Varese Sarabande releases Midway!

Koray Savas

:|

:crymore:

:eh:

Really, i'm not reading this thread anymore. I'll download the score when i can (since my legit copy is 500 km away from me) and listen to it, and cherish it on my own...since it seems no body cares.

I dont care for reviews anymore, i just want to experience it without being biased by other people's (unexistant) opinions...

What are you talking about? It's not that nobody cares, it's simply that nobody has received it yet! I'll tell you all about it when my copy arrives, but it hasn't yet.

Ordered my copy this past Wednesday; hasn't shipped yet, as far as I can tell.

I'm glad it didn't sell out before I could buy a copy, but I'm a little surprised. For all intents and purposes, it's an unreleased score from right smack-dab in the middle of Williams' golden era. I would've figured it'd go pretty quickly.

Ordered my copy this past Wednesday; hasn't shipped yet, as far as I can tell.

I'm glad it didn't sell out before I could buy a copy, but I'm a little surprised. For all intents and purposes, it's an unreleased score from right smack-dab in the middle of Williams' golden era. I would've figured it'd go pretty quickly.

You mean like Family Plot? :P

So far it sounds a bit cooler with Williams conducting the cues (as in all scores that have been re-recorded by others). Williams has always a faster, edgier tempo in the action cues

ouch Track 17 and 18 sound somewhat bootleg quality

Overall it's a nice thing to have but definitely not a big revelation compared to the re-recording

This doesn't strike me as a must-have score, actually.

The march is great, yes, but I already have that (on the Japanese filmworks album). I am wondering whether I should get it at all.

So far I haven't read any glowing reviews here...

I'm the first one to even talk about it. Others haven't listened to it yet apparently. Only the tracks that have fast action music sound more distinctive due to Williams conducting. It's a bit like comparing the Black Sunday original tracks to those on the Silva screen suite

One thing is that Track 17 and 18 do have horrible sound

I'm the first one to even talk about it. Others haven't listened to it yet apparently. Only the tracks that have fast action music sound more distinctive due to Williams conducting. It's a bit like comparing the Black Sunday original tracks to those on the Silva screen suite

One thing is that Track 17 and 18 do have horrible sound

But did you listen to the album straight through? Is the album worth having? Is the music actually good, great, fantastic?

Oh well, I just ordered it! :)

I'll rank my Williams scores from 1970-Star Wars

1-Jaws

2-Family Plot

3-Towering Inferno

4-Poseidon Adventure

5-The Cowboys

6-Black Sunday

7-Midway

8-eiger Sanction

9-Earthquake

Well I guess Midway has to be one the least cared about JW scores of all times

Again, most people simply haven't received their copies yet. I haven't.

I gave my copy a listen last night and it was a perfectly fine score. Is it comparable to the likes of Empire or Raiders? No. But it was enough to keep me engaged and I enjoyed the music and am happy I have it in my library.

It's certainly light years better than the dreck that currently passes for 90% of the soundtracks these days.

I've listened twice through and read the booklet. While definitely not in the same league as that other WWII score that just got released, it's not bad.

Tracks 17 and 18 do indeed have a noticeable drop in sound quality.

At only 37 minutes it feels like it's missing something. This is covered in the liner notes where it talks about the film's spare scoring:

"Williams, as composer, instinctively knew that his job was to get out of Sensurround's way."

What's there is good but there just isn't a lot of meat to sink your teeth into.

The Men of the Yorktown theme is what's going to stick with you, and not only or even particularly the march.

With some rather nice variations throughout the score, it's a warm feel-good theme and yields a respectful smile when it comes up.

There's nothing here that's going to blow you away. Don't spend your last discretionary penny on it.

But it's nice to have if you can swing it.

Well I guess Midway has to be one the least cared about JW scores of all times

Again, most people simply haven't received their copies yet. I haven't.

I think it's more because a decent rerecording already exists. I still haven't even ordered mine yet - I'm planning on waiting to see what other titles are released before the year is over, and hopefully having the money afterwards to purchase Midway.

ROTFLMAO, not even close.

So what are you saying? That Midway is dreck?

It's one of my least favorite Williams scores. Quite boring aside from the march, and even that feels like it's about to go somewhere but then falls flat. Despite all that though, I hate it when people claim anything written by Williams is instantly better than everything else out there. It's ignorant.

It's one of my least favorite Williams scores. Quite boring aside from the march, and even that feels like it's about to go somewhere but then falls flat. Despite all that though, I hate it when people claim anything written by Williams is instantly better than everything else out there. It's ignorant.

(1) I didn't claim that *anything* written by Williams is better. Just this score.

(2) I didn't claim it was better than everything else out there. Just 90% of what's currently out there.

(3) It's my aesthetic opinion of what I personally like and do not like. It's no more or less ignorant than yours.

Not everything out there! 90% of what's out there!

It's certainly light years better than the dreck that currently passes for 90% of the soundtracks these days.

And that's a pretty fair assessment, considering all the dreck out there...

Hyperbole.

You guys take things too literal. Should I assume that 90% statistic is exact? If I pick 10 random scores for you, Midway is going to be better than 9 of them?

Yeah, pretty much. If you take the last 10 major releases for the sort of films that I like, only Super 8 was worth listening to. The rest-- from the kind of films that used to generate complex scores with rousing and memorable themes, films like Thor, Spider Man, etc.-- all they consist of are endless arpeggiated string ostinatos over electronic drums, and the 'themes' (such as they are) mostly consist of long sustained chords in the brass. Compare this year's X-Men movie to Superman (both superhero films in the same genre) and the difference in scores is striking. Everything from musical complexity to good old hummable themes is lacking in in the former and on grand display in the latter.

You may like that sort of thing, but for me, it's dreck, and it's pretty much de riguer these days. And no, not liking the same things you do does not make me ignorant. Your aesthetic tastes are not an objective benchmark by which everyone else is judged.

I ordered mine the day it was announced. I still haven't had a shipping confirmation. Anyone else in this position?

I ordered a few days after the announcement, but no shipping notice. Varese sent me a reply about being busy, which I can understand, but it's been a few weeks now.

I ordered mine the day it was announced. I still haven't had a shipping confirmation. Anyone else in this position?

I ordered a few days after the announcement, but no shipping notice. Varese sent me a reply about being busy, which I can understand, but it's been a few weeks now.

Has your credit card been charged yet?

my brother has told me the CD is waiting for me...3 million years away from home :)

He may be on to something! :lol: