Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan

Mr. Breathmask

I stumbled upon these two scores at the CD-shop this afternoon, and I'm wondering whether they're worth the try. You see, I'm more into the big, brassy scores like Jurassic Park and the Star Wars trilogy, but perhaps it would be nice to take a break from that. But I also do not want to limit my collection to just Williams. I want stuff from other too. So, I would like some advice on these two scores. If you would, your kindness would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont have the Private Ryan score...

But yes yes and a 1000 times yes for Schindlers list. It a wonderful score.

And i for one was very pleased he changed his style and experimented.

A reviewer once said that John Williams has a habit of bashing his audience

over the head with his music. In some cases i agree with that very much.

Sometimes in Phantom Menace it felt like LOUD FILM SCORE - LISTEN NOW!!!! :cry2:

But in Schindlers list, the score was a beautiful "compliment" to the film. :)

I never listen to Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan.

They are both excellent, but make me too sad... :cry:

SPR is not a very good score, not one of the 90's best for John. But some of that is by design. Steven wanted a very restrained score, and John gave him exactly that.

Schindlers List is one of the best of the 90's for John, its quality is nearly as good as Home Alone, Jurassic Park, Lost World and TPM. SL is the 90's equivalent of Classical Music.

Hymn to the Fallen on Saving Private Ryan is worth the price alone, methinks. Especially if you found it used! The rest of the SPR score is very, very subdued, as Joe said, by design.

Schindler's List is just a beautiful score all around. The main theme is Williams' best work in the 90's along with the Jurassic Park themes (IMHO). Makes my heart ache every time I hear it.

Actually, instead of Schinder's List, I'd go for John Corigliano's The Red Violin, a far more interesting listen in terms of violin solos.

Saving Private Ryan, provided you like elegaic Americana, is one the most moving scores Williams has ever produced. Highly recommended.

I enjoy both of them, and therefore recommend both. They both are very moving and very somber, and they are a wonderful asset to any collection.

~Harry

I enjoy both of them, and therefore recommend both.  They both are very moving and very sober, and they are a wonderful asset to any collection.

~Harry

Well, I agree that they're sobering, but...

Thanks for pointing that out. I fixed it.

I also wanted to add that I am a big fan of the brassy Williams soundtracks, and I love the sentimentalism found in these two.

~Harry

SPR is not a very good score

Blasphemy! (ps, I respect your opinion)

SPR is one of my top ten scores of all time. I think the whole thing is very moving. Every single track is great. You just have to have be open to it. I suggest watching the movie first if you haven't already.

Schindler's List is one of the essential John Williams scores. It's profound, moving, emotional and a modern classic. It has at least three wonderful themes, with the main theme being the most impressive - a highly complex, hanutingly beautiful melody.

It is without a shadow of a doubt the most underrated score among John Williams fans. Really. It's as good as Star Wars, as powerful as E.T. or Superman, as haunting as Jaws... Still; it hardly gets the praise it deserves.

Trust me; Schindler's List won't dissapoint you. It's one of the greatest film scores in cinema history, next to Ben Hur, Lawrence Of Arabia, The Godfather and Star Wars.

Saving Private Ryan is another gem, although not nearly as "accesible" as Schindler's List. It has an immensly powerful opening cue, Hymn To The Fallen, which easily ranks among Williams' greatest pieces, but the actual underscore is less impressive. In the film, it works like magic, but on album, it's less interesting. Still a great, great score.

In short; both scores present some of Williams' best music from the last ten years. You can't go wrong with these.

Bye,

Roald

P.S. Try Born On The Fourth of July too! It's another highly underrated score here, but it's really one of Williams' very best. A beautiful, deeply emotional score.

Both are very good in the film (SPR doesn't work for me on the CD, it's TOO restrained IMO), but not in the Jurassic Park & Star Wars "bombast" molds that you (and I) love more.

Schindler's List is an incredible score!!!! Get it immediatley, as for SPR... I can't comment on it as I have only heard the main hymn from it which is beautiful. However someone else needs to talk about the whole score.

Trust me; Schindler's List won't dissapoint you. It's one of the greatest film scores in cinema history, next to Ben Hur, Lawrence Of Arabia, The Godfather and Star Wars.

Speaking of The Godfather, they also had a The Godfather Trilogy 25th Anniversary compilation. Is that any good? I've only seen The Godfather and not the other two parts, and I forgot to pay that much attention to the music, so...