The Legend Of Zelda - 25th Anniversary Symphony / Symphony Of The Goddesses /  Second Quest / Master Quest / 30th Anniversary Symphony

BloodBoal

There is an amazon US listing, but it says "(import)" soooo....

Also: GilvaSunner has uploaded this to YouTube if you want a preview while waiting to receive your copy.

Yea, its cheaper to order from Amazon JP anyway, and I was thinking of pulling the trigger on an used copy of the Front Mission Gun Hazard OST... damn!

Anyone buy the version with the DVD?

Yep, I did, though I didn't have the time to watch it yet.

The uploaded stuff on Youtube Fal mentioned seems to be the videos that are found on the DVD (on a sidenote: the Ocarina Melody Suite is not presented in complete form on the uploaded video: the upload only features the last one, Saria's Song).

1 hour ago, Jay said:

So is there going to buy a US release of this or should I just import the JP release?

No word on that yet, though I think it'll probably depend on how well the Japanese release will sell.

Updated the original post to add the new pieces that were presented during the 30th Anniversary concert, change the links to the videos with the new higher quality ones now available and also to fix a few mistakes in that post.

The symphony repertoire is now comprised of 36 different pieces, only 17 of which are available in CD quality (on the 25th Anniversary and 30th Anniversary releases). Here they are:

01. The Legend Of Zelda Main Theme Medley */**

02. Kakariko Village - Calm And Hope *

03. Hyrule Castle Theme **

04. Princess Zelda's Theme **

05. Boss Battle Medley **

06. Hyrule Field (Longer Arrangement) **

07. Gerudo Valley */**

08. Great Fairy's Fountain */**

09. Ballad Of The Goddess *

10. The Legend Of Zelda 25th Anniversary Medley *

11. The Legend Of Zelda: Selected Shorts Suite **

12. Ocarina Melody Suite **

13. The Wind Waker Symphonic Movement */**

14. Twilight Princess Symphonic Movement */**

15. Skyward Sword Staff Roll **

16. A Link Between Worlds & Tri Force Heroes Medley **

17. The Legend Of Zelda 30th Anniversary Medley **

* Studio Recording

** Live Performance Recording

So that leaves us with 19 pieces still unreleased (8 of which are only available via poor-quality fan recordings. The remaining 11 are available clean and in pretty good quality thanks to official videos of the concerts posted on Youtube. Check the main post for links to those videos):

01. Overture ***

02. Ganondorf's Theme

03. Hyrule Field (Short Arrangement)

04. Grandma's Theme

05. Songs Of The Hero

06. Dungeons Of Hyrule ***

07. Prelude - The Creation Of Hyrule ***

08. Ocarina Of Time Symphonic Movement ***

09. Intermezzo - Great Fairy's Fountain (Alternate Arrangement) ***

10. A Link To The Past Symphonic Movement & Finale ***

11. Majora's Mask Medley ***

12. Ballad Of The Windfish

13. Link's Awakening Medley

14. Spirit Tracks Medley

15. Dragon Roost Island ***

16. Skyward Sword Medley ***

17. Hyrule Castle & Lorule Castle ***

18. Majora's Mask Medley #2 ***

19. Intermezzo - Temple Of Time

*** Available clean via official videos uploaded on Youtube

@Jay: finally watched the DVD. As I suspected, the material found on it is what was uploaded on Youtube (just check the links in the main post to watch the videos): basically it's the montage shown during the performance of each piece, with the clips corresponding to the cue being played (for example, when you have the Gerudo Valley cue being performed, there's footage from Ocarina Of Time showing Link in this location, when you have the Molgera battle theme from The Wind Waker playing, there's footage of Link fighting this boss, etc.). It's under 70 minutes long, not in HD (obviously) and frankly, it's not essential (oddly enough, they removed the clapping at the end of each piece on the DVD, thus giving each one a clean ending. I wonder why they didn't do that on the CDs too).

You'll be fine just getting the 2-CD set. No need to wait for a US release to be able to play the DVD.

More new pieces have been added to the 2017 edition of the symphony. Here's the program as shown on the official website:

n1pFspq.png

So we have:

- A new version of the Overture (apparently)

- A piece featuring music from Breath Of The Wild

- A piece featuring music from A Link Between Worlds (I assume it's not the medley found on the recent CD release, because there's no mention of Triforce Heroes, which is part of said medley). (See EDIT 3)

- A symphonic movement for Skyward Sword (the symphony now having five parts. Maybe it'll have 6 in the next edition? ;)).

- A new intermezzo: Temple Of Time (See EDIT 3)

No recordings of these pieces are available, since there hasn't been a performance of this new edition yet (the first one will be on March 17).

OK, now there's more than enough material for a 3-CD set! Come on, Nintendo! You can do it! Record it and release it!

EDIT: Just found the Temple Of Time piece on Youtube (in a video dated from September 2016), so I suppose it was already included in a previous edition of the symphony (the 30th Anniversary one, apparently). Adding it to the main post.

EDIT 2: OK, also found this website, and it makes things a bit blurrier. Some pieces seem to be listed with two different titles (Skyward Sword Suite and Ballad Of The Goddess and Fi's Theme for example, or Majora's Mask Suite and Majora's Mask Medley), it lists six movements, one of them being for Majora's Mask (which I think could actually be one of the two medleys played as an encore, because I simply can't find a video of that particular movement) and one for Skyward Sword (which I suspect isn't a symphonic movement, but just the medley featuring the Ballad Of The Goddess and Fi's Theme), and it lists a suite for A Link Between Worlds and one for Triforce Heroes, so two separate pieces (while those two games are part of a single medley in the 30th Anniversary CD release)... That being said, I believe the Skyward Sword movement listed on the new symphony program on the official website will be in fact a new piece (10+ minutes long, like the other symphonic movements).

EDIT 3: And now found this video, which helps make sense out of that mess a bit. The Triforce Heroes medley is indeed a separate piece: it features roughly the same music as the one found on the A Link Between Worlds and Triforce Heroes Medley included on the CD release, but the cues are presented in a different order, and are arranged/orchestrated slightly differently too. The A Link Between Worlds piece is actually the Hyrule Castle & Lorule Castle medley featured in the Master Quest edition of the symphony. And finally, the Temple Of Time intermezzo is part of the Master Quest edition of the symphony.

So is this like a touring concert where every year they remove a selection or two and add in a few others, and every 5 years they release a recording of the current configuration on CD?

I wouldn't quite put it like that.

It seems the 25th Anniversary Symphony CD release was meant as some sort of "preview" to promote said symphony, which itself was a "preview" for the proper symphony, the Symphony Of The Goddesses.

The reason I say "preview" is because it was announced right from the start the full symphony was comprised of an overture, a prelude (The Creation Of Hyrule) and four mouvements (Ocarina Of Time, The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and A Link To The Past), but the 25th Anniversary Symphony only presented two movements (The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess) and didn't feature the overture or prelude (but at the same time, that 25th Anniversary program was a unique presentation, as it featured many pieces that were not used in later editions).

So, so far, we had the 25th Anniversary Symphony presenting a partial symphony (along with a CD release featuring some (not all!) music from it), meant to promote the upcoming Symphony Of The Goddesses, a full symphony with an overture, a prelude, interludes and encores.

Then came the Symphony Of The Goddesses, which I believe was meant to be a one-time thing, to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the franchise, and after that they most likely intended to be done with it. But it was probably a huge success, so they decided to make a new edition (Second Quest), keeping the symphony as is, and only changing some of the interludes and encores.

Then this new edition was probably another big success, so they thought they'd continue, making yet another edition (Master Quest), once again with the symphony untouched, but with some of the interludes and encores changed. And before you know it, it was the 30th Anniversary of the franchise! So it was another opportunity to make a new tour...

Meanwhile, people slowly started realizing the CD released with Skyward Sword only featured a few pieces of the many that were performed during the 25th Anniversary concerts, as well as during the subsequent editions, so the producers of the concert most likely received a lot of requests for more music to be released on CD. And when came the 30th Anniversary of the franchise, it was the perfect opportunity to do that...

But there's a catch... The 30th Anniversary concerts were, much like the 25th Anniversary ones, a unique presentation: the symphony was not presented in full during those. There was no overture, no prelude, and once again, only two movements, the same two that were performed during the 25th Anniversary concerts: Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker. So once again, we not did not get the full symphony, instead we got (once again) the two movements we already had.

However, we did get a few pieces from the 25th Anniversary concerts (that were unreleased) that were reused for that new anniversary, as well as a few new arrangements. But the fact remains: all the stuff introduced during the Symphony Of The Goddesses, Second Quest and Master Quest concerts are still unreleased.

To put it more simply, chronologically we have:

2011: The 25th Anniversary Symphony (partially released on CD)

Features 2 symphonic movements (as a preview of the Symphony Of The Goddesses), plus a bunch of unique medleys and other pieces not used in subsequent editions.

2012: The Symphony Of The Goddesses (completely unreleased, minus the 2 movements from the 25th Anniversary Symphony)

Features a symphony with 4 movements (2 of them presented during the 25th Anniversary concerts, the other 2 new), an overture, a prelude, interludes and encores. All new stuff (minus the 2 movements previously mentioned).

2013: The Symphony Of The Goddesses - Second Quest (completely unreleased, minus the 2 movements from the 25th Anniversary Symphony)

Same as the 2012 edition, only with a few different interludes and encores.

