Celebrity Praise for John Williams

indy4

Joe Kramer's story in being hired for Jack Reacher revealed Tom Cruise's love for Williams.

Oh that sounds interesting! What happened?

McQuarrie (the director) sent Cruise his 8-minute demo suite and Cruise immediately called him and said something to the effect of, "Who is this guy? Where did you find him? I haven't heard a score like this since John Williams did Born On The Fourth Of July."

Cruise in general seems to understand the importance of music. Perhaps it's his dual role as producer, but he tends to show up at the scoring sessions, and he even conducted a piece on M:i:III.

Conducting 8m5 - Mission Impossible theme:

img_0113.jpg

Source: http://www.scoringsessions.com/sessions/17310/

I don't think moviegoers care about Cruise conducting at the scoring sessions.

You didn't think moviegoers would care about Avatar, so yeah.... ;)

• 3 months later...

Came across this video interview with Paul Thomas Anderson. Somebody asked him about working with Jonny Greenwood and he spoke about the influence of the Spielberg/Williams collaboration on the use of music in his films (jump to 49:13 in the video):

When I grew up, I was watching Steven Spielberg's movies with John Williams. I was like, fuck, that's how you do it! Music and what the movie is, they bash together. Not that I'm comparing us at all, but that's what influenced me. That's how it should be. These two things smash together and you're supposed to grab and smash an audience with that stuff. That was my influence, I thought that's how you're supposed to do it.

• 1 year later...

Fluffy?

Johnny's music is cuddly and fluffy with sugar coating. Didn't you know that? Also warm, obvious, hummable and nothing like modern audiences need. They want to be inspired by the combination of industrial machinery and kitchen appliances mixed in with a rough sounds of electronically manipulated violins and a rock band. That says "hello were are contemporary and speak to contemporary aesthetics. We are not fluffy. We offer no warmth, we are not obvious".

Fluffy?

Well, it doesn't get fluffier than that:

Angela Morley is so proud of giving John Williams his trademark fluffiness.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

During the episode, some ominous extradiegetic music plays at certain times and this particular woman seems to be aware of it, and even now and then she's like "what the hell?" getting more and more mad by it as the episode progresses. By the end, she can't take it anymore and screams that particular line.

Or something like that.

Zimmer talks about Williams all the time. He said a bunch of stuff when he was first rumored to score Man Of Steel.

He called Close Encounters the greatest tone poem ever written.

Joe Kramer's story in being hired for Jack Reacher revealed Tom Cruise's love for Williams.

The 2002 Oscars with JW conducting as MD features Tom Cruise grinning and acknowledging gushingly at John Williams near the start. Can't find a YouTube link.

Zimmer talks about Williams all the time. He said a bunch of stuff when he was first rumored to score Man Of Steel.

He called Close Encounters the greatest tone poem ever written.

The 2002 Oscars with JW conducting as MD features Tom Cruise grinning and acknowledging gushingly at John Williams near the start. Can't find a YouTube link.

That's just because he's trying to recruit JW into scientology.

During the episode, some ominous extradiegetic music plays at certain times and this particular woman seems to be aware of it, and even now and then she's like "what the hell?" getting more and more mad by it as the episode progresses. By the end, she can't take it anymore and screams that particular line.

Or something like that.

Would have been more funny if I had actually heard her say "Williams" (it cuts off at "John..."), I had heard the background music and I knew what this animated series actually was called or was all about!

• 2 weeks later...

Was watching a gameplay of the new King's Quest game and look who gets thanked in the credits

KTUUQzO.png

It's probably another Johnny though, but I thought it would be amusing if it was ours :lol:

Anne-Sophie Mutter called Williams one of the finest living composers, either for film or concert hall. You can hear her saying it on the bonus interview of the Club Album blu-ray.

Just out of curiosity, when she plays the theme from Schindler's List, a lady in the audience is seen crying...

• 3 weeks later...