The Themes of The Adventures of Tintin

Jay

When I hum the fast version, and when I hum the slow version, they don't seem to be the same to me. But I'm probably wrong.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fast version was played quietly in the scene I mentioned, and when played that way with a smaller ensemble, it does not seem to be the same theme as the slow version of the treasure theme. Related, surely. But not exactly the same. Does anybody else who has seen the movie have an opinion on this?

Yes it would be nice to get a confirmation if this is a separate idea for Bagghar or a variation of the Treasure theme. To my ears the Bagghar version is just a slight variation on the few basic notes of the Treasure theme. If I had any knowledge of music theory I probably could elaborate further how this and that has been changed to turn the other variation into the other but alas I can't.

It's like Russians theme in KOTCS again. Many different versions of that one, if I remember correctly.

Karol

Yeah that is an excellent example of a motif that is very variedly used in the score from only few notes to the long version in the end credits.

Sir Francis and The Unicorn is great in the movie. There is some slight tracking in there (or inserts, I don't know), but it still works marvelously well, doesn't it? Well, both parts of the sequence are great.

Karol

Yes, it's probably one of my favourite parts of the movie.

I especially loved the ingenious editing in the sequence when Haddock tells the story of Sir Francis and Red Rackam. The various transitions reminded me of the beautiful transitions Spielberg used in The Color Purple.

Sir Francis and The Unicorn is great in the movie. There is some slight tracking in there (or inserts, I don't know), but it still works marvelously well, doesn't it? Well, both parts of the sequence are great.

Karol

Yes, it's probably one of my favourite parts of the movie.

I especially loved the ingenious editing in the sequence when Haddock tells the story of Sir Francis and Red Rackam. The various transitions reminded me of the beautiful transitions Spielberg used in The Color Purple.

Actually

the transitions reminded me slightly of the SAW movies.

:P Not the scenes themselves, mind you, but the transitions.

I think I made out another thematic connection, namely a foreshadowing quote from the unicorn theme in "The Adventures of Tintin". Listen to the harpsichord at 2:11 in track 1 (shortly before the statement of Tintin's theme in minor key). If we look at these two bars, we see that the contour greatly resembles the core of the unicorn theme: Rising and falling motion in each bar, delimited by the notes d (both times) at the bottom (shown in red), and b-flat (first time) and high f-d (second time) at the top of the melodic range (shown in green). The first group of notes in each bar (d e f) is different from those in the standard presentation of the unicorn theme (d f a), but identical to the start of the third phrase of the unicorn theme (marked with a bracket below), which reoccurs in different shapes throughout the score (most prominently at the end of "Finale").

unicorn_adventures.png

Another great little detail and connection between Tintin's and Unicorn's music. Excellent observation Chris! I guess it shows how Williams forms a musical vocabulary of the film so that these musical ideas sound like they are from the same fabric. On the intellectual side it is a clever nod, linking the hero to the McGuffin. :)

I think I made out another thematic connection, namely a foreshadowing quote from the unicorn theme in "The Adventures of Tintin". Listen to the harpsichord at 2:11 in track 1 (shortly before the statement of Tintin's theme in minor key). If we look at these two bars, we see that the contour greatly resembles the core of the unicorn theme: Rising and falling motion in each bar, delimited by the notes d (both times) at the bottom (shown in red), and b-flat (first time) and high f-d (second time) at the top of the melodic range (shown in green). The first group of notes in each bar (d e f) is different from those in the standard presentation of the unicorn theme (d f a), but identical to the start of the third phrase of the unicorn theme (marked with a bracket below), which reoccurs in different shapes throughout the score (most prominently at the end of "Finale").

unicorn_adventures.png

:thumbup:

Why didn't you highlight the F as well since it fits the plan too? ;)

Okay, couple of questions for those who have seen the movie: (if necessary, mark with spoiler tags!)

1. When does the brief oboe solo play in the movie? I know, in the last scene, but what is actually happening when it plays, i.e. who is talking and about what?

2. In "Introducing the Thomspons" what do the drunken, swaying strings represent? 1:21-1:27 and 1:34-1:41? Was it when

Tintin is stumbling around in the middle of the street, and gets almost run over by passing cars?

Thanks!

Okay, couple of questions for those who have seen the movie: (if necessary, mark with spoiler tags!)

1. When does the brief oboe solo play in the movie? I know, in the last scene, but what is actually happening when it plays, i.e. who is talking and about what?

I think that sounded just as they were entering the hidden room behind the brick wall.

Hmmm, you sure? When they are just going in?

Wasn't it when

they are talking, when one of them is spinning the globe, etc. etc.?

It appears when they find the statue.

2. In "Introducing the Thomspons" what do the drunken, swaying strings represent? 1:21-1:27 and 1:34-1:41? Was it when

Tintin is stumbling around in the middle of the street, and gets almost run over by passing cars?

Thanks!

Yes.

What about this?

For those who have seen the film (I'm going to on Thursday), did you notice any other musical themes that aren't included in the ost?

picking pockets..... :P

What do you mean? there is a new theme in there?

For those who have seen the film (I'm going to on Thursday), did you notice any other musical themes that aren't included in the ost?

Nope.

The music is very well represented on the OS album. No major cues (except for that horn solo of Tintin's theme) and no themes at all are missing on the CD.

It's a joke.

Well, now that I saw the film, maybe it isn't.

In Picking pockets cue (if it's the one I'm thinking of) there was indeed a new theme, although it's more of a source cue..

2 more observations:

-I would put the Bagghar theme from 5.30 and on (5.46 it's just the "tail")

-the theme of track 1 (for which i have the notated score in page 3 of this thread) , appears one more time (i don't remember if someone mentioned it already), but I think it was tracked the 2nd time..

I would call it a new theme however, (now that I saw the brilliant opening scene), perhaps the "following theme" , "sneaking theme" or something relevant..

You are talking about picking pockets?

well, i consider a theme even if it appears once and is associated with something.

Here I would call it the picking pocket theme.. ;-)

It was too characteristic and obvious and linked with the character and his movements to ignore it..

In that case every melody in the entire score is a "theme".

The point of this thread is to catalog the ones that appear across multiple cues

Ok, i would just call it a minor theme.

and not everything is a theme. i mean every musical gesture that qualifies as a theme (you can't take a small bridge passage and say it's a theme).

and the Bagghar theme appears 2 times and it's just 5-6 seconds.

well, this is longer and more "complete" structurally as a theme..

I just came back from seeing the film and I have a few observations.

After seeing the movie the musical dramaturgy is much clearer and I can say quite certainly that The Bagghar theme and the Treasure theme are two different things as some have surmised. You were right Jason. ;)

So that's another new theme to the glossary.

The Treasure theme appears only thrice and we have those renditions on the album.

The Bagghar theme appears thrice as well and it is heard twice on the album.

As Josh said the Secondary Mystery theme appearances are almost certainly all on the album.

The film is full of short Unicorn and Tintin's theme renditions that are unreleased but are all hampered by their brevity more of an accent on a scene or dialogue. The Unicorn theme seems really to be the main theme of the score.

And although I am repeating an old song here I have to mention that Tintin's Secondary theme is indeed Tintin's Secondary theme for his sleuthing and doing something dangerous or secretive or stealthy.

The film is full of short Unicorn and Tintin's theme renditions that are unreleased.

You just couldn't shut up, could you? Now, KM is gonna moan even more!

We have to stop shielding him from the harsh realities and pampering him in his temper tantrums. Cold slap in the face and get over it is what I prescribe.

After seeing the movie the musical dramaturgy is much clearer and I can say quite certainly that The Bagghar theme and the Treasure theme are two different things as some have surmised. You were right Jason. ;)

Haha, they've been differentiated that way in the may post for a while now already :P

Hey until I have heard and seen with my own ears and eyes it ain't settled. ;) Now it is.

The film is full of short Unicorn and Tintin's theme renditions that are unreleased.

You just couldn't shut up, could you? Now, KM is gonna moan even more!

We have to stop shielding him from the harsh realities and pampering him in his temper tantrums. Cold slap in the face and get over it is what I prescribe.

Yes, he should just accept that the original Star Wars is vastly inferior to the LOTR trilogy.

Given the simple basic structure of Snowy's Theme I would not wonder if it pops up in JWs or other composers' music. What JW builds around that small motif, how he develops it and embellishes it makes all the difference.

Indeed. If you go looking for similarities you will always find something somewhere.

The point is, when writing for Snowy, does anyone think JW at any one moment went thought his old sheet music, found that but of flourish there and though "AHA! Guess I'll be home early tonight..."

Haha, they've been differentiated that way in the may post for a while now already :P

This score is so rich on themes and motifs... i always thought the Bagghar theme is a variation of the treasure theme

In the film these two themes are treated quite separately. I initially thought they were linked too. But of course could be that JW makes a subtle nod between then since Bagghar and the Treasure are linked as our heroes go to find the last piece of the puzzle there.

• 3 months later...

As I didn't want to open a new topic for this, I ask it here: Does anyone else notice a slight similitarie to Snowy's Theme in the following clip? From 3:47 to 4:05 approx...

Maybe it's just me... However, it somehow makes me happy that Williams could have been thinking of Disney classics such as Bambi when composing the score. I don't know exactly why, it just does.

I noticed something else in Snowy's Chase (OST version) that I believe hasn't been noticed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFGsQLa_ZUE

Listen at 3:00. That theme in low brasses, which lasts about two seconds before Snowy's Theme jumps back again... Isn't that a variation of the Unicorn's Theme?

Indeed. I noticed it quite a while ago, Williams is one clever son of a gun. They don't just build a church for anybody you know ;)