled 'Hero Daydreams' (come on, we all have them) he writes:

"I remember watching the first Superman film: the costume, that theme tune, the modest way he'd never take any credit, the fact that even the bad girls love him too."

His Williams fandom is then confirmed just a few pages later in the next chapter about the ending of Return of the Jedi when Darth Vader "decides he's had enough and lobs the emperor into a giant recycling bin."

"When I first saw the film, that particular scene made my whole body come out in goosebumps.  Not just the moment of Anakin Skywalker's (Vader's original name) redemption but the swell of John Williams's incredible score (before George Lucas butchered it by adding in Vader shouting 'Nooooo', like a punter who'd lost money on the favourite at Cheltenham)."

Here he is, for the uninitiated: