The Adventures of Tintin MUSIC Discussion thread

Jay

If the Tintin adaptation is popular in North America I hope that it convinces a major studio to adapt something like Spiderman, or equivalent, using performance capture. I think it'd be really fascinating to see an adaptation of a given illustration style from a well-known American comic. It makes aesthetic sense to me. Performance capture is rich with possibility I'd say.

I must say that I'm listening to the soundtrack (Tintin) for the fifth time and I'm starting to like it, although it's very different from what JW uses to compose, in my opinion.

I've been able to use a premium Spotify account and works super fine for me! There's a lot of JW there :)

One thing that I love about Tintin and that seems to be missing in John Williams' other works, but also in modern film music in general, is a more aggressive, crisp, and accented use of saxophones. In JW's other uses of saxes, like CMIYC, it's very jazzy: laid back, smooth, usually legato. In Tintin it's more orchestral. Like the altos in "Snowy's Theme," or the bari variation of Haddock's theme in "Flight to Bagghar." But we still get the more familiar use in "Adventures of Tintin" (which is still awesome and unique for different reasons).

Saxophone is one of my least favorite wind instruments, but it's so refreshing to hear it featured so prominently in an orchestral setting. I love it.

• 2 weeks later...

This may have been mentioned before, but I'm pretty sure we hear the B Unicorn Theme (about half a minute into "Secret of hte Scrolls") in "Adventures of Tintin."

I must say that I'm listening to the soundtrack (Tintin) for the fifth time and I'm starting to like it, although it's very different from what JW uses to compose, in my opinion.

How in the world is it different from what Williams usually composes? It has mannerisms from every Williams style in history. It's like a sample book of Williams' strengths.

I see it's growing on you, then ;)

:lol:

The score is still on my most played list after all these weeks. And what Ross says is true. It is top notch Williams but it certainly is not a total transformation or radical change from what we have come to expect from the Maestro. There are small new details and nuances in the orchestration that we might have not heard from him before (extensive use of saxophones and accordion etc.) but all his classic strengths are there.

I see it's growing on you, then ;)

:lol:

The score is still on my most played list after all these weeks. And what Ross says is true. It is top notch Williams but it certainly is not a total transformation or radical change from what we have come to expect from the Maestro. There are small new details and nuances in the orchestration that we might have not heard from him before (extensive use of saxophones and accordion etc.) but all his classic strengths are there.

A friend of mine refused to listen to anything than the more gothic tracks because all the 'bouncy golden-age stuff' gives him headaches. :biglaugh:

It seems to be a common affliction, the irrational dislike for Golden Age styled music. One of my friends can't stand what he calls the "marching elephant music" of Rózsa and his like. :lol:

If it is gothic he likes I would suggest Goldenthal to him then. Although sooner or later that will give you a head ache as well. All those ponderous minor chords little by little crushing the life out of you while you are still enjoying it. ;)

It seems to be a common affliction, the irrational dislike for Golden Age styled music. One of my friends can't stand what he calls the "marching elephant music" of Rózsa and his like. :lol:

As a fan of the "marching elephant music" I admit I laughed at that :lol:

I guess it just makes me happy.

• 3 weeks later...

I received the disc on Christmas and now I'm listening to it when ever I can.

I like how Williams interpolated Gounod's "Je Veux Vivre" at the beginning of The Pursuit of the Falcon :)

I like how Williams interpolated Gounod's "Je Veux Vivre" at the beginning of The Pursuit of the Falcon :)

Strangely enough, I didn't even notice it until I saw the movie. I now have a new appreciation for the Bianca Castafire track.

I don't hear new scores until I see the film, and I wasn't thrilled by what I heard in the movie proper, but the stuff in the credits was great.

I was disappointed that there was so much music. It didn't need to be wall-to-wall, but most animated adventure movies are scored in this way. The movie was OK, the score didn't blow my skirt up, but I suppose I will have to watch the film again.

That said, there have been many John Williams scores I have enjoyed thoroughly after hearing it the first time (i.e. seeing the film). The last one was Memoirs of a Geisha, which happened to be his last fully original score. I didn't have that "Oh my God, this is an awesome score!" feeling when the credits finished on "Tintin," though that last piece was fun. I think many opportunities were wasted in this score.

I think many opportunities were wasted in this score.

This is the same BS I read about War Horse. If you didn't like either of the scores it's ok but this statement is odd.

btw If you're a fan of great film music do listen the score before seeing the film. In Tintin's case the music opened to me after multiple of

hearings and after knowing it well, I enjoyed the film more. A procedure learned by an experience.

But I'm agreeing with you, Hornist. Perhaps my sentence construction was a mess, but what I meant to say is that I never wait to see a movie in order to listen to the score

The last time I listened to a score before the movie was "The Phantom Menace." Not only was I upset that the CD gave away plot points, but I wasn't focused on the film because I kept antcipating music I remembered from the CD ... and it detracted from my experience. And since every other aspect of the film I am watching is new to me, why not have the music be new as well? Since then, I have never regretted my decision to wait until seeing the movie to hear a score. After seeing the film and then listening to the score again on CD/iPod, sometimes my opinion changes, but rarely is it for the better. That was true most recently for "Revenge of the Sith," a score that is mostly background noise in the film and a little more textured outside the film.

I'm not saying experiencing the music in the film first is the best way, but it's the way I do it, and I couldn't offer my opinion of the score without mentioning that.

I stand by my "missed opportunities" comment. One way a movie becomes memorable long after you leave the theater is because the music stuck in your head. That is what John Williams does best, but I didn't feel that with this score, or with "War Horse." As uneven as "Geisha" was, the movie was aided by that gorgeous score and wonderful main theme. While the music in "Tintin" was quite good (better than just about any composer could write), it didn't stick with me.

I have a feeling John Williams was a little rushed on both scores this year. But then again, that was true on "Munich" and "Geisha," and both are excellent scores. I have high hopes that since the only score he's slated to do next year is "Lincoln," we'll get something that will knock our socks off.

I stand by my "missed opportunities" comment. One way a movie becomes memorable long after you leave the theater is because the music stuck in your head. That is what John Williams does best, but I didn't feel that with this score, or with "War Horse." As uneven as "Geisha" was, the movie was aided by that gorgeous score and wonderful main theme. While the music in "Tintin" was quite good (better than just about any composer could write), it didn't stick with me.

If that would be my benchmark for filmmusic i like, i had to delete 80% bf my iTunes library (counting those i don't even care to see). The are myriads of reasons why a score doesn't come through, like mixing, genre etc.

After giving this score a break in the last few weeks (been in a War Horse overload), I listened to it again today and I was struck by how fresh and vibrant in sounded. This is one for the ages

After giving this score a break in the last few weeks (been in a War Horse overload), I listened to it again today and I was struck by how fresh and vibrant in sounded. This is one for the ages

It really is a Gem among the modern film music.

It really is a Gem among the modern film music.

I can't but agree. :)

That's an overkill of a statement if I ever saw one.

Small detail: In Sir Francis and the Unicorn at around 1:33 there is a sound coming from left that sounds like a cell phone! But maybe it is some instrument? It does fit the music, but has the typical cell phone electronic quality.

The FYC academy promo, Ricard.

tintin.2.jpg

Ok, lets analyse this so we dont get our hopes too high...

FYC 1 = OST 1

FYC 2 = OST 2 0:00-1:34

FYC 3 = OST 5 0:00-2:02 (cointains the unused 'entering the grounds'??)

FYC 4 = OST 4 (with microedited material?)

FYC 5 = OST 6

FYC 6 = OST 8 (additional 30 secs material from 'introducing cap haddock?? or including whiskey stash and not including anything from introducing haddock)

FYC 7 = SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEFART!11!!!!

FYC 8 = OST 11 (additional 30 seconds...

FYC 9 = OST 7 (additional 20 seconds.. desert rescue??)

FYC 10 = OST 9 (0:00-2:18 + microedited material??)

FYC 11 = OST 9 (2:18-end) with microedited material? both FYC tracks 10 & 11 together are 27 seconds longer that the OST counterpart.

FYC 12 = OST 12

FYC 13 = OST 15 (plus 10 seconds of microedited material)

FYC 14 = OST 16

FYC 15 = OST 16 with microedited material? its 15 seconds shorter than the crane fight 3 parts + haddock confornts shackarine though.. i hope its the mixing...

FYC 16 = OST 17 (1:07-2:34) though the FYC track is shorter... or maybe its (0:00-1:07)

FYC 17 = OST 17 (2:34-end)

FYC 18 = Edit of OST 7 + OST 2 + OST 18 i suppose.

So aside from capturing the plane not much, aside from microediting.

We talked about it briefly in the War Horse For Your Consideration thread, but since we didn't know the track list, no one here bought it. An auction containing the track list didn't show up until yesterday

The last thing you should do is post a link to an ebay auction when your trying to win the item. Hey I want this, so let me alert everyone that may bid against me.

Small detail: In Sir Francis and the Unicorn at around 1:33 there is a sound coming from left that sounds like a cell phone! But maybe it is some instrument? It does fit the music, but has the typical cell phone electronic quality.

I hear it too, it's a synth. You can actually hear it before 1:33, it's just most prominent at that moment.

I saw a Tintin dog chow commercial today.

:lol: Glad to see they are using every available method of selling more stuff with this movie. Even dog food. That opporturnity does not present itself very often.

could the 'old enemies meet' music at the crane fight be composed (reused) by williams?

It fits so well, maybe he rescored the other part but maintained the original version for the later scene.

Im saying this because the ending of Capturing the plane (where we see the karaboudjan sailing) is almost equal from the last view of the karaboudjan in the 'escaping the... namesake'

Have the variations of the Unicorn's Theme that were used in the trailer been released officially? I assumed they were from "Sir Francis and the Unicorn," but the trailer version includes a low brass counterline that isn't heard on the OST.

28 seconds into this trailer:

Now that I think about it, that counterline sounds like a reference to Tintin's theme. Rhythmically they are essentially the same.

Dude, that's the exact same music I already pointed you towards earlier today

Which Tintin site was it, that had the piece of music, that was pretty much the music from the Trailer without SFX playig in the background?

http://www.us.movie.tintin.com/

See here: http://www.jwfan.com...ndpost&p=762620