The Legend Of Zelda - 25th Anniversary Symphony / Symphony Of The Goddesses /  Second Quest / Master Quest / 30th Anniversary Symphony

BloodBoal

My friend, Oath to order on cello (from the ocarina theme suite that was played in the 2011 concert) is fantastic megagoosebumpyness.

• 1 year later...

Chad Seiter has part of the symphony on soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/chadseiter/sets/symphony-of-the-goddesses

Overture (Unreleased)

Wind Waker Movement

Twilight Princess Movement

25th Anniversary Medley

Gerudo Valley

Ballad of the Wind Fish (Unreleased)

and Dungeons (Unreleased)

They do seem to be live recordings though...

Yes, they are (it's pretty obvious in Dungeons, since you hear people laughing, and also in Overture where you can hear people clapping at the very end), but the quality is way better than any fan recording.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses concert series returns in 2015

After the symphony tour ended last year (it was last year, if I remember correctly) I thought that any hope for a CD release was gone. Now that it's back, I'm being hopeful again (even though I know it's still very unlikely).

Here's the schedule, by the way: http://zelda-symphony.com/schedule

• 2 months later...

Symphony of the Goddesses Master Quest "tracklist" revealed:

Part one

01) The Legend of Zelda: Symphony Overture
02) Gerudo Valley (Ocarina of Time)
03) Boss Battle song medley
04) Majora’s Mask medley
05) Hyrule Castle & Lorule Castle (A Link Between Worlds)
06) Prelude: “The Creation of Hyrule”
07) First movement: “Ocarina of Time”
08) Second movement: “Wind Waker”

Part two

09) Interlude – Intermezzo: “Great Fairy theme”
10) Ocarina melodies from Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask
11) Third movement: “Twilight Princess”
12) Fourth movement: “A Link to the Past Finale”

Encore

13) Ballad of the Goddess and Fi’s Theme (Skyward Sword)
14) Dragon Roost Island (Wind Waker)
15) Majora’s Mask Medley II

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/2015/02/11/zelda-symphony-of-the-goddesses-song-list-has-been-revealed/

I had the privilege of going to the first showing of the concert in Nashville a few weeks ago. Great time and great music.

• 2 weeks later...

I kept hoping he was going to announce a CD release...

I still don't understand why Nintendo won't let people release music from their games. It's freaking stupid! Surely, it's not because they think it won't sell well (they surely know the Zelda Symphony concerts are big hits). So why, god, why? It's a damn shame.

The Majora's Mask medley sounds awesome. Really like the short bit of Deku Palace we get to hear in the video.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
34 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Quoting this for posterity.

I believe Stefan was talking about Zelda Rubinstein of the Poltergeist fame!

zelda-rubenstein.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

http://blipico.com/jason-michael-paul-interview-2015/#setlist-dvd-piano-song-book

Jason: Probably around June during E3 in the States. That’s what I’m shooting for. But we have a lot of big announcements. I have a lot of projects that are coming out. I have a DVD that we’re gonna be releasing from a live show that we’re recording.

Nikolas: From a Zelda show?

Jason: Yeah.

Better than nothing I guess! That's probably the closest thing to a CD release we'll ever get,

At least the audio quality from the DVD will be  (well, "should be") much better than all those fan bootlegs! Now let's hope that the audience at the concert they recorded was quiet most of the time!

Thanks, Fal. I knew you'd bring us good news, eventually!

As Japan is the promised land of such music releases why haven't anyone there recorded full symphonic versions of any of these scores or something along the lines of those Hisaishi image albums with extended 45 minute concert suites for a single score like Princess Mononoke?

Because it's Nintendo we're talking about, and for some reason, they're not interested in releasing orchestral recordings by someone else of music from their games (and they don't consider themselves a recording company, so they don't even record and release it themselves!).

That's why we got a lot of Final Fantasy orchestral recordings CDs and other franchises not owned by Nintendo, but nothing when it come to Zelda (apart from that one 25th Anniversary CD that was sold with Skyward Sword. We really got lucky with that one!), etc.

A good example of that is the Symphonic series of concerts. You got things like Symphonic Fantasies (concert with music from video games by Square-Enix) which got a CD release, Symphonic Odysseys (concert with music by composer Nobuo Uematsu who worked on various video games) which got a CD release, Final Symphony (concert with music from Final Fantasy which got a Blu-Ray release) and then you have Symphonic Legends (concerts with music from Nintendo video games) which got no release whatsoever.

It's all the Big N's fault.

Obviously Big N is capricious and foolish to overlook such opportunity to make some cash and their fans happy.

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Now let's hope that the audience at the concert they recorded was quiet most of the time!

Well if its anything like the audience in the excellent videos I linked to above (which might even be the footage that will be on this DVD) then they will only clap in between pieces.

On a sadder note:

Nikolas: Are there any Zelda games you haven’t performed music from?

Jason: Yeah, there’re some titles, like Hyrule Warriors, which is not Nintendo first-party. So those aren’t titles that we feature.

Nikolas: What about Minish Cap?

Jason: I don’t think it is. Because Minish Cap, I believe, is a third-party game. So there’s the issue of licensing that and Nintendo hasn’t included it. I like Minish Cap, though. It’s kind of similar to Hyrule Warriors in the sense that it was a joint venture. Those, I believe, are the only two games that they actually brought on to a third-party developer. [Oracle of Ages/Seasons was also third-party.]

That doesn't make any sense.  No matter if the developer was internal or external to Nintendo, Nintendo would surely own all assets associated with the game outright.  That doesn't pass the smell test for me.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Don't remember the music from The Minish Cap by the way. Was it any good?

Very good, maybe not the best, but has some nice gems (the sound quality is a bit lacking due to it's handheldness):

I just replayed through Minish Cap on the Wii U Virtual Console this past Winter and really enjoyed the game.  The music isn't the most impressive, especially compared to other top-down Zeldas, but I agree that it's really nice at times.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Why would he lie?

I wouldn't think he was lying, just that he was misunderstanding some details.  But yeah you're probably right, Capcom's a big enough company that they'd demand some special rights set-up that a smaller developer wouldn't be able to get out of Nintendo.

• 4 months later...

Nah. Looks like a dull "best-of"' compilation of tracks taken directly from the games and slapped on two CDs.

The CD title doesn't even include the word "Symphony". It's just "The Legend of Zelda 30th Anniversary Music Collection", which to me highly suggests it will just be MIDI cues taken from the games and not orchestral recordings of cues from the games (the fact that it's a 2-CD set strenghtens that belief. They'd NEVER release a 2-CD set of orchestral recordings. It'd be too good to be true.).

Would love to be wrong, but I doubt it, unfortunately.

• 4 months later...

Wow, wow, wow...

OK, so: First look at The Legend of Zelda anniversary concert album luxury box

81fK8mDKCYL._SL1500_-768x512.jpg

A few things:

- the article above only mentions one CD, but in fact there are two (both the Amazon and CDJapan listings confirm that). So that's 2 CDs of music + 1 DVD of the concert performance. Pretty damn cool.

- For people interested in the music but not the DVD, there's actually a version of the set without it, just the 2 CDs. See here and here.

- About the concert: I've already heard about it, but I'm not sure what's it all about. By that, I mean: was it made by the same team that made the 25th Anniversary Symphony concert (and the following editions)? Did Chad Seiter do the arrangements, or someone else? What were the pieces performed? I've found no video of the concert on Youtube to find answers to these questions. However, the Wiki page of the concert gives us the program, and going by the title of some pieces, it seems to include some that were performed during the Symphony Of The Goddesses concerts, which suggests the same team worked on this new concert (or at least, the 30th Anniversary concert team used the same arrangements).

- About the pieces included on the CD: this Wiki page seems to suggest ALL the pieces performed during the concert will be included (though no source is given).

- And finally, one last question: was it a studio recording or was it recorded during one of the performances? Couldn't find a definitive answer to this, but the Wiki page of the concert seems to suggest it's a live performance recording (the one that took place on October 16. But again, no source given), which is a wee bit of a shame (though since the concert took place in Japan, there's a good chance the audience was quiet during each piece and only applauded at the end of it).

In any case, this is awesome. Ordered!