Did you know what the hell Tintin was before you knew Williams scored it?

King Mark

51 members have voted

1. 1. Did you knw what Tintin was?

• Yes, and I read some of comics
    • Yes, but only vaguely aware of it
    • No

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope - I had never even heard of it before I saw the announcement that Spielberg and Jackson were going to be making it

I had read some of the comics before the film was announced and was aware of the characters and comics from very early on. They are widely available in Finland.

I rather preferred Asterix and Obelix to Tintin when I was younger.

I rather preferred Asterix and Obelix to Tintin when I was younger.

Asterix is awesome. But I find it funnier now that I'm older.

But it can't be repeated enough: Asterix is awesome, from the script to it's art style.

We read many of them in the 70's and 80's in Iceland, Tintin, Asterix, Spirou, Gaston, The smurfs, Lucky Luke and more. I read them all over and over again.

I had read some of the comics before the film was announced and was aware of the characters and comics from very early on. They are widely available in Finland.

With covers by Hiltunen, I hope?

Alas no. Only Hergé ones.

Been a huge fan all my life. I've had a framed Tintin poster framed on my bedroom's wall since I was 10. I've read and own all the Tintin books. I was beyond excited when I read the news Spielberg was making a movie, specially by the prospect of a JW score

Nope. Though in my line of work, we recognize it as SnSn, or Sn2 to be more accurate. It's rare to find tin bonded with itself in such a dual-atom molecule, as it usually forms salts with more reactive elements.

What?

Nope. Though in my line of work, we recognize it as SnSn, or Sn2 to be more accurate. It's rare to find tin bonded with itself in such a dual-atom molecule, as it usually forms salts with more reactive elements.

What?

It's alright Sheldon. You can still hang out with us, the cool kids.

So, who's this Tinman you guys are talking about lately...?

He is The Chosen One. He'll bring balance to Williams.

He is Tuna Tin the son of Sardine Tin.

Option 1, except change comics to TV show.

Wasn't a huge thing in my childhood but I liked it because it was like Indiana Jones.

I'm American, by the way.

Grew up with them, (I'm in the UK) but I just can't bring myself to call them comics. They were wonderful, sturdy hardback books with a cover that could be wiped clean of sticky pop/sweet/crisp marks (very important when you're a messy squirt), and I read them all. The later tv animations were crap in comparison - didn't capture the wonderful essence of the stories and the fabulous illustrations. Mind you, I have to admit to preferring Asterix and Obelix - so, so funny. Also, even at that young age I was uncomfortable with some of the dodgier ideas/drawings in Tintin - it was the height of Rock Against Racism in the UK and there was my book with terrible stereotypical pictures of thick-lipped Africans (I think it was Tintin in the Congo). Not good.

We read many of them in the 70's and 80's in Iceland, Tintin, Asterix, Spirou, Gaston, The smurfs, Lucky Luke and more. I read them all over and over again.

Imagine having to grow up in America with rubbish like The Fantastic Four, Superman, Thor....

Also, even at that young age I was uncomfortable with some of the dodgier ideas/drawings in Tintin - it was the height of Rock Against Racism in the UK and there was my book with terrible stereotypical pictures of thick-lipped Africans (I think it was Tintin in the Congo). Not good.

Mmm, I don't think I read all of the comics but from the ones I do remember there was often more cross cultural / cross racial friendship going on than would occur even in my town in 2011. In that way TinTin was almost ahead of his time in some of the interactions going on within the stories of the comics. No doubt there are colonial elements in some of them, and accentuating physical features is always going to be controversial but in other ways the stereotypes lay upon tendencys within the culture he was in, which are accurate even today. On a side note, I've always found Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom to be very much like a TinTin comic in the whole feel and look of the movie. It certainly lays it on thick at times about the Indians and Chinese, and the film's portayal of Kali is a half truth. But at the same time again there is always this thing running through the film where common ground is found between the characters, finding everyone of whatever culture and race ultimately has the same needs, the same value, and the same pains and redeeming qualities in the same way I remember from the TinTin comics.

I'm American, by the way.

Yeah, I think we got that when we saw your avatar with "A is for Victory". Only an American can mix up the letters A and V.

You'll be sorry come World War III, Euro-trash swine!

• 2 weeks later...

It is interesting how some comics come emblematic of different countries and are ingrained in the early reading of children there. In Finland the most influential comic book must be Donald Duck, the magazine having a big circulation. It contains stories with all the different Disney characters and the later comic book additions to their cast drawn by a variety of artist from Don Rosa to Carl Barks. It is basically the material children learn to read to here plus it contains some of the most vivid and inventive language and play on words that widens children's vocabulary as well.

And Tintin seems to be a more of a Central European thing.

We certainly have had the Tintin comics here and it is known to nearly all but as I said before I do not think it has been anywhere near as popular and Donald Duck or Asterix.

I didn't learn to read with Tintin but, together with some other comic books, it inspired me to write when I was very young.

I aslo remember seeing the Castafiore Emerald episode of the cartoon show and liking it, before I read that one. Also, I think it took me abit more to get into Asterix than Tintin.

I love Asterix, btw.

I had hear of Tintin, but didn't know anything about him. I remember seeing the drawn characters of him and Snowy here and there throughout my life, but I never had a context. Tintin just simply wasn't a big part of American childhood. The books seem like a lot of fun though.

And Tintin seems to be a more of a Central European thing.

I think i as a central-south-western european thing.

United kingdom, ireland, Germany, france, Netherlands, belgium, Italy, Portugal and Spain...

I'd heard of the character but didn't know anything about him or the peripheral characters. I was surprised that Spielberg thought he could make a mainstream film from it.

Tonight, I'll find out what all the fuss is about...

Edit - pretty damn good. I hope there are more. And I loved Serkis as Haddock.