The Adventures of Tintin VIDEO GAME Thread (Original music by Christophe Héral)

Muad'Dib

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAHrqesp79M&feature=feedu

Could this be our first glimpse at Johnny's score??? I surely hope so. I'm loving what I'm hearing!

hmm would be great, but the orchestra sounds a little to small to me.. maybe it's the game score, which is based on Williams' style?

I think this may just be a video game score based on JW's style as well. It sounds small to me. Thats what she said. What? She did say that.

Hmmmmm...yeah, definitely doesn't sound like a Williams recording. I suppose it's possible that this was re-recorded for the game based on material written by Williams, but there's nothing in there that really screams Williams, compositionally speaking. More like someone else writing in a pretty similar style, but not going so far as to crudely mimic Williams. Could be wrong...

Christophe Héral is writting the score for the game, apparently, to be performed by the Star Pop Orchestra. I doubt that's Williams' music. The Harry Potter movies didn't use any of JW's music, did they?

Christophe Héral is writting the score for the game, apparently, to be performed by the Star Pop Orchestra. I doubt that's Williams' music. The Harry Potter movies didn't use any of JW's music, did they?

yes I supoose it is a similar situation - well hopefully not THAT similar, 'cause the later HP gamescores were all better then the live-action scores ;)

EDIT - maybe a coincidence, but if you listen to the Olympic Fanfare, recorded by the Star Pop Orchestra on the myspace site - the acoustics actually sound very similar to the Tin-Tin Trailer music. must be the same recording facility

http://www.myspace.com/starpoporchestra/music/songs/Olympic-Fanfare-5620061

EDIT - maybe a coincidence, but if you listen to the Olympic Fanfare, recorded by the Star Pop Orchestra on the myspace site - the acoustics actually sound very similar to the Tin-Tin Trailer music. must be the same recording facility

http://www.myspace.com/starpoporchestra/music/songs/Olympic-Fanfare-5620061

The game's Wikipedia-page has a link to that MySpace-page as well, and it lists Christophe Héral as the composer. So, no Williams here. Move along.

Video games can't use the music from their film counterparts. I forget why but there's some rule. I recall David Buckley (I believe) saying he couldn't use Powell's and Gregson Williams' music from Shrek for the video game.

A large amount of Star Wars and Indiana Jones games beg to differ with you. Not to mention a plethora of other games.

Yes. The thing with Star Wars and Indiana Jones is - George Lucas owns everything.

You won't hear Zimmer in the Rango game, Powell in the Shrek game, Elfman in the Spider-Man game, etc. It's why Giacchino composed entirely new scores for Up and LOST.

I think the case is some times it is legally impossible to use the music from the film in the game and other, the concurrent development of both media at the same time does not allow the film score (recorded late in post production) to be used in the game that must be finished before the films release (and probably before to the film score recording).

I can't believe that it is cheaper to comission a new composition, rent a rec. facility plus a full symphony orchestra (sometimes Choir too) than to just reuse what already exists...

are reuse-fees really that high?

You guys are funny. Of course video games should feature original music, and not just re-use film tracks. They feature unique levels featuring the characters doing different things for different amount of times and it makes sense to have an original score composed for them.

It's kinda like "Well why would they hire John Williams to do an original score for The Empire Strikes Back? They could just re-use the score from Star Wars!"

It's kinda like "Well why would they hire John Williams to do an original score for The Empire Strikes Back? They could just re-use the score from Star Wars!"

Yep. That's really the same kinda thing... :rolleyes:

So you think all video games based on films should just use the score tracks recorded for the film, with no original music at all?

The video game for Superman Returns didn't feature any of Williams' themes. I believe there was some legal explanation.

So you think all video games based on films should just use the score tracks recorded for the film, with no original music at all?

you're not getting what I mean...

Here we have cheapo (not the gamebudget but the gamedesign itself) movie tie-in games, that are just there to get a few more dollars while the movie is in the cinemas.. games you see for every animated film for example.

Games that are so short, that you can beat them in one afternoon..

Don't think that these games deserve the soundtracks they have (harry potter games, Beowulf.. or whatever)

now original games should of course feature new music!

I'm sure that the fact music from a film being used or not in a Game spin-off has to do with rights, budget and schedule. Sometimes it's possible, sometimes not.

Yeah. Factor in the first four HP video games scores, none of which used Williams' themes but were in the same vein. Then they changed composers for the fifth one onwards, and they were able to license "Hedwig's Theme" for the next scores. However, the digital score releases had to omit "Hedwig's Theme" for rights issues.

You guys are funny. Of course video games should feature original music, and not just re-use film tracks. They feature unique levels featuring the characters doing different things for different amount of times and it makes sense to have an original score composed for them.

most of the time, videogame tie-ins do not feature the film's music themes. Its preferable a derivative score based on the film's music, not exact tracks.

Though if done well - or maybe if the film material is SO good (star wars & LOTR) tracking music works perfectly

Some more footage/audio including an interview with PJ and Spielberg, the trailer begins at the 1:50 mark to the end.

Post Edited*

See the previous page. That's Christophe Héral's original score for the game

I'm sure that the fact music from a film being used or not in a Game spin-off has to do with rights, budget and schedule. Sometimes it's possible, sometimes not.

Yeah. Factor in the first four HP video games scores, none of which used Williams' themes but were in the same vein. Then they changed composers for the fifth one onwards, and they were able to license "Hedwig's Theme" for the next scores. However, the digital score releases had to omit "Hedwig's Theme" for rights issues.

Yeah, the LEGO Harry Potter game based on the first four films actually got the rights for those scores, as well.

Yeah, the LEGO Harry Potter game based on the first four films actually got the rights for those scores, as well.

I think the main problem isn't to get the rights to use the original film soundtrack "as is" (with some editing, of course), but to re-compose existing compositions to integrate them into other newly composed stuff. After all that's what James Hannigan did for his HP-scores, since the lion's share of them was completely original.

Hi guys.

I couldn't wait for the trailer of the Tintin movie because I can't wait to here the theme by John Williams. But the movie trailer only had some stock library music. But:

The trailer for the Tintin video game was released today. As Spielberg and Peter Jackson produced the game it's very likely to have the John Williams Tintin music. In the trailer there is some very John Williams-esque music to be heard. I do believe this is where the Tintin theme can be heard for the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAHrqesp79M (The heroic theme starts at 0:48 but there is some nice music leading up to it as well)

If I'm wrong and it's some library music then it is at least a very good copy of JW's style.

What do you think ? Is this from the pen of the master ?

Kalli

Thanks Faleel for pointing the other thread out to me. I hadn't seen the latest posts there.

Well, the game trailer music has some obvious Williams technique, both in orchestration and composition. (The exciting rhythm in the build up to the theme similar to many of JW's most known heroic themes, the running high pitched flutes, the fanfare based on the first and fifth note of the scale...But then it's easy to take the obvious things and copy them. And since the game has a different composer from the film then I guess it's not by JW.

Kalli

Hi guys.

I couldn't wait for the trailer of the Tintin movie because I can't wait to here the theme by John Williams. But the movie trailer only had some stock library music. But:

The trailer for the Tintin video game was released today. As Spielberg and Peter Jackson produced the game it's very likely to have the John Williams Tintin music. In the trailer there is some very John Williams-esque music to be heard. I do believe this is where the Tintin theme can be heard for the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAHrqesp79M (The heroic theme starts at 0:48 but there is some nice music leading up to it as well)

If I'm wrong and it's some library music then it is at least a very good copy of JW's style.

What do you think ? Is this from the pen of the master ?

Kalli

See the previous page. That's Christophe Héral's original score for the game .

We know for a fact that the score to the movie has already been written and recorded, correct?

Is there any information on if the score for the game has been written and recorded yet?

Since the game is not pre-rendered, I could see them doing the recording later in the process.

Nope. It's Debney-ish, with a Cutthroat Island vibe.
Can't go wrong with that; I like it! :D

Hi guys, there is new trailer for a upcoming Tintin video game which contain very energic theme which could actually be the one written by Williams. What do you thin, is it his work? Is it Tintin's Main Theme?

Hi guys, there is new trailer for a upcoming Tintin video game which contain very energic theme which could actually be the one written by Williams. What do you thin, is it his work? Is it Tintin's Main Theme?

See the previous page. That's Christophe Héral's original score for the game .

Sorry guys, I was so excited about that piece of music that I loose my mind for a moment and started new topic O:-) ...

You were quicker on the draw in merging. ;)

Out of curiosity, does Jason mod this place full-time? He is scarily quick on the draw, NOTHING gets by his eagle eye!