2015 & 2016: The Symphony Of The Goddesses - Master Quest (completely unreleased, minus the 2 movements from the 25th Anniversary Symphony)

Same as the 2012 and 2013 editions, only with a few different interludes and encores.

2016: 30th Anniversary concerts (completely released on CD)

Same as the 2011 edition, only with some medleys and pieces replaced by new ones.

2017: The Symphony of The Goddesses - New Tour (completely unreleased, minus the 2 movements from the 25th Anniversary Symphony)

Same as the 2012, 2013 and 2015 editions, only with a few different interludes and encores, and an additional symphonic movement.

So the new CD release isn't exactly a recording of the current configuration: it's a recording of the program of the 30th Anniversary, which has little to do with the Symphony Of The Goddesses programs apart from the Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker symphonic movements. It's more of an updated version of the 25th Anniversary program.

True, but I was trying to keep it simple.

I could also have said that a select few pieces introduced in the 25th Anniversary Symphony, such as Gerudo Valley, were in fact reused in subsequent editions, but then it would have meant adding too many details to a post that was already quite lengthy!

10 hours ago, Fal said:

Also there are a few "chamber" arrangements out there.

Yeah, I know, but I don't think they're worth listing because (correct me if I'm wrong) they were just created so that pieces of the symphony could be performed by smaller ensembles during smaller events: they're basically the same arrangements, only with the orchestration adapted so that it could be performed with less instruments. So they're not really different arrangements with a really different take on the music, and can't really be considered as part of the symphony as they're not performed during it.

10 hours ago, king mark said:

how's the music in the new Zelda game?

Hear for yourself!

Here's the CD that came with the special edition.  It's obviously just a small sample of the game music, but much better quality than that game audio rip Jay posted.

Of course.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Here's the CD that came with the special edition.  It's obviously just a small sample of the game music, but much better quality than that game audio rip Jay posted.

Just a disclaimer,  IMHO this CD is a rather lame selection, there are bunch of cool cues left off in favor of more sparse or uninteresting materialm

• 1 month later...

Wow.. OK, so, this is obviously EXCELLENT news, BUT I'm not gonna get excited right now, because previous experiences have shown there are many ways it can disappoint (concert recording instead of studio recording, major pieces missing, etc.).

Still, that being said, more CD releases of the symphony can only be a good thing! Can't wait to get more info on that one! 2-CD (at least) studio recording release, pretty please!

By the way, I'd advise @Jay to wait until we have more info on that new release before getting the 30th Anniversary Concert album, because it might include most of (all?) the pieces that were on that album, only in better quality and with a better performance, thus making the 30th Anniversary album obsolete (in a way).

Breath of the Wild's score is so minimalist, I don't think there will really be a lot of concert hits from it.  It's brilliant in game though.

It's true, and the music that is there often uses exotic instruments heavily that could make it difficult given the system the Symphony of the Goddesses uses of using local orchestras.

But that main theme at least would be amazing:

Well, the upcoming album release will be another CD/DVD set, and will also be another live recording, not a studio recording. Bummer.

Interview: Striking A Chord With The Legend Of Zelda: Symphony Of The Goddesses

NI: Are there any plans to release a concert recording – whether that be a CD or DVD?

JMP: Announcement regarding this is coming in the near future. We recorded a live show in Las Vegas. It will be made into a DVD / CD set. Register for the newsletter on The Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses website for all the latest news, etc. Come see the show live! We just announced over 50 dates worldwide for our tour schedule.

Frankly, I'd gladly toss the DVD and replace it with a second CD. Bah!

Hopefully, the recording/mix quality will be better than on the 30th Anniversary concert album.

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Hopefully, the recording/mix quality will be better than on the 30th Anniversary concert album.

I didn't think the sound was all that bad, but you're probably much pickier about that kind of thing than I.

Oh, I agree! I'm happy we got that in the first place! Better than nothing at all! But I'm someone who always have to consider "What could have been" instead of simply focusing on "What is". I try to change that, but it's easier said than done!

Hopefully it sounds more like the Seiter site recordings (but with louder choir)

Hopefully the DVD shows the actual orchestra and not the onscreen footage

Yeah because "cues from seiters website" obviously means a fanmade recordings ;)

I believe you even commented on them! (basically saying "they are from a recording of a live concert and not a studio recording, unfortunately, but the audience is much better behaved than in the fanmade recordings of the 25th anniversary symphony LA concert")

Sounds like something I could have said! But damn, don't remember what I did with those cues...

----

On unrelated news: was looking for info on that Las Vegas concert Jason Michael Paul mentioned in his interview, to see if I could find the program of that concert (and thus know the track list we could expect for the CD), and stumbled upon this article:

Music Conductor Wins $767K Jury Award In Pregnancy-Discrimination Case

Wow.