The Adventures of Tintin MUSIC Discussion thread

Jay

But an isolated score is when the movie's visuals play with no dialogue and sound effects; Only music. Something that is only possible to do in this case by using the OST track.

Sheet music for the original cue wouldn't line up with the film since the film was re-edited after the original cue was recorded. That's why there's a revised version on the OST and in the film.

come on it's old news...didnt you know?

Still im lazy to click on it...

And anyway clemmensen reviews arent that interesting after all :P

I don't know what you guys have against the Christian, but I honestly think he is one of the best reviewers out there. The extraordinary amount of detail in the review makes great stuff. His reviews are witty, informative and definitely entertaining. Its hard to find reviewers like that nowadays. Definitely one of the best out there!

- KK

The image being used for the Japanese cd release has been widely seen here in the UK in promotion for the film and it does conjure that sense of a busy, globetrotting story. That said, the wonderful image that appears on the US website of Tintin brandishing his torch, with Snowy at his side, is the most elegant and well-pitched of them all I'd say.

That said, the wonderful image that appears on the US website of Tintin brandishing his torch, with Snowy at his side, is the most elegant and well-pitched of them all I'd say.

Link?

With JW's music tracing and enriching the action in the big pirate action sequence of Tintin, I was reminded me of just how clearly Steven Spielberg keeps his storytelling when it's time for some elaborate , and indeed joyfully over the top, balletic action.

Sir Francis and the Unicorn isolated score:

http://vimeo.com/31752096

Massive spoilers for the uninitiated aside, that is an amazing sequence. So much in fact that I took it home with me and slept on it.

As expositional flashbacks go, I seriously think this is up there with The History of The Ring, in terms of execution and just getting the job done. And then there's the music...

Yes thank you Alexander! I absolutely love that sequence, both music and film. Mesmerizing.

Well mickey mousing is sometimes underrated...

I have also one question for the good-eared: When Sir Francis is walking down in the inferno(also seen in that russian video)

the music is playing rich bombastic sound, is there some kind of organ? The sound is so full and peculiar.

Track 7 , 4:32

Well mickey mousing is sometimes underrated...

I have also one question for the good-eared: When Sir Francis is walking down in the inferno(also seen in that russian video)

the music is playing rich bombastic sound, is there some kind of organ? The sound is so full and peculiar.

Track 7 , 4:32

It certainly sounds like an organ is playing underneath. Indeed a great dramatic addition. :)

And yes this score keeps on giving. I note new nuances and details all the time whether in is something about the thematic ideas or orchestrational details.

And the Duelling Pirates Theme on track 9 is in such a classic style it brings a smile to my face every time. Williams' music is so vivid and has such clear dramatic outline that you can easily imagine what is happening even though you havent' seen the film. The Red Rackham / Sir Francis duel was so clearly woven into the fencing styled music it was a joy to hear it in the film after listening to the soundtrack and go "Aha! I knew it!" and follow the different twists and turns of the sword fight as much on the screen as in the music. It is a delightful sequence in the film, exuding the old pirate film feel.

Same goes for track 7 where the deep ponderous bass drums and cymbal clashes in the middle section obviously correspond to cannon fire seen in the film.

Here's my own review of Tintin on ColonneSonore.net:

http://www.colonnesonore.net/recensioni/cinema/1857-the-adventures-of-tintin-secret-of-the-unicorn-.html

It's in Italian, so you probably have to use Google Translator or something like that if you want to grasp something :)

Here's my own review of Tintin on ColonneSonore.net:

http://www.colonneso...e-unicorn-.html

It's in Italian, so you probably have to use Google Translator or something like that if you want to grasp something :)

An excellent review Maurizio! I really enjoyed it (through the magic of google translator) and your enthusiasm for this score and eloquence really leapt off the page. I can't but whole heartedly agree with your assesments. :)

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I've been avoiding some of these threads for fear of being spoiled, so can anybody tell me: where is that Hook rip that FilmComposer mentioned so long ago?

He was probably talking about the version of Haddock's Theme that plays in the track "The Capture of Mr. Silk"

Oh okay, thanks. I hear the similarity in the first pick up note, but after that note it sounds completely different IMO. Not even close to being a self plagarism.

I think the entire score has brief moments that make you think of former scores, but NOTHING comes CLOSE to being plagiarism of anything.

Yeah, I think it just shows that Williams has a definite style rather than he's running out of ideas. Like how most of Philip Glass' music can be considered similar to his other works in some ways.

Hi gang

The immensely playful spirit of the Tintin score, dictated in large part by the movie it was written to complement, of course, does, for me, take us right back to JW's work (his identifiable 'style') on movies such as Fitzwilly and Family Plot.

I think that this sense of ebullience is replete throughout JW's work; it's one of the great strengths of the man's creativity. It's a tone that's become synonymous with JW's treatment of an idea ... of its 'spirit' ... as a way of musically capturing the energy of certain characters and scenarios.

Just think of the theme The Adventures of Mutt, for example, which, aside from its connection to Indy 4, functions brilliantly, in its own right, as a zestful expression of youthful energy.

Ah, music...so easy to enjoy, so difficult to write about.

James

Hi gang

The immensely playful spirit of the Tintin score, dictated in large part by the movie it was written to complement, of course, does, for me, take us right back to JW's work (his identifiable 'style') on movies such as Fitzwilly and Family Plot.

I think that this sense of ebullience is replete throughout JW's work; it's one of the great strengths of the man's creativity. It's a tone that's become synonymous with JW's treatment of an idea ... of its 'spirit' ... as a way of musically capturing the energy of certain characters and scenarios.

I agree wholeheartadly. I too caught a "Fitzwilly Overture" vibe all throughout Tintin, esp. the clever use of harpsichord. That score indeed also has a French vibe, nodding to early 20th century French composers stylings, like Milhaud, Poulenc, Honegger and of course Ravel--or you could say as well that there's quite a lot of Stravinsky-ian influence all over the place.

Hi gang

I agree wholeheartadly. I too caught a "Fitzwilly Overture" vibe all throughout Tintin, esp. the clever use of harpsichord. That score indeed also has a French vibe, nodding to the style of early 20th century French composers stylings, like Milhaud, Poulenc, Honegger and of course Ravel--or you could say as well that there's quite a lot of Stravinsky-ian influence all over the place.

Good observations guys! Don't forget the often mentioned Prokofiev either. :)

This score really sounds like Williams was having such fun with this subject matter and it translates into the ebullient spirit that permeates the whole sound of Tintin from orchestration and instrumentation to the actual writing and themes. And I have to say that The Adventures of Tintin track has become one of my favourites on the album. I can't seem to get enough of the quirky jazzy atmosphere and twists and turns of this particular mini Tintin adventure. :)

I wasn't too keen at first, but bloody hell it only went and grew on me.

In the end I'm glad they went with the jazzy arrangement instead of the original Indiana Jonesesque orchestral version.

Certainly, the Adventures of Tintin track suits so perfectly the title sequence that it was written to enrich: it's a wonderful mini-movie in itself.

Opening credits seem to be something of a 'lost' art now given the tendency for many films to go straight from studio logo into the story and yet an opening title sequence can so wonderfully encapsulate the entire spirit of a movie. Imagine if studios ever rekindled (highly unlikely) the 'overture' sequence for some movies ? As I recall, this is an element of the films East of Eden and Jeremiah Johnson to name but two.

Thinking about the title sequence for Tintin, imagine such a sequence being made to chart the key action and characters from all of Steven Spielberg's films as a director.

James

The opening animation had an interesting function in the film, as the Tintin equivalent of the Indiana Jones prologues. The character is presented in an animation without dialogue explaining the kind of stuff that happens to him as if it was the most normal thing.

In the end the use of opening credits or even when or how to put the title basically depends on the film.

The opening animation had an interesting function in the film, as the Tintin equivalent of the Indiana Jones prologues. The character is presented in an animation without dialogue explaining the kind of stuff that happens to him as if it was the most normal thing.

In the end the use of opening credits or even when or how to put the title basically depends on the film.

Yes the two fold purpose I think was to provide the fans of the comic books an affectionate nod and on the other hand provide the viewers new to Tintin a short introduction to the spirit of the adventure that is found in the books. And it worked very well in my opinion all across the board, Williams' music capturing the period, the dramatic gestures, the style of the credits' animation and the spirit of the character.

Thinking about the title sequence for Tintin, imagine such a sequence being made to chart the key action and characters from all of Steven Spielberg's films as a director.

That would be wonderful!