Varese Sarabande releases Midway!

Koray Savas

It's a really solid score, full of ok to very good writing. I like suspense and action Williams of the 70's so there's something for me in here. Not one of his more striking works though, apart from the last two tracks. I was surprised to see that the Midway march was barely used in the score at all.

Karol

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

It's worth getting if your a Williams completist but I haven't listened to it that much either

It has a few stand-out cues but since they decided to not to have much music in the film and Williams's music is delegated to such a supporting role the score doesn't really offer lengthy pieces to develop ideas. I was truly surprised when I first heard the score (the Varese re-recording) that the march was only hinted at in the score and was heard only at the end credits really. Same goes for the Men of the Yorktown March. Both superb concert pieces but one can only dream what kind of cool variations JW would have written for the film if he had been given half a chance to score the action more fully.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I was listening to this yesterday and I hadn't realized (or I had forgotten) that "The Attack Begins" (coupled with "Matt's Crash") is the last score track before the credits on the varese release of the original recording. I saw the movie years ago on TV, and yesterday I was a little confused.. I don't remember the movie ending with the battle beginning? Most of the movie was about the battle!

Maybe it was mentioned, but I just noticed a little error in a track title on the original recording CD:

16. Good News For The Nimitz (1:18)

Should of course be "Good News for Nimitz". Sounds like someone at Varese confused the person, Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz, with the aircraft carrier and the class of aircraft carriers later named after him.

• 11 months later...
On 25/2/2022 at 9:15 PM, BrotherSound said:

The cue list:

1M1 Prologue

1M2 Doolittle's Raid

2M2 Yamamoto's Choice

3M1 The Signal Corps Con

3M2 Yamamoto's Second Meeting

3M3 Japanese Call

4M1 Hiroshima Harbor

4M2 Haruko's Dilemma

5M1 By Order of Nimitz

6M1 Canceling Operation K

6M2 Strawberry 5

6M3/7M0 The Attack Begins

7M1 Missing the Flatlands

7M2 Morning of the Battle

8M1 Red Parks Fighters

9M1 Scout Four

10M1 Ensign Gay Afloat

11M1/12M0 The Burning Carriers

12M1 Crash Landing

12M2 Good News for Nimitz

13M1 Matt Takes Off

14M1 Matt's Crash

14M2 End Title (Churchhill Version)

14M2 Churchhill Version Ext.

14M2 Alt. Coda

14M2 Alt Album Insert

14M2 End Title (Men of Yorktown Version)

Where does one find these cue lists? 

I watched the film again recently and was struck by the use of "Midway March" segueing into the credits. It didn't really fit for me — seemed too bombastic after the somewhat understated ending. Now that I see there might be at least four different (14M) cues for this finale, I'm curious as to how the decision was made to use "Midway March"?

Doubtless, I'll never know. But it seems odd to use a new bombastic march when "Men of the Yorktown" was used throughout the film, and too varyingly expressive degrees.