WAR HORSE score premieres Saturday on WQXR (Streaming online as well)

publicist

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“The action pieces in War Horse are pretty neat, and while they don’t use the same style as say, Forest Battle, or Indy’s First Adventure in concert scoring, they certainly come close…and are DIFFERENT than his latest generic action music that has been accompanying most of his films (cue the xylophone and upper woodwinds chirping out endlessly). The few action cues in War Horse have great unique personality.”

“War Horse does NOT have a ton of action material. But that is what is so cool about the ones it does have. Most of the score is so spellbinding and beautiful that when all of a sudden something millitaristic and ugly crashes through the background, it is incredibly striking. The action music in War Horse is less about fun adventure ala Indy, and more about nastiness of war. It’s harsh and brutal in most cases. There is definitely a rhythmic drive (done not with percussion, but more with exciting instrumental figures) but also strong melodic fragments.

“The action pieces in War Horse are pretty neat, and while they don’t use the same style as say, Forest Battle, or Indy’s First Adventure in concert scoring, they certainly come close…and are DIFFERENT than his latest generic action music that has been accompanying most of his films (cue the xylophone and upper woodwinds chirping out endlessly). The few action cues in War Horse have great unique personality.”

“War Horse does NOT have a ton of action material. But that is what is so cool about the ones it does have. Most of the score is so spellbinding and beautiful that when all of a sudden something millitaristic and ugly crashes through the background, it is incredibly striking. The action music in War Horse is less about fun adventure ala Indy, and more about nastiness of war. It’s harsh and brutal in most cases. There is definitely a rhythmic drive (done not with percussion, but more with exciting instrumental figures) but also strong melodic fragments.

Pretty much.

War Horse does NOT have a ton of action material. But that is what is so cool about the ones it does have. Most of the score is so spellbinding and beautiful that when all of a sudden something millitaristic and ugly crashes through the background, it is incredibly striking. The action music in War Horse is less about fun adventure ala Indy, and more about nastiness of war. It’s harsh and brutal in most cases. There is definitely a rhythmic drive (done not with percussion, but more with exciting instrumental figures) but also strong melodic fragments.

Kind of like Legends Of The Fall I think.

Not fair to War Horse to put it up against E.T.. The man will never write anything that good ever again.

Williams in Zimmer mode. :lick:

Happens to the best of them. Poledouris did it in the late '90s.

But seriously, the "old" pieces sound fresher to me now than for a long time. I should listen to single tracks more often - more attention available, less tiring out after the first few cd tracks.

...but for the love of all that is holy, KILL THE LIMITER! I can't stand it anymore... each crescendo sounds like it's pushing me away from the orchestra and out of the hall...

Fuck I screwed up my recordings by closing the player. It was playing E.T. and now it jumped right into another War Horse Track

I hope someone got all of it..I have no idea how late I am in the show

Sounds like Williams has blended his late 80's/early 90's style with his 21st century style in a perfect way for this score. The only bad thing now is waiting 2 months for the CD.

Sounds like Williams has blended his late 80's/early 90's style with his 21st century style in a perfect way for this score. The only bad thing now is waiting 2 months for the CD.

November 21st. Less than a month.

November 21st. Less than a month.

Ah, thanks for reminding me. Guess I was thinking of the movie's release date. That makes it much better! :)

I like the selection.

Something to wet the appetite, but not revealing too many major tracks.

Good night everyone.

(And I wouldn't mind having a special surprise in my inbox tomorrow morning ;) )

Truly a master. What a control on harmony he has. To me this is worthy of an oscar just for the harmonic progression.

Yes, we know AMPAS is all about harmonic progression in its Oscar selections. ;)

Truly a master. What a control on harmony he has. To me this is worthy of an oscar just for the harmonic progression.

Yes, we know AMPAS is all about harmonic progression in its Oscar selections. ;)

They progress harmonically against common sense.

What I heard was beautiful...just beautiful.

80 and still going strong. The maestro just can't be beat.

- KK

My DAR.fm recording of the whole show is available in four parts: LINK DELETED

(Audio quality is definitely wanting, but it's something. I'm sure others will have better sounding recordings out soon enough.)

ADMIN NOTE:

07 - You may embed videos of - or include a link to sites that stream - copyrighted material. However, links to sites where copyrighted material can be illegally downloaded are not allowed. You may link to legal streaming/download sites or to places where people can listen to your own compositions or recordings, for example.

Listening to my (not so wonderful) recording again, I actually have some concerns about the degree to which the melodic writing in the action track resembles current prevailing trends and patterns in contemporary film music. We all want Williams to try new things, but I'm not sure this is the direction we want him to go in.

Full broadcast: LINK DELETED

ADMIN NOTE:

07 - You may embed videos of - or include a link to sites that stream - copyrighted material. However, links to sites where copyrighted material can be illegally downloaded are not allowed. You may link to legal streaming/download sites or to places where people can listen to your own compositions or recordings, for example.

Full broadcast:

LINK DELETED

ADMIN NOTE:

Individual tracks: (Re-uploaded)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4go1bdN6sp0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyFWg5-99cM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dscRLH71oE

Ah, much, much better sound quality.

I'm digging the dissonant opening minutes of "No Man's Land" -- it clearly Williams but it's not A.I. or Close Encounters or War of the Worlds rehashed.

Despite my remarkably mixed feelings about the action music, I think all in all this will be terrific score from Williams.

Hi guys, here is my contribute LINK DELETED Hope you will like it ;)

The pack include FLAC files which form the online broadcast. Far the best quality from the previous recordings.

ADMIN NOTE: