WAR HORSE score premieres Saturday on WQXR (Streaming online as well)

publicist

It's just a preview. He says during the preview that when he plays tracks from the CD on Saturday he won't talk over them.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, Tintin is pretty great, but THIS is more up my alley!

No matter what, in this day and age, IMO, dramatic Williams always beats action-adventure Williams.

This will get more playing time than Tintin.

Wow! I'm just blown away. Every single note I heard there was utterly beautiful. This is going to be a true masterpiece, the "Bonding" theme (I think) from the trailer brings me close to tears every time I hear it. Loved the extra phrases in the little piano theme too. The opening track sounds utterly spectacular, having been to Dartmoor many times, the music describes the English countryside so perfectly. The "humourous" music is so different from the zany comedy we got in Tintin, it's got such a sense of gravitas at the same time. And as filmcomposer described, the action music is very unique and completely thrilling. I really can't wait to hear this, and see the film. Thank you John.

Very promising highlights thus far.

I'm sure some will disagree with the host's assertion that Spielberg and Williams excel at melding humor with drama (see the reactions to Minority Report).

Hopefully on Saturday, the host will be sensitive to those in his listening audience hoping to avoid plot spoilers.

The next track I will preview is called "Everybody in the Entire Movie Dies"...

Hollllly moly. I knew it would be good....but this is sounding like it may go beyond my expectations. Well beyond them. One more month...I can't wait!!

If this doesn't win Williams his Oscar this year I'll have officially lost all faith in the Academy...

The way it opened was very beautiful. Obviously The maestro is channeling Vaughn williams string technique(Also Horner's favorite technique to use in scapes) but using his own harmony which feels like a new piece written by a master that belongs with these giants. The war music is promising as well! I'm so blown away by the maestro's latest work. We are so lucky to still have him with us and give us this excitement. I really haven't been blown away this instantly for a good while, not by even the latest hyped composers. The maestro just set a very high bar.

I guess i'm venting out after listening and realizing how much i missed Good Film music that stands brilliantly on its own. I don't know what we will all do after john williams.

That was just phenomenal! I had no doubts that Williams would deliver after I saw and heard the trailer. Of course after hearing more I am even more positive. Williams in lyrical mode is a beautiful thing but to hear him in English pastoral mode is just brilliance. The flute and strings opening indeed evokes Vaughan Williams type of writing. There is real warm gentleness to the music which is probably juxtaposed by the harshness of war later on also in the score. Beautiful music. I can't wait to hear the whole CD.

P.S. Can anyone record the Garland show when it airs? I would hate to miss the presentation of complete tracks of this gorgeous music.

That was just phenomenal! I had no doubts that Williams would deliver after I saw and heard the trailer. Of course after hearing more I am even more positive. Williams in lyrical mode is a beautiful thing but to hear him in English pastoral mode is just brilliance. The flute and strings opening indeed evokes Vaughan Williams type of writing. There is real warm gentleness to the music which is probably juxtaposed by the harshness of war later on also in the score. Beautiful music. I can't wait to hear the whole CD.

P.S. Can anyone record the Garland show when it airs? I would hate to miss the presentation of complete tracks of this gorgeous music.

Show will be archived on the site and available for later listening.

Loved the writing in the early moments of the 'Capture' track, the way the brass is set against the menacing growl of low strings.

Nah. I think the film might be a more powerful experience that way.

I am just not that strong. :P More Williams music! More!

My prayers have been heard: Williams utilizes british classicism (Vaughan Williams) at least in the first 2 cues - and JANE EYRE and ANGELA'S ASHES testify that he's brilliant at it.

It will be a winner, i'm certain!

My prayers have been heard: Williams utilizes british classicism (Vaughan Williams) at least in the first 2 cues - and JANE EYRE and ANGELA'S ASHES testify that he's brilliant at it.

It will be a winner, i'm certain!

I the person doing always the goblin happy dance over Williams' new music was always very certain of that. ;)

I have been waiting for another film where Williams had the chance to express his lyrical side again in the vein of those above mentioned scores that are simply the best music from the Maestro.

Egad, this isn't John Williams, it's Jaughan Williams! This could be a really special score.

I'm also very much liking the Waltonesque action music in the second half of the Charge and Capture cue.

:worship::john:

This music elicited an instant emotional response from me...so little new music does that for me anymore. I just can't get over it! I can't wait to hear the premiere of full tracks, this is sounding like its going to be everything I had hoped for and more.

Now we just need Williams to bring back Tim Morrison for Lincoln and I'll be satisfied even if Williams never writes another score beyond it!

Love it, love it, love it!

And I've fallen in love with the string theme that featured prominently in the trailers. Classic memorable JW theme. My heart leapt up when the piano finished at the end of that clip and the strings started. Curse the radio guy for talking over it!

Really cool that he was listening for the first time along with us to... a good real-time reaction.

In the 5 minute preview, he mentions the track titles of tracks 1, 3, 8, and 14.... some might consider the track title of #14 to be a spoiler, but its up to the individual to decide I guess (it doesn't mention any specific characters in the title)

I have a problem about listening WQXR on web. I click play button but it doesn’t start streaming. How can I listen? Should I sign up that site?

Edit: Ok. I found WQXR in Itunes :)

It is almost 3 AM in central Europe and I am almost sleeping, hope the premiere gives me some extra energy to listen to whole broadcast :-D

By the way, even though the show should be available for listening on the Web site later on, I'm going to try to record it using DAR.fm. (Haven't used the service before, though.)

Am I imagining things, or is the volume level constantly changing to get everything playing at the maximal possible volume? The effect is actually quite jarring to me... welcome, loudness wars!